Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what major?  (Read 7254 times)

l3x

• View Profile
    • Email
what major?
« on: September 22, 2004, 07:40:49 AM »
i am really worried about which major to pick for my undergrad studies..im 17 and will be choosing a college any day now..my main problem is choosing a good major..i know pre law is not a prerequisite, but i want to be the most prepared for law school..anybody have any opinions on which one would help best? i saw a poll on the internet that 35% of attorneys said liberal arts was the best major to pick..anybody with an opinion? (i know there is no "best" major)

M2

Re: what major?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 12:38:19 PM »
Stay away from PolSci and Psychology....you will be part of a huge crowd.

I would go for a hard-science like EE, CS, etc if you are interested in science at all...

thechoson

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 01:38:26 PM »
I'd say go for the hardest (which are usually the most marketable) major that you can get at least a 3.0 in.

This 3.0 cutoff is magical for law schools and especially for potential employers, in case you change your mind.

Thus, don't do EE cause you think it will get you a job if you can only pull a 2.5.  But, if you have a knack for engineering and can do 3.0 work, then I'd say do EE or Chemical Engineering.

If you are good at business type courses and can handle some quantitative work, then a B.S. in Economics would be swell as well.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 03:02:30 AM »
Fashion merchandising.

8)

rushmore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 03:13:19 AM »
Economics.  Its hard, it teaches you how to think, and its surprisingly fun.  Of course its not the most unique.

M2

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 11:54:12 AM »
oh yeh eco is loads of fun...lmao

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 12:11:37 PM »
Pick a major you can actual get a job in if you need to.  A BA in liberal arts doesn't qualify you for much, same with just a BA in psych or phil.
Pick something that interests you, not something someone tells you is the undergrad choice for law school.

l3x

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004, 12:38:33 PM »
hey again guys, thanks for the replies..ive heard some stuff on english as a good major..and im a guy who loves to read..what do u think?

robbief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Right?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2004, 12:55:38 PM »
Do journalism...it's the best.  It's fun, it improves your writing in every aspect and if need be, and if you're good, jobs aren't that difficult to find.  Don't expect to be rich or be able to afford lunch, but it's fun, at least.

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2004, 01:04:20 PM »
Whatever you do, do something that interests you.  You don't want to be stuck in a major that bores you to death or that causes your grades to take a nosedive.