Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UWisc v. UMN.... a last-minute waitlist pull....  (Read 1894 times)

Seventeen

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Hope is a risk that must be run."
    • View Profile
UWisc v. UMN.... a last-minute waitlist pull....
« on: July 28, 2007, 07:31:44 PM »
Help...

I have bet set to attend UWisconsin for a while now...I secured an apartment in Madison that I love(first months rent already paid) & I have a private gym membership and underground parking. I have visited twice, once for the ASW and then again to apartment hunt. I really like Madison-- after four years in East Lansing, Madison feels very comfortable. I also liked UW's campus, although the law school facilities aren't anything to rave about.

Yesterday, I missed a call from the Dean of Admissions at UMinnesota. She said she was admitting people off the waitlist and wanted to talk to me. Now I have to wait until Monday for confirmation, but I'm hmmming and hawwwing all weekend thinking about it. I was in the Twin Cities when I was young, but all I remember was being freezing cold & going to the Mall of America.

I understand that weather is comparable, and bad, at either school. Being from Michigan, I know I'll survive even though I'll be miserable like everyone else. Should I pass up the mental and monetary investment I have made with UWisc for higher-ranked UMN? Last minute apartment hunting doesn't sound too exciting, but if it's an investment in my future...

Personal details:

• I do not want to remain in either MN or Wisc after graduation, but if it must happen-- so be it… but I must consider the WI Bar Privilege
  • As of now, I aim to work in Chicago.
  • I like cities, but I have only lived in suburbs/college towns thus far in my life.
  • I would like to be on a journal, and if Law Review doesn’t happen, UMN has many other options.
  • Neither school has an academic program that would suit my utopia… I am interested in doing something under the realm of media, entertainment, communications, technology law.

If anyone has any advice, insight, about either school… why you picked one over the other, why you would pick one over the other… please, help a stressing 0L.[/color]
"We're adults. When did that happen, and how do we make it stop?" ~Grey's Anatomy

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: UWisc v. UMN.... a last-minute waitlist pull....
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 08:42:32 PM »
IF you feel comfortable giving up the parking and the apartment and all that other stuff then I say go for UMN ... considering your ambitions I think it will be a little easier for you from UMN.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 09:37:46 PM »
UW's in-state tuition is significantly cheaper than UMN (if you're in-state at one, I believe you can be treated as in-state at the other): $12,653 per year vs. $21,984 per year (in 2006).  Out of state is roughly the same.  The salary ranges are roughly equivalent, though only 50% of UW reported as opposed to 81% from UMN.

Rep. scores are almost the same for both: 3.5/3.7 for UW, 3.5/3.8 for UMN.  They both place similarly on the east coast, and are by far strongest within their region.

I would go with what you know and have planned for.  I don't think there will be significant differences in opportunities between the schools -- except perhaps clerkships, where UMN excels.

Edit:  I see that you desire to work in Chicago.  While I don't have the statistics to back me up, I can't help but think UW will do a little better there due to its closer proximity.  Too bad UIUC isn't on the option list, they would have been ideal.
2L

Seventeen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 12:36:48 PM »
Thanks to you both... I will be paying out-of-state tuition at each school, and from what I can tell, it is impossible to get in-state for 2L and/or 3L.

Anyone else have an opinion? HELP!
"We're adults. When did that happen, and how do we make it stop?" ~Grey's Anatomy

Seventeen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 01:04:12 PM »
I've never been to the Twin Cities, so I do not know if I would prefer it there. What is it like? I have family in the Milwaukee area, as well as in Northern WI and the Chicago suburbs. Being from Michigan, WI is also just.... closer. 7 hour drive vs 12; a ferry across Lake Michigan if I'm lazy, 2 hours from cheap Chicago flights... If I don't end up working in Chicago, I am not opposed to returning home and working in metro-Detroit. I also need to consider that if I stay in WI, I don't have to take the bar.

That said, the state of WI is overflowing with attorneys, so I'd try my best to get out.

I really wish I had time to get up to UMN to visit, and have someone hand me an apartment. I have read through LSN, and met at UWs ASW, students who chose UW over UMN and students who were going to UW only if UMN doesn't let them in. Most of these students are from WI and MN though, so they have in-state tuition to consider as well as the reciprocity between schools (paying between in-state and out-of-state... great deal). As a total outsider, I don't know if their reasoning is smart for me to consider.

I see that UMN is a "Top 20 Law School" but from what I have read it is essentially regional.

Ahhhh.... I need all the help I can get.

Seventeen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 01:24:38 PM »
Thank you for your help... I guess what I need now is to hear from people not from MN and UW on their insight.

tuesday

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 01:32:03 PM »
I was also choosing between UWisc and UMN, and ended up going with UMN for a number of reasons, the biggest being location.  I went to UWisc for undergrad, and while I loved it & Madison in general, it is very much a college town, and Minneapolis is an actual city (though there is a definite campus area).  I had a hard time passing UWisc up, as an in-stater it is nearly impossible to say no to that tuition, but my desire to be in a city outweighed the cost difference.  

It is a shame you can't go visit Minneapolis first...my guess is you'd really like it (assumption based on nothing other than the fact that most people do...)

As far as finding an apartment, I don't think you'd have too much trouble.  I found one within about an hour of being there a couple weeks ago...there are a lot of apartments to be had.  I'd look at craigslist to get a general idea...

Dangerzone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 11:16:31 AM »
From what I've read and researched, Minnesota and UW are very similar in terms of employment in that both schools place well within the midwest. I've heard that one reason why grads from MN don't place as well as a top 20 law school should is because many prefer to stay in Minneapolis, so perhaps there is greater potential for a Minnesota grad to land a job over a UW grad. However, I agree with a previous poster that landing a job in Chicago would be much easier as a UW student given the very close proximity. Also, there are quite a few UW Law alumni in the LA/San Diego area so going out west is not impossible.

Also, don't buy into Wisconsin having too many lawyers, I know there has been news recently of a republican in the Wisconsin state government who wants to cut funding to the law school because he believes there are too many lawyers in the state, but I've read that the lawyer:people ratio in Wisconsin is actually less than the national average. Taking advantage of no bar exam in Wisconsin is thus a valid option.

To sum up, you cannot go wrong with either law school, just go with the one that feels right to you. Small things might tip the balance in favor of one school or another. One tiny detail that I thought of when I was torn over two very equal schools was proximity to my home and the convenience of returning home for family emergencies/holiday.

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 11:23:52 AM »
i wouldnt give a republican politician complaining about there being "too many deern lawyers round herrr" much attention.
Princeton Law 2010

ESDAD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 11:26:37 AM »
I disagree completely with the idea that UWisc has a better chance of placing in Chicago.  UMN is, after all, a top 20 law school.  UWisc is not.  This summer, UMN has students at Kirkland & Ellis, Jenner & Block, Mayer Brown, Latham & Watkins, Sidley Austin, Winston & Strawn, and a couple others.  The Chicago firms are increasingly taking a liking to UMN students.

Honest opinion?  I go to UMN, so I may be a bit biased.  I think it is a great school, with great opportunities.  If Dean Howland is the one who called you, or Julie Tigges called you, ask them if you can have a few hours to think about it and see if they have a student from the school who would be willing to speak with you frankly.