Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For People Who Are Buying a Mac for Law School  (Read 18523 times)

almostlegal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
For People Who Are Buying a Mac for Law School
« on: July 26, 2007, 02:32:40 PM »
If you purchase the Student and Teacher edition of Microsoft Office for Mac (I'm not sure about the other editions), they give you three product keys so that you can install it onto three computers.  My husband has a mac, and he had purchased Microsoft Office two years ago, but I had totally forgotten about the three product keys thing.  (If I had known, I wouldn't have bought a second copy, I would have found his copy and installed it on my computer--it had been two years, though, so I really did not remember.)

h2xblive

Re: For People Who Are Buying a Mac for Law School
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 03:38:06 PM »
Noted

tenaciousb

• AOL Instant Messenger - CollegiateError
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 11:52:02 PM »
If you purchase the Student and Teacher edition of Microsoft Office for Mac (I'm not sure about the other editions), they give you three product keys so that you can install it onto three computers.  My husband has a mac, and he had purchased Microsoft Office two years ago, but I had totally forgotten about the three product keys thing.  (If I had known, I wouldn't have bought a second copy, I would have found his copy and installed it on my computer--it had been two years, though, so I really did not remember.)

not that i would ever do such a thing but you can download office pretty damn easy off share programs
Loyola New Orleans Class of '10

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 08:27:15 AM »

You should probably wait to see what sort of licenses your school has. I know my school has a volume license and it's a lot cheaper than buying it retail. My UG actually gave you office for free.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 09:21:34 AM »

You should probably wait to see what sort of licenses your school has. I know my school has a volume license and it's a lot cheaper than buying it retail. My UG actually gave you office for free.

QC, this is kind of random, but I think I remember you saying in another thread that your macbook handrest was cracking at some point this year .... well I'm having the same issue ... did mac fix that for free?
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 09:25:33 AM »

QC, this is kind of random, but I think I remember you saying in another thread that your macbook handrest was cracking at some point this year .... well I'm having the same issue ... did mac fix that for free?

Yes. If you send it out for repairs it should take around a week. I haven't been using it this summer, but I need to figure out how to make sure it doesn't happen again. Maybe using some sort of fabric when I close it will help? Any ideas?

euphory

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 01:18:21 PM »
I have a question regarding installing Windows on Macs. (I plan to get a iBook) If I have my Windows XP service pack 2, can I install it myself?
If I can't use my Windows XP service pack 2, do the people in Apple store install it for you (for a fee?) Or do I have to go to Best Buy and do it there?

I'm computer illiterate in general and confused.

thank you!

euphory

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 01:39:03 PM »
I have a question regarding installing Windows on Macs. (I plan to get a iBook) If I have my Windows XP service pack 2, can I install it myself?
If I can't use my Windows XP service pack 2, do the people in Apple store install it for you (for a fee?) Or do I have to go to Best Buy and do it there?

I'm computer illiterate in general and confused.

thank you!

You can download Boot Camp for free, then use your copy of XP SP2.  All the details and instructions are here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

thank you!
So do people in Apple Stores offer this service? I just realized my version is the Home edition, which is not recommended by my school.

SWATJester

• http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacSimSWATJester
    • View Profile
    • May It Please The Court -- A guide for 1L's and aspiring law students.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 02:14:23 PM »
The best thing about Office for Mac is the "Word Notebook" feature.

It's perfect for outlining in class.....
Are you a 1L or aspiring law student? You need to read this!
http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
A guide for 1L's and law students-to-be written by a 1L at American University Washington College of Law.

JM26

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 03:49:49 PM »

Is the bootcamp offered on apple take the place of the parallel program?