Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what major?  (Read 7255 times)

RedlegChang

• View Profile
Re: what major?
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2004, 01:15:07 PM »
Seriously, pick a major that genuinely interests you. Otherwise, you'll just be wondering why the hell you're studying whatever you picked and you'll end up hating life.

l3x

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2004, 07:03:41 PM »
heh i know..thats why i was asking for your opinion on english..because i read all the time on my free time and i know thats a major focus..do u think it would be a good choice?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2004, 08:14:35 PM »
I think you should not declare a major right away.  Most likely the school you're at will have basic requirements to take (1 lab and 1 nonlab science, a certain number of humanities and a certain number of social sciences)

If this is the case, use your first semester or two to get them out of the way.  Explore a little.  Take these basic classes in areas that interest you (english was one you mentioned) and just go with it.  You'll find stuff you hate, but hopefully you'll find something you're passionate about.

Do what you like and waht you're interested in, and enjoy college.  Just make sure to maintain the best gpa you can, and worry about everything re: law school in a few years.

gobears

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2004, 03:58:03 AM »
A word of caution: don't think that simply because you enjoy reading, that you'll necessarily also enjoy the study of English or English Literature.  Sure, there's a lot of reading involved, but reading great works of literature in the English language is one thing, and studying them, interpreting them, arguing over them, writing papers on them, etc. is quite another.  The enjoyment of the former does not necessarily lend itself to the enjoyment of the latter.

Which is why I totally agree with jacy above, as well as all the other posters, about taking the time during your first year or so to explore what subjects genuinely interest you.

However, if you do find you genuinely like English or Literature, then I think it'd make for a great "pre-law" major.  It will accustom you to the voluminous reading you have to do as a law student, hone your analytical and textual criticism skills, improve your writing, and so forth. 

You might also want to supplement your major course of study in English with classes like Rhetoric or Philosophy which will (in the eyes of the admissions committees) offer a good balance or counterpoint to the perceived "flighty creativity," etc. of an English or Literature major, as this will likely be a concern for law schools.  (Speaking of which, if you can purchase or borrow "How to Get Into the Top Law Schools" by Richard Montauk, I think it'll prove helpful to you: there's a section in that book that gives a run down of the various majors and their strengths and weaknesses as perceived by law school adcomms.)

Of course one slight drawback is that a lot of prospective law school applicants seem to major in English (Montauk points this out as well).  But nowhere near as many as other majors like Political Science or History, so it should still fare well for you overall.

Anyhow, good luck to you in college and beyond. :)

l3x

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2004, 07:38:04 AM »
thanks! ;D

Corsair

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2004, 09:29:51 PM »
"I would go for a hard-science like EE, CS, etc if you are interested in science at all..."

computer science if you want to become a lawyer?

dr_draino

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2004, 09:31:45 PM »
1)  pass your first semester classes

2)  Then pick your major

3)  Hard science is great for law school.  I'm stupid enough to have studied science for 10 years and am now going on to law school.

4)  Go out, smoke some pot and get drunk like most kids your age.

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2004, 09:36:34 PM »
4) Go out, smoke some pot and get drunk like most kids your age.

I have to add, have tons of sex.  Nail as many cheerleaders or coeds as you can.  Once you get into law school, you won't have time to chase chicks.  Better to get it out of your system first. 

Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

DESI

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2004, 11:01:48 PM »
"I would go for a hard-science like EE, CS, etc if you are interested in science at all..."

computer science if you want to become a lawyer?

do not do CS under any circumstances.  if you do want to go the technical route, do engineering.  it naturally leads to patent law.  if you want to go the science route and do patent law, you need a PhD or at least 5 - 7 years of research experience.

AuburnChick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2004, 02:18:11 PM »
At the risk of sounding cheesy, college is the  only opportunity you will ever have to learn about something that really interests you.. even though my polisci/philosophy combo is not desirable (poli sci is too common, and philosophy profs at my college give almost straight b's), i wouldnt trade it for anything.  remember that you are attending undergrad for MANY reasons beside the only that you seem to be really concerned with--setting yourself up for lschool! take advantage of undergrad-i wish that i had attended more of my classes because they were so darn interesting.  dont be an engineering major just to make yourself more marketable, unless you are truly interested in engineering. ;D
158, 3.3
Accepted: Samford, South Texas, Georgia State
priority waitlist (as of July 17th, still no "sorry you're rejected" courtesy call..jerks!): U Richmond
Rejected: U Houston, Emory, Wake

ATTENDING-SAMFORD!