Law School Discussion

another question...

another question...
« on: July 29, 2007, 01:20:47 AM »
so i am following your advise which is reviewing right and wrong answers... i don;t get what this incorrect answer means:

the proportion of calories from alcohol in a diet is more significant for body fat gain than are the total calories from alcohol.

can someone please transate this into ENglish?

Re: another question...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 02:06:46 AM »
so i am following your advise which is reviewing right and wrong answers... i don;t get what this incorrect answer means:

the proportion of calories from alcohol in a diet is more significant for body fat gain than are the total calories from alcohol.

For example, if you consume 1000 calories per day, and 10% of the calories is from alcohol, then the answer is saying that 10% of the calories from your diet contributes more to fat gain than the 100 calories from alcohol. Do you see how that doesn't make any sense?

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 09:28:31 AM »

It looks like English to me and it means exactly what it says.

For example, if you consume 1000 calories per day, and 10% of the calories is from alcohol, then the answer is saying that 10% of the calories from your diet contributes more to fat gain than the 100 calories from alcohol. Do you see how that doesn't make any sense?

oh thank you!! i thought i was going nuts when i thought like that when i saw the answer choice

EarlCat

• i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 04:17:04 PM »

It looks like English to me and it means exactly what it says.

I don't think your analysis is correct.  All it's saying is that it's the porportion, not the total, that matters regarding body fat gain. 

Say two people both consumed 100 calories from alcohol.  If one person has a 2000 calorie diet, the proportion from alcohol is only 5%.  If another person has only a 500 calorie diet, the proportion 20%.  The answer choice would lead us to believe, although both consumed the same total calories from alcohol, the differing proportions will play a significant role in determining their respective gains in body fat.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 10:07:40 PM »
thanks people!