Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would this work as a PS topic?  (Read 685 times)

zephyrmaster

• View Profile
Would this work as a PS topic?
« on: July 25, 2007, 05:53:28 PM »
I was thinking about writing for my love of basketball (I spent probably about an average of 7-10 hours a week playing basketball during the school year). I don't play on a team though. I was thinking of tying it into my summer work of the last two summers (working at a Youth Center) and losing around 50 pounds during the end of my first year of college into the summer.

Would this be viable, or should I go for something different? Some other ideas I've had:

- What I learned from my dad going to prison for 5 years when I was around 10, and how the experience was, but that seems really negative and it still bothers me.
- What I learned from working with youth
- Essay about being tall, the advantages and disadvantages of such a "predicament" ;-)

Amy Winehouse

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rehab is for quitters.
    • View Profile
Re: Would this work as a PS topic?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 05:56:16 PM »
1) Yes
2) maybe--but yes, kind of negative.  Could be a positive if it influenced you to be a prosecutor or public defender, though.
3) Yes
4) No  :)
Columbia Law School 2010

zephyrmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 11:42:56 PM »
Thanks, I'll get cracking on it. If anyone else has any suggestions or comments they would also be much appreciated!

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 11:56:04 PM »
Dad and working with youth is great. Its quite easy to combine the two topics also.

zephyrmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 12:26:21 AM »
Dad and working with youth is great. Its quite easy to combine the two topics also.

So do you think the basketball idea is not the best one?

I'm worried about the dad topic because I don't want to accidently come off as whiny about it. I know many people have had it much worse, and both my parents never even knew their real fathers.

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 10:53:06 AM »

So do you think the basketball idea is not the best one?

I'm worried about the dad topic because I don't want to accidently come off as whiny about it. I know many people have had it much worse, and both my parents never even knew their real fathers.

you can make basketball your main theme, talk about perseverance, hard work, working in groups, etc. It's a good way to show Ad coms who you really are.  However, it's not a great biographical extension.  I maybe biased cause I'm writing a PS from a biographical point of view, but I think it makes the essay a better read and if you do it right, your personal qualities will show.

Also, do not worry about being whiny, just make sure you show that you have overcome the misfortune.  I know it's hard to know your readers, I was being anxious about writing my story and coming off as whiny, but I knew that the story would show important factors that contributed into making me, and try to turn it into a positive thing.  I'm sure you can do the same.

Just concentrate on the essay being personal and interesting.

babyeatsdingo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 11:50:55 AM »
If you first determine your end(s) you'll then be better able to choose optimal means. What is your purpose/are your purposes in writing? Are you trying to tell the reader who you really are? What makes you unique? Why you want to go to law school? Why you think you'll be a good student? What area of law you wish to investigate further? How your character has been tested? Are you merely trying to show how well you think and write?

Once I decided I would show a history of intellectual curiosity and determination, the actual writing came easy.