Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any law school Mommies?  (Read 2530 times)

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
Any law school Mommies?
« on: July 25, 2007, 10:59:14 AM »
I have two small children, 1 and 3 1/2.  I've been in school since I had my first and I'm finishing up my MBA right now so I'm somewhat used to the juggling act.  HOWEVER...I understand that the first year of law school is something totally different.  Anyone else in this boat?  I'm already feeling guilty about the time this will take away from my family but I can't help but believe it will pay off in the future.  I'm also worried about competing in law school with all of the 22 year old who have all the time in the world to study.  Any thoughts?
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Any law school Mommies?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 11:25:19 AM »
I have two small children, 1 and 3 1/2.  I've been in school since I had my first and I'm finishing up my MBA right now so I'm somewhat used to the juggling act.  HOWEVER...I understand that the first year of law school is something totally different.  Anyone else in this boat?  I'm already feeling guilty about the time this will take away from my family but I can't help but believe it will pay off in the future.  I'm also worried about competing in law school with all of the 22 year old who have all the time in the world to study.  Any thoughts?

I was planning on attending law school this fall, but decided to withdraw and reapply to better schools.  I would have been ready to go now since all of my children would have been in school at the same time as me...my only worry was that I would not be as involved with homework and wouldn't have time for their other activities.

I think you can do it if you have a strong support system to help you with the kids. They are so small though, I cannot imagine starting law school with babies that small...I don't know how old you are, but it wouldn't hurt to just wait a little while before starting law school. Enjoy this time with your babies, they are at critical ages.

I got through undergrad with three small babies, but that was with semesters off, online and evening classes when my husband could be home with them, etc. It wasn't until they all started school that I attended college full time. I'm also working on a Master's, which is not as time consuming anyway.

I do have a friend with 2 kids ages 4 and 5 at the time, who made it through 3 years of law school with her husband in IRAQ during her 1L year. Her first year was the toughest. Her children stayed with her MIL an hour away from her home while she attended school. So she was able to study and all, but she felt enormously guilty for them not living with her that first year.  I personally wouldn't see myself doing what she did, but hey, different strokes.  Regardless, I am proud of her, she is a strong woman.

So yes, it can be done I guess. Depends on where your priorities are.

Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

Too Old For Law

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 12:47:30 PM »
I'm a mommie of two - 15 yo and 7 1/2  yo.  I did my MBA when my oldest was between 1 1/2 and 5 yo.  I did it while working full time too.  Maybe the years have clouded my memory, but I don't remember it being that bad.  My husband was great through it.

I think this is the perfect time for me to go to law school.  I'll be finishing as my oldest will be finishing high school and my youngest will not have reached the horrible teen years.  I still have another 20+ years of working possible so I want to be doing something that I want to do, rather than have to do and because my kids are pretty self sufficient, I can devote the time I need. 

I have to admit, though, that the only way I think I can do this is to do it full time.  I've thought about going part time and working but I think that would make it nearly impossible to spend anytime with the family.  I should be able to make it close to a 9-5 job, which are better hours than I have now.   :)

Honestly, I'm just taking everything one step at a time and we'll see what happens.  I am glad to see there are other mommies out there trying to figure out how to make this happen.  Good luck to all of you.

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 01:17:32 PM »
I'm a mommie of two - 15 yo and 7 1/2  yo.  I did my MBA when my oldest was between 1 1/2 and 5 yo.  I did it while working full time too.  Maybe the years have clouded my memory, but I don't remember it being that bad.  My husband was great through it.

I think this is the perfect time for me to go to law school.  I'll be finishing as my oldest will be finishing high school and my youngest will not have reached the horrible teen years.  I still have another 20+ years of working possible so I want to be doing something that I want to do, rather than have to do and because my kids are pretty self sufficient, I can devote the time I need. 

I have to admit, though, that the only way I think I can do this is to do it full time.  I've thought about going part time and working but I think that would make it nearly impossible to spend anytime with the family.  I should be able to make it close to a 9-5 job, which are better hours than I have now.   :)

Honestly, I'm just taking everything one step at a time and we'll see what happens.  I am glad to see there are other mommies out there trying to figure out how to make this happen.  Good luck to all of you.

I worked full time and went to college with babies too, but yeah, I think it depends on the individual. I'm thinking working full time and working on an MBA is not that bad at all compared to full time law school, which is a different animal...

I also wanted to say when deciding to do both....just be prepared for one of the two to suffer on some level at any given time, whether its grades or family, but such is life. Things happen.

My friend had to drop a class or two while in law school and her grades also suffered at times.  But heck, she was fortunate enough to get a great job. She did worry about some of her low grades being a hindrance, but she is such a people person, she got her job through a friend of a friend. 

Which brings another point to consider. Networking is a big part of the law school experience, too, so doing that in addition to classes, externships and extracurriculars leaves a lot on one's plate. Like I said before, a good support system is key.

