Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L books.. Get them now or wait till classes start????  (Read 1798 times)

Prizark

• View Profile
    • Email
1L books.. Get them now or wait till classes start????
« on: July 24, 2007, 04:32:33 PM »
I looked up on the school's website what books each professor requires. However, I don't know if I should get them now or wait till classes start. In undergrad I ALWAYS waited until classes started because many professors that stated to buy certain books never used them. I was just wondering if it MIGHT be the same in law school. Or if the professor ordered those books he will def. use them???????

So, get the books now or wait till classes start? Thanks everyone!

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1L books.. Get them now or wait till classes start????
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 05:43:14 PM »
I looked up on the school's website what books each professor requires. However, I don't know if I should get them now or wait till classes start. In undergrad I ALWAYS waited until classes started because many professors that stated to buy certain books never used them. I was just wondering if it MIGHT be the same in law school. Or if the professor ordered those books he will def. use them???????

So, get the books now or wait till classes start? Thanks everyone!

Check online to see what the price difference is between your bookstore and online. Sometimes the difference between a new book on Amazon and a new book at the bookstore can be as much as $30. I tried to order online but realized that the delivery time for some of the less popular books can be as much as 3 weeks so it's not like you can buy the books at your bookstore and return them by the end of the week.

Your bookstore should say whether the books are "required" or "recommended"- get the required ones and skip the recommended ones.

Prizark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 06:14:28 PM »
The required books -- are they really required? Will the profs actually use them?

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 06:33:37 PM »
The required books -- are they really required? Will the profs actually use them?

I hear required is the new optional

ilsox7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 06:35:53 PM »

My guess is when you receive your first reading assignment the week before class from the required books, you'll get your answer.

Prizark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 07:01:55 PM »
I already got a reading assignment but its only from ONE book. Therefore, I don't know if I should hold off on buying the other 9 books

ilsox7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 07:07:15 PM »
I already got a reading assignment but its only from ONE book. Therefore, I don't know if I should hold off on buying the other 9 books

During 1L, we used all books assigned.  2L was a different story.  I'd imagine you'll need all of the required books, unless you want to rely on reserved library copies.

Prizark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 07:54:26 PM »

During 1L, we used all books assigned.  2L was a different story.  I'd imagine you'll need all of the required books, unless you want to rely on reserved library copies.

Thanks for the concise response. It helps a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheJudge

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 07:59:56 PM »
MAke sure to get a Rollie bag too.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 08:04:09 PM »
MAke sure to get a Rollie bag too.

and when you go down stairs, make sure not to pick it up and carry it, but let it bump down the stairs with you