Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Request interviews with Admissions Departments  (Read 1068 times)

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Request interviews with Admissions Departments
« on: September 22, 2004, 02:34:19 AM »
So I thought I'd throw this one out there:

Request an interview, either in person or on the phone.

In light of how ridiculously competitive admissions have been the past three years, schools are seeing this as a big chance to pump up their stats and try to climb the rankings. (That they all say that they could care less about, yet always manage to bring up every March or so.  ;) )

Yet, the Ad Comms are still going to be concerned about the composition of their upcoming class. So I've begun a campaign of making a point to let the schools I like know me as well as they can. With the end of being a known and familiar quantity when the committees begin to convene to sort the wheat from the chaff.

I've been amazed how responsive the admissions staffs have been. I've requested 3 interviews so far, and have been granted them. In fact I'm flying down to California to meet with the Dean of Admissions at McGeorge next week.

I'm planning on flying to Pennsylvania, Michigan, San Francisco, So-Cal, and Vermont during October if I can and if they will allow me to.

Never underestimate the power of being a pest.

Is anyone else trying this route?
Is anyone else having any luck with interviewing?
Rest not. Life is sweeping by; go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time.

-Goethe

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Request interviews with Admissions Departments
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 10:04:49 AM »
I'm going to be forced to wait until the spring (march) to go and look at schools.  I'll definitely be interview (or try to interview) at schools I'm waitlisted at, but money and time restrictions aren't letting me get in early.  :(

ruskiegirl

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 04:57:56 PM »
Most schools will explicitly state in their applications that they do not grant interviews.  Those that do grant interviews usually say that such interviews have no bearing on your chances of admission. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 08:07:54 PM »
I definitely agree.  Just because they don't officially grant interviews, and may say so in their app, does NOT mean they won't meet with you if you're on campus.  And I think it can definitely make a difference.  Granted, a positive impression may not translate into an acceptance, but I would think that if you come off like an ass or incompetant, that negative note could mean life or death if you're on a waitlist or something.

And Stroopwafel, I'm planning on going to the Boston ls fair next weekend, so hopefully I'll have some good conversations there.  I was undecided about going, since I've already sent all my apps in, and don't plan on applying anywhere else, but I may as well introduce myself to the schools I've applied to.  You made too many good points for me not to hope on the T and go.  :)