Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any law school Mommies?  (Read 2534 times)

Too Old For Law

• View Profile
Re: Any law school Mommies?
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 08:02:10 AM »
I guess I don't understand how a mother going into law school would find the term "law school Mommie" in any way a negative thing.  In my mind I'm a mother first, my status as a student comes second.  My children will always be my first priority.  Period.  I don't see highlighting that as a negative thing. 

I would use "parent," especially in a pubic forum.  Less sexist, less childish.  My kid calls me "mommie," and I'd rather not have anybody else use the term to define me.  Like I said, different strokes.

I had to chuckle when I saw this - I'm 42 yo.  Being called childish is a big compliment in my life.

Have a good day everyone.

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 11:06:13 AM »
*singing*

Different strokes, it takes
Different strokes, it takes
Different strokes to move the world
Yes it does it takes
Different strokes to move the Woooorrrllld! Hmmmm.... ;D
Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 11:19:28 AM »
my children don't call me mommie. My little ones call me mama, and my big ones usually call me b*tch.

Ok, not really :) but mommie is never heard here.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 08:10:50 AM »

I had to chuckle when I saw this - I'm 42 yo.  Being called childish is a big compliment in my life.

Have a good day everyone.
[/quote]

I'm 29 so I didn't find it as cute....but then again "Mommie" is what my CHILDREN do call me so if a term used by my children is "childish" I guess it is by definition.  My children are 1 and 3 1/2 so they're still quite "childish."

I don't feel the need to show my intellectual superiority by denying my other role as a mother of small children; I personally love to be underestimated because it puts ME at an advantage.  Also, I don't think it was sexist to start a post that was directed especially at mothers.  I think as women we face a unique set of challenges entering into law school as parents.  To deny the difference between women and men, mothers and fathers is in my mind ludicrous and an attempt at political correctness gone awry. 

Law school is going to be a blast, I can already tell.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

simonsays

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 08:53:55 AM »

court-appointed guardian is more endearing.

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2007, 11:38:07 AM »
I think as women we face a unique set of challenges entering into law school as parents. 

This is so true. Most of the things I tear my hair out with worry over, a man, a father, wouldn't think twice about unless someone brought it up to him. I know the worries I bring up don't seem to phase my husband.

Ahh well, the patriarchy you know. Men are raised privileged from the get go.

That's not to say that I don't think fathers are careless or anything. Simply that mothers generally worry about very different things than fathers tend to do.

I do worry about discrimination in law school. However, I know I'm a better, stronger, more disciplined person than I was at 21 fresh out of undergrad. I also wouldn't have known to study for the lsat way back then (thank you internet!). Mostly, after extensive experience on internet forums, I know to simply refuse to engage with many of the types of people I've seen at LSD  :P. There's simply no point, no commonality between us (yet). Someday they'll grow up too. It happens to the best of us.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2007, 12:03:25 PM »
I don't worry about discrimination because of being a woman but I do believe that there is a bias in general against women who have children.  Some of it is justified so it doesn't bother me.  I think it is generally expected that we will put our families first while other childless students are able to devote themselves 100% to law school.  Although there are many men who would have these same priorities, it isn't automatically assumed about a man as often as it is for a woman who is a mother.  Also, we're often seen as "softer" which isn't a compliment in the scope of the legal profession. 

Still, I'm ready for the challenge.  I think I've done well juggling my time thus far so I see no reason why I can't succeed in law school as well.  It's just very important to me that I still be there for my children in ways that are going to be more difficult.  For example, it is important to me that I be able to spend at least some time in my daughter's Kindergarten classroom once she begins school, particularly for special events like field-trips. I know it will be very difficult to find the time to do that but I'm confident I can manage somehow.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 12:19:51 PM »
Discrimination for being older and a mother is my concern too. Not the woman part.

littlelisalaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 03:12:26 PM »
Okay, I am an entering 1L this year.  However, my last semester of undergrad (this winter/spring) I had to write a 60 page thesis for a required senior capstone, plus take an additional 4 classes.  This was an overload of credits.  The research for the thesis was insane (I wrote my thesis on Domestic Violence and Family Violence Option for TANF Welfare Recipients).  Anyway, I am a mother of a very active eight year old.  It was doable, just.  I had to manage my time REALLY well.  Make a schedule for yourself and keep to it.

At many points you are going to be pushed to set your priorities.  Sometimes you will feel torn in two.  You are going to have to decide what comes first:  child or top 10% of the class.  This is sad but true.  That semester was the toughest I have ever had.  But I am glad that I went through it because I feel that I am prepared for what is to come.

My advice is to set aside at least one day where you have mommie/kiddo time.  This is a non-study don't even look at the books day, wholy devoted to family.  Mine was from 5:00 pm on Friday evenings until 8:00 pm on Saturday nights.  I did not even think about school on this day.  We had family fun friday nights and spent real time together on Saturdays. 

You might find that you are more healthily balanced than other students which will equal a whole lot less stress.

Good luck.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 08:30:30 AM »
Okay, I am an entering 1L this year.  However, my last semester of undergrad (this winter/spring) I had to write a 60 page thesis for a required senior capstone, plus take an additional 4 classes.  This was an overload of credits.  The research for the thesis was insane (I wrote my thesis on Domestic Violence and Family Violence Option for TANF Welfare Recipients).  Anyway, I am a mother of a very active eight year old.  It was doable, just.  I had to manage my time REALLY well.  Make a schedule for yourself and keep to it.

At many points you are going to be pushed to set your priorities.  Sometimes you will feel torn in two.  You are going to have to decide what comes first:  child or top 10% of the class.  This is sad but true.  That semester was the toughest I have ever had.  But I am glad that I went through it because I feel that I am prepared for what is to come.

My advice is to set aside at least one day where you have mommie/kiddo time.  This is a non-study don't even look at the books day, wholy devoted to family.  Mine was from 5:00 pm on Friday evenings until 8:00 pm on Saturday nights.  I did not even think about school on this day.  We had family fun friday nights and spent real time together on Saturdays. 

You might find that you are more healthily balanced than other students which will equal a whole lot less stress.

Good luck.

Really great advice;  it all rings true.  Thanks!