Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Don't these kids out of college make you want to scream?  (Read 8549 times)

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Don't these kids out of college make you want to scream?
« on: July 26, 2007, 03:12:05 PM »
I'm glad that my school has a good proportion of non-trads.  It seems that a lot of BigLaw firms seem to prefer students who went to law school immediately after undergrad.  I don't know if they consider them more "trainable" or more likely to fit into that type of culture for some reason.  What do you guys think about that? 

Also, did anyone see this article about Summer Associates making as much as $3K per week?  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/23/AR2007072301890.html?hpid=sec-education&sub=AR
Now, I don't mind that in theory, but it does bother me that this is the first real world experience a lot of these interns have, and I think they come out with a skewed sense of reality.  Can't stand the entitlement either.  Found that firm's motto "When Experience Matters" a touch ironic as well.
Fed gov't atty

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
Re: Don't these kids out of college make you want to scream?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 03:51:47 PM »
yes, they are considered more trainable. they're naive, easily intimidated and less likely to recognize bs. in addition they don't have anything to compare the job to so they don't recognize when they're being shafted. however not all law firms value these traits.
...man, you was who you was before you got here

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 03:56:26 PM »
Then again, maybe it's because we aren't likely to have as many family commitments, and have the ability to work 70+ hours per week, without much complaint.
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 03:57:10 PM »
Damn you Cal, don't take my thoughts!  :D ;)
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 04:00:47 PM »
yes, they are considered more trainable. they're naive, easily intimidated and less likely to recognize bs. in addition they don't have anything to compare the job to so they don't recognize when they're being shafted. however not all law firms value these traits.

also, no family = extra billable time

true altough there are plenty of non-trads w/o family obligations, didn't mean that post to sound as negative as it did. but yes generally employers consider those straight out of school more trainable but not all value trainablitly exclusively. for those that do, it's mostly for the reasons sited.

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 04:01:09 PM »
Ya, I know, but I ignored it...I'm young and "immature"...Doesn't it make you want to scream?

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 04:03:54 PM »
Also, could it be that since the average age at the law schools hovers around 25-26, that you are just overly mature.  Sorta like a 3rd grader hanging out with a bunch of pre-K students.  Why bash us because you don't fit in?  If you don't like playing with blocks, and learning ABC's, then go back to your cursive writing, and multiplication tables!  :P

sstar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 04:05:46 PM »
hahahah
T'50 Class of 2011

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 04:08:08 PM »
Also, could it be that since the average age at the law schools hovers around 25-26, that you are just overly mature.  Sorta like a 3rd grader hanging out with a bunch of pre-K students.  Why bash us because you don't fit in?  If you don't like playing with blocks, and learning ABC's, then go back to your cursive writing, and multiplication tables!  :P

:D, and clay don't forget clay

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 04:11:39 PM »
Oh yes, the Play-doh!  What about nap-time...damn naps, I was NEVER tired!  Remember those extra-big pencils they made us write with?  And the "Big-Chief" paper?  :D

That cursive writing on the LSAT took me like 20 minutes to write....I was SOOOOOOO nervous I wouldn't finish it in time!