Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Grad School + Law School LORs  (Read 904 times)

AJaKe

• Sr. Citizen
  • No, a law student!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Grad School + Law School LORs
« on: July 29, 2007, 03:54:03 AM »
I just recently decided to hold off on Law School for a year or two and get my Masters Degree.  I am applying to Masters programs this fall and I have a question about asking for LORs.

Is it ok to ask for a rec for Law School (sent to the LSDAS) and then several for grad programs?(I mean the same rec but copies with the professor's letterhead, envelopes, etc)  I haven't narrowed down the programs I am applying to yet so I figured several sealed envelopes would be ok.

Or should I ask for just a grad school rec.

This is for one specific teacher who I adored and would give me an amazing rec that I'd like to have for Law School as well...  I just think he might retire soon so I want to have it in LSDAS...

I don't want to provide more work for the professor but I'd really like a rec for both areas...

LSN
- 3.1 / 162

Accepted: UF, FSU, Rutgers-Camden(10k + T-Shirt!), Penn State, Temple, American, UPitt, Villanova
W/L: GMU, W&L, W&M
Ding: NONE!

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: Grad School + Law School LORs
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 12:15:04 PM »
Begging your pardon, but if you want to be a lawyer, why are you bothering with a Master's Degree?

But if you are set on your decision.... get your grad school things squared away. When you are ready to apply to law school, get your LORs for law school then. Keep in touch with your professors-- send a Christmas card, an email to check in, etc. Maintain the relationships. You may also end up with profs in your Master's program who will write you LORs for law school.
Vanderbilt 2010

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 12:18:16 PM »
agreed ... if you arent going for a few years don't get the LORs right now ... but keep in touch with the one or two profs from UG that you think you might want to write LORs in the future.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
agreed ... if you arent going for a few years don't get the LORs right now ... but keep in touch with the one or two profs from UG that you think you might want to write LORs in the future.

I disagree with this. I remember one of my professors telling us that if we wanted to get recommendations, it was far better to do it before graduation. You can always keep the letter on file or have him keep it on file until you need it at a later date. I did a graduate program before law school (with a few year in between) and while my advisor was great for a job reference, she was unbelievably bad with the law school recommendation. I am sure if she had it on file, it would have arrived in a more timely fashion.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 11:50:02 AM »
Good point. I didn't decide until about 6 years after UG that I was going on to another degree, so in my case I just relied on former professors who had become very good friends in the years since. I guess not everyone maintains those types of contacts.
Vanderbilt 2010