Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Micheal Vick: Is it just me?  (Read 8156 times)

Pulchritudinous Male

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Micheal Vick: Is it just me?
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2007, 10:35:30 AM »
And it has been shown in numerous studies that abuse to animals leads to and is a pre-indicator of abuse and violence toward people.

And do you guys REALLY think OJ deserved to get off???

LOL!!! cjrosina I was just about to type about how I felt going to work the next day after the verdict. A lot of the white people at my job had that look like "you know his ass did it, and you better not smile or act happy that he got off". I promised myself that I wouldn't EVER discuss that issue with my co-workers because I was aware what the discussion could devolve into.

To be honest man, I think if he wasn't the one he may know who did it. Word to Bruno Magli, lol

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2007, 10:39:41 AM »
And it has been shown in numerous studies that abuse to animals leads to and is a pre-indicator of abuse and violence toward people.

LOL!!! cjrosina I was just about to type about how I felt going to work the next day after the verdict. A lot of the white people at my job had that look like "you know his ass did it, and you better not smile or act happy that he got off". I promised myself that I wouldn't EVER discuss that issue with my co-workers because I was aware what the discussion could evolve into.

To be honest man, I think if he wasn't the one he may know who did it. Word to Bruno Magli, lol

;D

But i think he did it...indirectly. Maybe he got his son im thinking

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2007, 10:41:51 AM »
Yep, OJ did it, but that is beside the point...

Whether he deserved to get off, now that deserves some discussion. I don't know if I have the energy right now. ::)
Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

Pulchritudinous Male

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2007, 10:52:27 AM »
Yep, OJ did it, but that is beside the point...

Whether he deserved to get off, now that deserves some discussion. I don't know if I have the energy right now. ::)

Lol, I hear you. BTW any idea of how Fido became the official word to describe a pet dog? I know I use it myself sometimes, especially for the emergency question for accounts you sign up for on the internet (Your Dog's Name: Fido)

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2007, 04:21:32 PM »
The reason people care isn't because the media is pushing it on them, it's because every once in a while, somebody in a position that others dream of being in, does something so horrible it shocks the collective conscience of the country.  Some things -such as the slaughter of cows- might bother some and not others, but it's generally accepted and legal.  I thin kwe can agree on that.  Dog fighting is not only illegal, but seen by most people as sick and unnacceptable.  Add to that the fact that dogs were hanged, electrified, and beat into the ground until dead.  There's such a disregard for life that it is shocking.  That's why this is different.

no.  soooo many people were like: and??  Then the media started showing images of pit bulls with jaws half torn off, started refering to Vick as dispicable, showing cute puppy dogs, reading the details of "torturing" animals bla bla...they spun it, plain and simple, like we are puppets or something.  Like I said earlier, I dont see the media posting images of dui crashes to make people shudder at lohan.  they just dont do it.  now sensationalist nancy grace did show similar crash scenes with hilton, but like I said she is a sensasionalist, ALL of the media has jumped on vick - who hasnt been convicted of anything!!

If you can turn Imus saying crap about black people into hip hop needs to shape up, then I don't see why we cant make a point about bias media coverage when an athlete gets caught in a scandal.  sure vick should have known better, but thats not an important point to me.  Thats just him and his stupid decision making, this coverage is reopresentative of at least a dozen things wrong with our country.

WHAT ABOUT THE KATRINA TRAILERS?

WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT??

WHY ARENT THEY PUT ON FRONT STREET?
The Tragicomic: Itís embodied in the blues, jazz, (HIP HOP, CORNELL <<one slight deserves another!!!!<< REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THAT ONE!!!) and the African experience in the New World -- the ability to withstand terrorism, embrace oneís worst enemies lovingly and bear the unbearable in song.

Pulchritudinous Male

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2007, 06:49:50 PM »
The reason people care isn't because the media is pushing it on them, it's because every once in a while, somebody in a position that others dream of being in, does something so horrible it shocks the collective conscience of the country.  Some things -such as the slaughter of cows- might bother some and not others, but it's generally accepted and legal.  I thin kwe can agree on that.  Dog fighting is not only illegal, but seen by most people as sick and unnacceptable.  Add to that the fact that dogs were hanged, electrified, and beat into the ground until dead.  There's such a disregard for life that it is shocking.  That's why this is different.

no.  soooo many people were like: and??  Then the media started showing images of pit bulls with jaws half torn off, started refering to Vick as dispicable, showing cute puppy dogs, reading the details of "torturing" animals bla bla...they spun it, plain and simple, like we are puppets or something.  Like I said earlier, I dont see the media posting images of dui crashes to make people shudder at lohan.  they just dont do it.  now sensationalist nancy grace did show similar crash scenes with hilton, but like I said she is a sensasionalist, ALL of the media has jumped on vick - who hasnt been convicted of anything!!

If you can turn Imus saying crap about black people into hip hop needs to shape up, then I don't see why we cant make a point about bias media coverage when an athlete gets caught in a scandal.  sure vick should have known better, but thats not an important point to me.  Thats just him and his stupid decision making, this coverage is reopresentative of at least a dozen things wrong with our country.

WHAT ABOUT THE KATRINA TRAILERS?

WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT??

WHY ARENT THEY PUT ON FRONT STREET?