I'm kind of relieved I didn't take the plunge this year, but I'll be in the thick of it soon enough I guess.
Here we go again!
Yes:

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 02:35:07 PM »

I worked full time and went to college with babies too, but yeah, I think it depends on the individual. I'm thinking working full time and working on an MBA is not that bad at all compared to full time law school, which is a different animal...

I also wanted to say when deciding to do both....just be prepared for one of the two to suffer on some level at any given time, whether its grades or family, but such is life. Things happen.

My friend had to drop a class or two while in law school and her grades also suffered at times.  But heck, she was fortunate enough to get a great job. She did worry about some of her low grades being a hindrance, but she is such a people person, she got her job through a friend of a friend. 

Which brings another point to consider. Networking is a big part of the law school experience, too, so doing that in addition to classes, externships and extracurriculars leaves a lot on one's plate. Like I said before, a good support system is key.

I'm kind of relieved I didn't take the plunge this year, but I'll be in the thick of it soon enough I guess.

Thank you for all of the great advice. It was very helpful.  I should have mentioned that I haven't even applied yet...I will be applying this fall to (hopefully) start in 2008 so my baby will be 2 1/2 and my oldest will be starting Kindergarten that year.  The thing that really upsets me is that I won't be able to volunteer in her class as much as I'd like. The good thing is UF's law school program has a very light schedule on Mondays and Fridays so I hope to take advantage of that a little bit if I get accepted to UF.

I'm certainly worried about the juggling act but I do have a lot of family support.  My mother lives 2 miles down from me and we're very close so she will be picking my daughter up from school and keeping my son on Mondays and Fridays so he will only have to go to daycare on W,T,F. 

Like I said, I went back to college to finish up my BA when I had my first daughter (she was 4 months old when I went back) and I entered the MBA program 3 months after my son was born.  I think I'm pretty good at juggling family and school, but my worry is that law school is going to be SO MUCH MORE.  It's really a hard decision for me.  I'm just afraid if I put off law school I will never go.  And of course I'm afraid of losing my academic sharpness....
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 02:51:08 PM »
Yeah, I hear you about being afraid you'll never go...I was going to apply in 05, but decided to wait, and then I applied this year and got into some schools, but wasn't feeling 100% about my options.

I even got a scholarship offer that was very tempting, and I was so determined to start this fall. So deciding to wait out another year and try again was a hard decision. I am SO IMPATIENT, lol.  :D

You're also fortunate to have your mom nearby. My mom is 3,000 miles away, but my MIL lives near us and I don't know what we would do without her help with the kids.
Here we go again!
Yes:

Para Legal

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Pipers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 07:50:11 PM »
Hi there!

I'm mom to a beautiful and sassy 4 1/2 year old daughter...I'm fortunate to have a supportive husband and we're all going to law school in the fall- my DD is old enough to go potty, get dressed and ask for what she needs...can't imagine what I'd do if I had to deal with breastfeeding and diapers...

I'm also at a good age- just turned 30 and will be 33 when I graduate. Dot will be finishing 1st grade and I'll still have 35 years of working to do.

My hope is to have my student loans paid off before I retire!!

Good luck with your choices...above everything else- I'd make sure to pick a school where your family will be happy and the faculty will be supportive. I made a lot of compromises/sacrifices in terms of picking a school, and my husband approved of each of the schools I applied to- we couldn't have done it any other way. Yes, it was my school, but he had to move there and the impact on his life is just as big as it is on mine. We went into the decision knowing that we would be going to one of those schools, and we both had to be OK with it, no matter where it was...it also helped because I knew then that I could make the best school choice and know he would be fine with it.

Best of luck!!

Cheers,

Para  :D
Hamline University School of Law
1L

Anne Shirley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 12:44:39 AM »
Hi dotlyn,

I can't speak with any degree of experience, but I can say that I'll be a 1L this year with two four year olds. My husband is very supportive, but we've also brought my mother along to live in with us and watch the kids.  I can't even begin to express how much of a load this takes off my mind.

I won't deny that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the prospect of balancing law school with motherhood, but I have no doubt that I can do it and do it well.  During my school visits, I met a mom with a six month old who basically treated law school like a job.  She went to school at 7am and didn't return home until she'd finished all her work, usually about 7:30 in the evening. 

At any rate, if you're feeling like now is the time, then now is probably the time.
SLS 2010

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 08:10:16 PM »
I'm a law school daddy!
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 08:52:51 PM »
I guess I don't understand how a mother going into law school would find the term "law school Mommie" in any way a negative thing.  In my mind I'm a mother first, my status as a student comes second.  My children will always be my first priority.  Period.  I don't see highlighting that as a negative thing.  Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying, though.

Any thoughts?

First thought: I would never refer to myself as a "law school Mommie."  Different strokes and all.

Second: you can compete with the 22-year-olds.  Treat it like a job.  I just finished 1L at Texas and I did well.  Not top 5%, but well enough.

Third:
At any rate, if you're feeling like now is the time, then now is probably the time.
I agree with this.