Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: out of school for a significant amount of time?  (Read 2740 times)

hy4646

• View Profile
out of school for a significant amount of time?
« on: September 22, 2004, 02:35:56 AM »
When a law school says that they prefer LOR from  professors, but only if one has been out of school for a significant amount of time, they will accept one or even up to two from employers, how much time are they refering to?

I graudated in May '02, and have worked for like 2 years. Can this be a sort of significant amount of time? If not, but I still replace 1 of the 2 required LOR with one from an employer, what would they think?

I have one professor and one person from my work who can write a great recommendation for me. If having only 1 LOR from professor will be suspicious, I have to ask a professor who either does not remember me at all, or who remembers me but might say something negative.   

Please, help me.

foxnewssucks

Re: out of school for a significant amount of time?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 02:38:10 AM »
with only two years out I think you need to get at least one from a prof, it would help you.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 08:54:51 AM »
If you have one from a prof, and one from an employer, taht's fine.  Although you should look into whether you need a third (many schools require/suggest 3).

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 02:55:36 PM »
I've been out for 5 years.  1 from prof, 1 from employer, 1 from prof that never taught me, but led an EC in which I participated a great deal.

RockyMtnHighMama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 11:19:33 AM »
I think my situation qualified as a significant amount of time - 18 years. No profs. Complicate that with having not 'worked' in those 18 years... :o

Go get at least 1 professor to do a LOR. I believe you qualify as a 'recent graduate.'

Garbled

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 05:02:23 PM »

I graudated in May '02, and have worked for like 2 years. Can this be a sort of significant amount of time? If not, but I still replace 1 of the 2 required LOR with one from an employer, what would they think?

I am in a similar situation; I graduated in '03 and have worked for more than a year.  My question is a bit more specific--I have pretty stellar professional recs, and would like to at least be able to tap into those to some degree, but I am afraid of looking like a suck up to some schools.  So...better idea: 2 profs and 1 professional, or vice versa?

Any help would be wonderful! 

You're a pretty recent graduate, so i think that you should go with 2 profs and 1 professional. I've been out of school for 12 years but recently finished my MBA, and i'm going with 2 profs and 1 professional. Just make sure that the professional one will be awesome. In fact i'm writing the professional rec myself and having an employer sign it for me (he agreed to this).

Tinkerbell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 06:07:53 PM »

2 profs and 1 professional is the better way to go. 

I am in a similar situation; I graduated in '03 and have worked for more than a year.  My question is a bit more specific--I have pretty stellar professional recs, and would like to at least be able to tap into those to some degree, but I am afraid of looking like a suck up to some schools.  So...better idea: 2 profs and 1 professional, or vice versa?

Any help would be wonderful! 

_EKC_

• Sr. Citizen
  • LisBeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004, 06:16:07 PM »
I've been out since June 03 and I'm going with one professor, my supervisor for my internship (for credit) and an employer.

EKC

When a law school says that they prefer LOR from  professors, but only if one has been out of school for a significant amount of time, they will accept one or even up to two from employers, how much time are they refering to?

I have one professor and one person from my work who can write a great recommendation for me. If having only 1 LOR from professor will be suspicious, I have to ask a professor who either does not remember me at all, or who remembers me but might say something negative.   

Please, help me.