Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For People Who Are Buying a Mac for Law School  (Read 18818 times)

Pearl

• Sr. Citizen
  • I AM THE LAW
    • View Profile
Re: For People Who Are Buying a Mac for Law School
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2007, 09:33:24 PM »
I have a MBP and I loooooove it...

and I also love the new Mac version of EBB that Michigan just approved!

I do like having the bigger screen in class and in the library after class, or in coffee shops or wherever I am - I think it's worth it to have wherever I go (since I'm rarely at home) instead of using extra $$ on a big monitor for home - just a personal preference.

As far as the difference in weight, once you get a law school textbook in your backpack, you are not going to notice an extra couple of pounds from your laptop :P

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2007, 10:27:13 AM »
haha pearl - loving the avatar/username combo.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

wake6830

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2007, 03:31:08 PM »
Just fyi - the difference in weight between the macbook and 15" macbook pro is about 6 ounces. The MBP offers a bigger screen and better speakers, and other than that you will not notice a difference in the performance for anything you'd be doing related to law school.

If you're into audio/video editing, 3d rendering, or gaming, then the MBP would be a much better choice.

The plastic macbook scratches easily, the aluminum macbook pro dents easily. There are plenty of cases, guards and shells available for both, though.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2007, 07:59:05 PM »
Just fyi - the difference in weight between the macbook and 15" macbook pro is about 6 ounces. The MBP offers a bigger screen and better speakers, and other than that you will not notice a difference in the performance for anything you'd be doing related to law school.

If you're into audio/video editing, 3d rendering, or gaming, then the MBP would be a much better choice.

The plastic macbook scratches easily, the aluminum macbook pro dents easily. There are plenty of cases, guards and shells available for both, though.

No dents seen on my 9 months old MBP - plenty of scratches. I use a generic Targus notebook bag. In the end the MBP is tougher than my old X41......go figure.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

SWATJester

• http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacSimSWATJester
    • View Profile
    • May It Please The Court -- A guide for 1L's and aspiring law students.
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2007, 08:47:31 PM »
My MBP is great, except for the fact that it DOESN'T f-ing RUN EXAMSOFT.

I'll probably upgrade to the newer slimmer model when they announce it in a couple weeks. Supposedly it's only 0.7 inches thick.
Are you a 1L or aspiring law student? You need to read this!
http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
A guide for 1L's and law students-to-be written by a 1L at American University Washington College of Law.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2007, 08:54:36 PM »
I have been waiting for Apple to release newer laptops for the last several months.  Are you just speculating (like the rest of us) that they will release a newer laptop version or have you read something? 

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2007, 09:16:03 PM »

I'll probably upgrade to the newer slimmer model when they announce it in a couple weeks. Supposedly it's only 0.7 inches thick.

It will if you install bootcamp. Plus, by the end of next semester, native OS-X support is coming.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

SWATJester

• http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacSimSWATJester
    • View Profile
    • May It Please The Court -- A guide for 1L's and aspiring law students.
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2007, 11:49:44 PM »
I have been waiting for Apple to release newer laptops for the last several months.  Are you just speculating (like the rest of us) that they will release a newer laptop version or have you read something? 
http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/10/ultra-thin-and-ultra-light-mac-notebook-in-2007/
http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/13/metallic-macbooks-spotted-on-apple-campus/

It will if you install bootcamp. Plus, by the end of next semester, native OS-X support is coming.

Oingo

Yeah, 200 dollars of vista later, and a 79 dollar leopard upgrade. :(

Plus exam soft crashed in my contracts exam. I lost 3 paragraphs.
Are you a 1L or aspiring law student? You need to read this!
http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
A guide for 1L's and law students-to-be written by a 1L at American University Washington College of Law.

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2007, 01:48:52 PM »
Ill help add to this as I am an Mac user now and will never go back to the evil that is PC. I used to be a diehard PC guy but now I have seen the light. The best thing I love about my Macbook is that I can surf the net take notes and the battery will never run out, well least for 4-5 hours it wont. And my gf uses my macbook for photoshop since she is an art major and doesnt have one of her own yet. So you can run a lot on the macbook and it is only a little slow loading the program but it runs just fine after that. And as someone metioned already that word for office on the mac has a cool notebook feature. I love that thing to death cause outlining is the easiest thing in the world on it. So yea all of the smart people on LSD should just all be mac users cause it is the smartest way to go. Oh and I have accidently dropped my macbook from my living room table and it holds up just fine.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2007, 01:52:54 PM »
How has Word 2007 been working for Macs?  I use a PC at work and I hate the new Word program.  Has anyone had any problems running it on their mac?  Also, for law school: are they going to run their test programs off of Vista or will it still be compatible with the older windows?  I don't know how well it would all run on a Mac.  Someone on here seemed to mention having some problems.