Right now I just set up my word doc like so:
--------
Name
LSAC Account #
SSN

Personal Statement

The text of the personal statement.
--------

I guess that works. I'm just wondering if there's some specific format that we should use.

surget

• View Profile
Re: Format?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 10:16:27 AM »
Id be interested in this as well. As well as two other things along the same lines

1) Do you title your PS?

2) A friend of mine who is a technical writer suggested this format-- See below --(versus double spaced with indentions) she said its more professional - thoughts?

Personal Statement Format Example

The big black dog jumped over the yellow rock. The big black dog jumped over the yellow rock. The big black dog jumped over the yellow rock. The big black dog jumped over the yellow rock. The big black dog jumped over the yellow rock. The big black dog jumped over the yellow rock. The big black dog jumped over the yellow rock. The big black dog jumped over the yellow rock. The big black dog jumped over the yellow rock.

The purple people eater likes eggplant. The purple people eater likes eggplant.The purple people eater likes eggplant.The purple people eater likes eggplant.The purple people eater likes eggplant.The purple people eater likes eggplant.The purple people eater likes eggplant.The purple people eater likes eggplant.The purple people eater likes eggplant.The purple people eater likes eggplant.

I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like green eggs and ham.I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like green eggs and ham.I do not like green eggs and ham.I do not like green eggs and ham.I do not like green eggs and ham.I do not like green eggs and ham.I do not like green eggs and ham.I do not like green eggs and ham.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 03:20:28 PM »
Some schools specifically ask for double space, while others would prefer it even if they don't state so.

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 03:24:56 PM »
Each school has their own criteria for how to format your PS- font size, spacing, length, etc. Once you have an idea of where you are applying, make a list of your schools and research this.

Use a serif font like Times New Roman or Helvetica. These are easier to read than san serif fonts like Avant Garde.

Most schools want no more than 2 pages. Some are a little more generous, but also require you to double space.

I formatted my PS's with a header/footer option.

Header looked like this:
Julie McCoy                                                                         Personal Statement
LSAC# L123456/SSN 111-22-3333
/Header

Skip a few spaces

Paragraph 1
[Skip a space]
Paragraph 2
[Skip a space]

Etc.

Footer
Page 1 of __
/Footer

Good luck to those of you applying this fall!

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 03:27:49 PM »
No titles necessary?

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 03:33:47 PM »
No titles necessary?

Aside from "Personal Statement" or "Diversity Statement", no.

If you're writing on a specific topic provided by the school (like a supplemental essay for Michigan or a "Why Penn?" Essay for Penn), then indicate that on your essay as well.  I wrote out the question in italics under my header, then wrote the essay below it just to be extra clear as to which essay I was writing on.

Don't worry though, formatting is not something they'll be evaluating you on.  Just make sure you provide any and all information they may ask for on your PS (usually just name and LSAC# or Social Security#).

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 09:05:18 AM »
I agree.  No titles. Typically your PS should be 2 pages double spaced, unless the school says otherwise. Put your name/lsac#/etc. in a header. 

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 09:29:27 AM »
I agree.  No titles. Typically your PS should be 2 pages double spaced, unless the school says otherwise. Put your name/lsac#/etc. in a header. 

2 pages is so short. I have 3 pages now (about 1100 words now after cuts). Is this too long? The essays in Anna Ivey's book were ~ that long.

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 09:49:20 AM »

2 pages is so short. I have 3 pages now (about 1100 words now after cuts). Is this too long? The essays in Anna Ivey's book were ~ that long.

My PS was about 2 and a third pages long, double spaced.  My pre-law advisor originally advised me to write a PS that was 2 pages long, but she allowed me to go over that limit by just a little.  I believe my original draft was 3 pages or more, and it took some time to edit it down, but in the end I think it made for a stronger essay.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 12:17:55 PM »

Some schools have limits... George Mason's was 500 words.