Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What happened to the customer is always right?  (Read 292 times)

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
What happened to the customer is always right?
« on: July 27, 2007, 09:21:42 PM »
What every happened to people like Marshall Field? I have a Visa through Suntrust bank. On my last statement I wrote a change of address with my payment. Well, when the second week of July rolled around and I had no bill, I called. They hadn't changed the address, so I told them to. Of course, they didn't send another bill. On July 27 I told them I don't have a bill. They said oh we'll send one, but it won't arrive in time to avoid a late fee. They offered to do a phone payment, but I didn't want to. Even though they admitted they never sent a statement to the correct address, they refused to waive the fee. What happened to the customer is always right? My favorite is now they lie saying they offered to fax me a bill (they didn't). They also don't have supervisors. They have a manager call back set up, but of course they never called back (their excuse? "I don't know why a manager hasn't called you yet"). This is really depressing how bad their "world-topping customer service" (they say something like that every time they answer the phone and before they say goodbye) is.  If I want a paper statement, why not extend the due date by a few days to get me one and keep me as a customer? Why lose a customer over a $35 fee?

The funny thing is, I never have problems with AmEx, who uses an Indian call center, doing me favors (in fact they go above and beyond), but the one time I call the American based customer support for my Suntrust Visa, they take me to the railroad?
Gas: UMD, W&M ($$), Wake Forest, Emory, GW, GMU
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
Brakes: Gtown.
(3.23 169)

almostlegal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to the customer is always right?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 10:41:46 PM »
I empathize.  Suntrust is evil.  File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.  (I believe their website is www.bbb.org.)

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
Re: What happened to the customer is always right?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 01:54:33 AM »
um... why not dispense with the hassle and pay your bills online like normal, reasonable people?

Because that's not the point. I like to deal in paper and I ought to be able to dammit.
Gas: UMD, W&M ($$), Wake Forest, Emory, GW, GMU
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
Brakes: Gtown.
(3.23 169)