Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Don't these kids out of college make you want to scream?  (Read 8381 times)

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Don't these kids out of college make you want to scream?
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2007, 08:09:44 PM »
Ya, just shoot it over in a PDF.  ;D
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2007, 09:25:18 AM »
I mean, come on, you've had TWO mortgages.  I think you have just a LITTLE bit more relevant life experience here in the class on finance.  You should share it!  You're doing us a favor.

She has a bank account too!

Truth be told, the problem with most nontrads is they failed in their prior career. Cut the crap and admit you wouldn't be going to law school if you had done well in your last attempted profession. Law school is your last chance at a steady income, or so you think.

A nontrad is like the old vagabond free agent in football. Young students are like the #1 draft pick.

Actually I donít know a single non-trad at my school who is borrowing to be there. For most being a lawyer, even a big law lawyer, will be a pay cut. They are in law school precisely because they have been successful enough in what they did before that they can take 3-4 years out of their lives and go back to school without it hurting them finically. We have 2 MDís, 2 pilots, many business owners, former executives, Speaker of the State House, even a professional athlete in my class. 

I think your class is atypical. Most of my classmates were simply in careers where there was little growth potential- teaching, publishing, journalism, etc. It doesn't hurt us financially because there really weren't many places for us to go from where we were currently.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2007, 09:41:23 AM »
I mean, come on, you've had TWO mortgages.  I think you have just a LITTLE bit more relevant life experience here in the class on finance.  You should share it!  You're doing us a favor.

She has a bank account too!

Truth be told, the problem with most nontrads is they failed in their prior career. Cut the crap and admit you wouldn't be going to law school if you had done well in your last attempted profession. Law school is your last chance at a steady income, or so you think.

A nontrad is like the old vagabond free agent in football. Young students are like the #1 draft pick.

Actually I donít know a single non-trad at my school who is borrowing to be there. For most being a lawyer, even a big law lawyer, will be a pay cut. They are in law school precisely because they have been successful enough in what they did before that they can take 3-4 years out of their lives and go back to school without it hurting them finically. We have 2 MDís, 2 pilots, many business owners, former executives, Speaker of the State House, even a professional athlete in my class. 

I think your class is atypical. Most of my classmates were simply in careers where there was little growth potential- teaching, publishing, journalism, etc. It doesn't hurt us financially because there really weren't many places for us to go from where we were currently.

Are you fulltime or part-time? I'm PT, I think the non-trads in the PT program are very diffrent from the ones I have met in the FT program. FT tend to be carear changers, PT tend to be always wanted to do law school and now I can types. I'd say about 1/3 of the PT probably will not practice, or retire from thier other carears first then practice law.

I'm in FT, but I have a friend in a PT program who doesn't indicate that the people in her class were in high-paying careers beforehand. The people I know of in that program were in a similar situation- teachers, law enforcement, or in other low-paying jobs where the growth potential wasn't there. I think your situation is pretty atypical, even for part-time programs.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2007, 10:34:25 AM »
You can honestly say that you were the model of maturity straight out of college? If not, cut them some slack. Being young doesn't automatically mean that someone is immature- there are plenty of immature adults in this world.
I never said I was "the model of maturity straight out of college", which is partly why I decided to work first before entering law school.  That would be counter to the point I'm making that the law students straight out of undergrad tend to be more immature.
Fed gov't atty

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2007, 10:48:49 AM »
Very few non-trads in my program AREN'T borrowing to come here.  Our tuition is about $34K/year, estimated cost of attendance is over $50K/yr.  Most people just don't have $100K-150K laying around and be able to take 3 years off for school, even if they were pretty successful before law school.  We don't have a part-time program, so it's hard to make much during law school to offset that mortgage-sized amount of money.  Not to mention, if you happened to be able to make a living for yourself before coming to law school, you pretty much get jacked here for financial aid because the grant money mostly goes to those without a pre-law income (ergo, mostly to the ones straight out of college).  Plus, FinAid will not give you grant money in subsequent years if they didn't give you any in the first year, even though they know we no longer have a full-time income  ::)

Fed gov't atty

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2007, 11:07:26 AM »

Yea, I think, at least at my school, you can't get much fin aid if you are working or worked FT before school. I know several people whose employers are paying the 5,500k twords school  though. I think becuase we are the only PT program in the state, in the largest city in the state, is why we have so many sucessful people here, there is no place else for them to go. I don't think most of them could have/would have moved for law school. So unlike FT where for the most part everyone is bascilly simular (LSAT/GPA/pre-law experince) we have a very wide range of backgrounds, LSAT scores, and GPAs. The vast magority of my classmates are from here, worked (or working here) it was either go to law school here PT or don't go at all. I'm the only one of my close freinds in my class who even applied to other schools, I'm also the only one not from here before school. I assumed it was simular in most larger towns with a PT program, guess not.

Very few non-trads in my program AREN'T borrowing to come here.  Our tuition is about $34K/year, estimated cost of attendance is over $50K/yr.  Most people just don't have $100K-150K laying around and be able to take 3 years off for school, even if they were pretty successful before law school.  We don't have a part-time program, so it's hard to make much during law school to offset that mortgage-sized amount of money.  Not to mention, if you happened to be able to make a living for yourself before coming to law school, you pretty much get jacked here for financial aid because the grant money mostly goes to those without a pre-law income (ergo, mostly to the ones straight out of college).  Plus, FinAid will not give you grant money in subsequent years if they didn't give you any in the first year, even though they know we no longer have a full-time income  ::)

We have 2 reputable PT programs in my state. The problem is that in this part of Florida, the wages are abysmal. People just aren't making the salaries necessary to be able to pay for law school without borrowing. I think this area ranks last (or almost last) in wage to COL ratio because the wages just don't cut it anymore. Thus people who move here specifically for law school wouldn't be able to afford it on savings and their spouse's salary.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2007, 11:26:42 AM »
Okay- I get it now- your program is public. We don't have any reputable public programs in Florida so it's near impossible for people to save up the ~$80-100K required just to pay for tuition. A lot of people live here already but that alone is enough to make people have to borrow. Miami's tuition is a lot more expensive so it's probably the same there.

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2007, 01:32:12 PM »
Linquest, you say that you were immature coming out of college, and that is why you decided to work?

Does that mean that your employers were thinking "These damn college kids are annoying and immature?  Don't they drive you crazy?"

What better place in society for immature people than school/prison?
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2007, 02:51:20 PM »
Linquest, you say that you were immature coming out of college, and that is why you decided to work?

Does that mean that your employers were thinking "These damn college kids are annoying and immature? Don't they drive you crazy?" 

Actually, my employer was thinking, "I need to hire people straight out of college.  The others won't put up with my BS."  This was said to me about a year after I was working there.  His attitude was similar to what Jarhead described in Post 2.  Nonetheless, he was a great boss and mentor, and I don't think my law school experience would have been the same without the background that I gained while working. 

Personally, I think the best place for someone to gain maturity is to get into the working world.  Formal schooling can help, but not enough, especially if one uses education primarily to delay entering the "real world" after undergrad.
Fed gov't atty

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2007, 02:57:01 PM »
Most of the free agents were not kept by their original team, because they weren't an INTEGRAL part of the Championship Run.  The #1 Draft Pick is the foundation for the future (except top picks taken by the Browns, Bengals, Cardinals, and Texans).

You obviously don't know crap about football.  You named teams whose 1st round picks have actually done something.  You should have said Lions, and left it at that.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011