Your point is taken, but the way I see it's not about what's fair and what's not fair. We could go on all day about what's fair and what's not. I'm all about the preventative maintenance. By the time it gets to this point guys like Vick doesn't even have a chance. Come on now we know how the media is about certain issues, so why give them something to work with?

Sorta like that manager/supervisor/boss that you know wants to fire your behind but they can't because they don't have anything on you. You know they are just waiting for you to come back from lunch 5 minutes late so they can document it and due process your behind right out of there. Why give your manager the ammunition to do so? Yeah, yeah you can go on and on about how it was really about your manager being jealous cause you are cuter than her, but at the end of the day you gave her the ammo to boot you.

I don't know maybe it's just me, but when I eff up and it was something that I knew better about, I look inwards as far as the blame. Virginia has some really messed up speeding laws, but when I got pulled over I wasn't trying to blame the Commonwealth and their screwy ass laws. I was kicking myself for not setting my cruise control knowing that if I got caught I would subject myself to those backward laws.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2007, 07:22:31 PM »
keep sitting in the corner.

maybe you would like to articulate your point rather than just try to sound pompous?

ok OSA was pompous (not a surprise) but i can see where she's coming from here.  i'm all for animal rights, but you cannot compare dogfighting as wrong and say that lohan driving drunk was not trying to hurt anyone.  apples and oranges...and drunk driving can cause way more harm than dogfighting.  just use a diff analogy
Columbia 3L

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2007, 07:27:24 PM »

maybe you would like to articulate your point rather than just try to sound pompous?

ok OSA was pompous (not a surprise) but i can see where she's coming from here.  i'm all for animal rights, but you cannot compare dogfighting as wrong and say that lohan driving drunk was not trying to hurt anyone.  apples and oranges...and drunk driving can cause way more harm than dogfighting.  just use a diff analogy

I'm not really trying to argue whether either one is right or wrong. I'm trying to say the media gets wrapped up in it because it's so out of the ordinary for most Americans. Most of the population has either driven after a couple drinks or thought about it. Most people have never witnessed dogfighting and don't understand why someone with so much money and perceived power would participate in such a cruel hobby.

by saying that most of the population has driven after drinking does not lessen the possible effects of said drinking and driving.

i just think that your analogy didn't work which is why OSA jumped on you

Lohan driving drunk isn't trying to harm/hurt/kill anyone.
Dogfighting and killing animals is malicious.

There's a HUGE difference.

i just don't get how you could compare the two...but whateva, not my fight
Columbia 3L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2007, 01:23:10 AM »

I'm not really trying to argue whether either one is right or wrong. I'm trying to say the media gets wrapped up in it because it's so out of the ordinary for most Americans. Most of the population has either driven after a couple drinks or thought about it. Most people have never witnessed dogfighting and don't understand why someone with so much money and perceived power would participate in such a cruel hobby. 

Which was part of my whole freaking point...people were like: and??? then the media says oh yeah well this is why its so bad.  If people don't care, why try to make them care when there is so much other crap going on in the world people actually care about (you know? NEWS?), without all the ballyhoo. in fact, care even when all they are being thrown up is a smokescreen and not all this in depth coverage - there is stuff people want to know more about!! instead the media goes around talking about dog fighting calling people heinous and what not and showing the most god awful clips and stirring up sh*t.  I dont even wish they would show scenes of dui's (I do, but not for coverage equity but more so Americans would not give drinking and driving a thought as you put it.).

I really wish they would be as relentess about stuff like the Katrina trailers.  Show a nose tumour. have people come on explaining what its like to have to breath in industrial poisons.  Pull out those internal e-mails, and shove a camera and mic in the responsible government officials' faces. I don't care about a pit bull - not when those same mf'ers would sit in there home and wish their favorite teams defensive end would put Vicks head thru the ground the next time he gets out the pocket.  really.  I honestly do not care.  they are dogs.   

And I dont think I'm comparing the two actually.  More like the medias coverage of the two if you want to be nit picky.   

@pulchritudiness, I get your point.  I'm not making excuses for vick.  do the crime do the time, but I know people are honestly not more interested in a dog fighting ring led by a quarterback that results in the death of one of the only animals we tolerate that routinely kills and maims humans, than a racqueteering ring led by vice president/president combination that kills thousands abroad, and now with Katrina, folk at home too.  Its just the way the media tells the story has people focusing in on the wrong sh*t.
The Tragicomic: Itís embodied in the blues, jazz, (HIP HOP, CORNELL <<one slight deserves another!!!!<< REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THAT ONE!!!) and the African experience in the New World -- the ability to withstand terrorism, embrace oneís worst enemies lovingly and bear the unbearable in song.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2007, 01:41:40 AM »
The reason people care isn't because the media is pushing it on them, it's because every once in a while, somebody in a position that others dream of being in, does something so horrible it shocks the collective conscience of the country.  Some things -such as the slaughter of cows- might bother some and not others, but it's generally accepted and legal.  I thin kwe can agree on that.  Dog fighting is not only illegal, but seen by most people as sick and unnacceptable.  Add to that the fact that dogs were hanged, electrified, and beat into the ground until dead.  There's such a disregard for life that it is shocking.  That's why this is different.

Arthur Blanks and Nike and every NFL fan should be happy then - Vicks in a violent sport.

OJ paid for it, why not?  its the way our system works isnt it?  haha..it works for a black man and here we are talking about it almost 15 years later.  whats that say?