Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Micheal Vick: Is it just me?  (Read 8244 times)

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Micheal Vick: Is it just me?
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 09:30:27 AM »
If he killed another black male, i bet this wouldnt get this much media attention

Dogs are really sweet though... :D

The federal government should be less concerned with Michael Vick and more concerned with cracking down on the meat industry, where their cruel and disgusting practices affect the majority of us on a daily basis, healthwise and morality-wise.

This whole Vick controversy is a little overdone. I guess he would have been better off slaughtering farm animals, as he probably wouldn't have been in this predicament.
I see your point, but still don't agree. First of all, one wrong doesn't justify another. We shouldn't start ignoring something 'because there's something worse going on somewhere else'.

Secondly, comparing it to farm animals is ridiculous. Yes, there's a lot of tasteless things going on there too that should be dealt with, but at the end of the day the farm business serves a greater purpose; to feed us. Let's not make thing s vegan campaign now. Vick's, and his fellows, are torturing and killing animals simply for some twisted pleasure out of doing so. It's not at all comparable to something that is actually food production.

Naw, dont ignore it. But pay just as much attention to the other things going on in this world which happen to be worse, just as much as you would this matter

Thank you Sparkz.

Some folks need to brush up on their reading comprehension skills. ::)
Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 09:34:33 AM »
Let's simplify this discussion to take out all of the elements that obscures the issue at hand. It's not about what is fair, but about what is legal or in this case illegal. Dogfighting save for 2 states is a felony plain and simple. He had to have known that, he got caught up (allegedly) and now he's at the mercy of the feds.

By involving race, celebrity and comparing tragedies we are missing the point and that is he should have been smart enough to remove himself or his association with felonious activities, end of freakin story.

Good point. Vick has not been found guilty of anything yet.

I think the bolded was the intended goal of all this media coverage.

Here we go again!
Yes:

Pulchritudinous Male

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 09:47:44 AM »
But does it deserve this much attention??? Thats my prob

Well that all depends on how a person looks at it. Animal activists sure do think so. You see now they have a national platform and a national incident for them to get their message across, which is the humane treatment of animals. I know they also speak out against meat processing plants, but the average American looks at that while eating a Big Mac like "whatever". Now when you talk about electrocuting and slamming Fido into the ground that will tend to raise some eyebrows. 

But does it deserve this much attention??? Thats my prob

I'm sure there were some people who echoed the same exact sentiment about the Don Imus incident. So again it depends. For the record I am not judging Vick on this matter. I know that I don't support dog-fighting. I just feel that he should of not associated (allegedly) with those activities. The young man is the second highest paid NFL athlete, and he is very much in the limelight. Nothing good could have come from this, and now we are witnessing the fallout.

Pulchritudinous Male

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 09:54:27 AM »
I see this issue as part of a larger one concerning sports in this culture.  We treat these people as Gods, as more than people who are payed insane amounts of money for performing seeming superhuman feats of athleticism.  The country - and the world (David Beckham anyone?) - sees these people as role models, whether or not that is what they are meant to be.

Just look at the NBA officiating scandal, the steroid abuse and its impact on Barry Bonds' home run chase, cheating at the Tour de France, and the new allegations of rape against the Villanova football team.  Sports is an out of control world.  It it time to shed light on these people for what they are - PEOPLE!  They are not superhuman.  They commit crimes like normal people and should be punnished like normal people.  I don;t think Michael Vick's coverage is a "race thing."  It's just a cultural thing - so much is going wrong in the world of sports that people should be aware of it.

Just because athletes can run, catch, throw, and dunk, it doesn't mean that they are good people.

Well you might as well throw entertainers in there as well (yes I know sports is entertainment as well). As a matter of fact "Hollywood" I'd dare say gets away with more things than the athletes do. A few DUI's will get you kicked out of the leagues...ask Lindsay Lohan what a few DUI's is going to do to her career...nothing much. 

Pulchritudinous Male

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 10:01:22 AM »
Let's simplify this discussion to take out all of the elements that obscures the issue at hand. It's not about what is fair, but about what is legal or in this case illegal. Dogfighting save for 2 states is a felony plain and simple. He had to have known that, he got caught up (allegedly) and now he's at the mercy of the feds.

By involving race, celebrity and comparing tragedies we are missing the point and that is he should have been smart enough to remove himself or his association with felonious activities, end of freakin story.

Good point. Vick has not been found guilty of anything yet.

I think the bolded was the intended goal of all this media coverage.

Very true, that's why these high profile young black men have to be aware and try as much as possible to distance themselves from activities such as this. Let's be honest there are more than a few people not too thrilled to see these predominantly black men making a King's ransom from running and jumping. They look at MTV Cribs ("And this is where the Magic goes down" *you know when they show their bedrooms*) and cringe.

Pulchritudinous Male

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 10:06:23 AM »
And if OJ isn't proof that sports players can "get away with murder..."

Lol, true. That was just some excellent lawyering from my deceased frat Johnny Cochrane.

As a White guy, I don't agree with that.  If they can make the money, then more power to them.  But they need to be aware that the scrutiny of the media is intense and that every mistake that ANY famous person makes is examined under a microscope.

Ok point taken.

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2007, 10:12:43 AM »

Lol, true. That was just some excellent lawyering from my deceased frat Johnny Cochrane.

As a White guy, I don't agree with that.  If they can make the money, then more power to them.  But they need to be aware that the scrutiny of the media is intense and that every mistake that ANY famous person makes is examined under a microscope.

Ok point taken.

Yep, Johnny was the man. But the jury demographic had a lot to do w/ it too. Thank God the trial was moved to downtown LA and not held in Santa Monica. That fool would've had serious problems.
Here we go again!
Yes:

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 10:14:24 AM »

Ok point taken.

Yep, Johnny was the man. But the jury demographic had a lot to do w/ it too. Thank God the trial was moved to downtown LA and not held in Santa Monica. That fool would've had serious problems.

I concur

ctoc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2007, 10:15:20 AM »
The reason people care isn't because the media is pushing it on them, it's because every once in a while, somebody in a position that others dream of being in, does something so horrible it shocks the collective conscience of the country.  Some things -such as the slaughter of cows- might bother some and not others, but it's generally accepted and legal.  I thin kwe can agree on that.  Dog fighting is not only illegal, but seen by most people as sick and unnacceptable.  Add to that the fact that dogs were hanged, electrified, and beat into the ground until dead.  There's such a disregard for life that it is shocking.  That's why this is different.

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2007, 10:34:55 AM »
The reason people care isn't because the media is pushing it on them, it's because every once in a while, somebody in a position that others dream of being in, does something so horrible it shocks the collective conscience of the country.  Some things -such as the slaughter of cows- might bother some and not others, but it's generally accepted and legal.  I thin kwe can agree on that.  Dog fighting is not only illegal, but seen by most people as sick and unnacceptable.  Add to that the fact that dogs were hanged, electrified, and beat into the ground until dead.  There's such a disregard for life that it is shocking.  That's why this is different.

The bolded happens to cattle,poultry and pigs, for example. Not trying to get into an animal rights debate, but I am not talking about the isolated act of slaughtering a cow. Read my previous post for clarity.

And no, this situation is not different, all animal abuse is wrong. The feds choose to crack down on the Fido and Fefe abusers only because they are not a part of our diet, among other reasons.
Here we go again!
Yes: