Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Don't these kids out of college make you want to scream?  (Read 8490 times)

Slim

• Sr. Citizen
  • ummm hmmm.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Don't these kids out of college make you want to scream?
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2007, 12:24:11 PM »
I'm glad that my school has a good proportion of non-trads.  Sometimes, the kids straight out of college bug the heck out of me with their immaturity.  Anyone have a good story about one of these kids making you want to slap some sense into them?

Also, it seems that a lot of BigLaw firms seem to prefer students who went to law school immediately after undergrad.  I don't know if they consider them more "trainable" or more likely to fit into that type of culture for some reason.  What do you guys think about that? 

Also, did anyone see this article about Summer Associates making as much as $3K per week?  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/23/AR2007072301890.html?hpid=sec-education&sub=AR
Now, I don't mind that in theory, but it does bother me that this is the first real world experience a lot of these interns have, and I think they come out with a skewed sense of reality.  Can't stand the entitlement either.  Found that firm's motto "When Experience Matters" a touch ironic as well.
I say we keep the 23yr old women, duct tape thier mouths, and jail the 23yr old men. ;)  There's too many damned lawyers anyway.
Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day. - Thomas Jefferson.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2007, 01:21:08 PM »
I'm glad that my school has a good proportion of non-trads.  Sometimes, the kids straight out of college bug the heck out of me with their immaturity.  Anyone have a good story about one of these kids making you want to slap some sense into them?

Also, it seems that a lot of BigLaw firms seem to prefer students who went to law school immediately after undergrad.  I don't know if they consider them more "trainable" or more likely to fit into that type of culture for some reason.  What do you guys think about that? 

Also, did anyone see this article about Summer Associates making as much as $3K per week?  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/23/AR2007072301890.html?hpid=sec-education&sub=AR
Now, I don't mind that in theory, but it does bother me that this is the first real world experience a lot of these interns have, and I think they come out with a skewed sense of reality.  Can't stand the entitlement either.  Found that firm's motto "When Experience Matters" a touch ironic as well.
I say we keep the 23yr old women, duct tape thier mouths, and jail the 23yr old men. ;)  There's too many damned lawyers anyway.

You're not far off with the skewed sense of reality comment.  That is certainly not always the case though.  There are many (and most of them young) butt-nugget attorneys (and SA's) who think they are above reproach, but the majority are really cool people.  I've had the pleasure of working for law firms for many years, and hopefully my experience will keep me from becoming one of the nuggets. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2007, 01:37:05 PM »
I say we just weed out people who misspell the word "their"....what do you think Adahy?  :D
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2007, 01:42:30 PM »

Thank god I'm only 22...
Yale.Law.School.2010

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
I say we just weed out people who misspell the word "their"....what do you think Adahy?  :D

Please add your, and definitely definitely. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2007, 04:59:21 PM »

Please add your, and definitely definitely. 

YES! Blueb, write this down, please.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2007, 11:20:42 AM »
I hate "prolly" -- esp when people say it in really life. The word is "probably" and it doesn't take that long to say or spell!
Vanderbilt 2010

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2007, 11:24:52 AM »
I hate "esp" - especially when....well people really don't say it in real life.  It doesn't take that long to say or spell.

Also, I hate "really" when people mean to say "real".  Isn't that right, Julie?  ;D
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2007, 12:21:18 PM »
I hate "prolly" -- esp when people say it in really life. The word is "probably" and it doesn't take that long to say or spell!

Credited.  I hate that, too.
Yale.Law.School.2010

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2007, 12:24:47 PM »
I am going to kill self now.  :-[

LOL. Go figure-- I list my spelling pet peeves and then I don't even check myself!!!
Vanderbilt 2010