Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Recipe Thread  (Read 4023 times)

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: The Recipe Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2007, 02:10:45 PM »
that sounds ridiculously delicious.

titcr. i am so craving it right now...

Make some for tomorrow!  It's good even without the praline topping (just sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon on top, with some chunks of butter).

In other cooking news, I'm making bbq sauce for the first time.  See blsd thread if you wanna help!
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2007, 02:31:16 PM »
ummm what ???

ETA: nvm. lol
Look to the left -- Look to the right

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2007, 02:42:51 PM »
For #1.  It's really easy to make ahead for brunch the next day.  I make it with ww or cinnamon raisin bread and it puffs up when it bakes and gets all yummy and delicious.

Baked French Toast Casserole with Maple Syrup Recipe 

1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
8 large eggs
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Dash salt
Praline Topping, recipe follows
Maple syrup

Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Praline Topping:
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Makes enough for Baked French Toast Casserole.

YEEEEESSSSS.  This was soooooo good!

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2007, 02:43:49 PM »

Make some for tomorrow!  It's good even without the praline topping (just sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon on top, with some chunks of butter).

In other cooking news, I'm making bbq sauce for the first time.  See blsd thread if you wanna help!

I just started Alli today and the casserole's not worth shitting all over myself. :-X

l.m.a.o.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2007, 02:53:39 PM »

I just started Alli today and the casserole's not worth shitting all over myself. :-X

It's a Paula Deen recipe, so it's guaranteed to be terrible for you. 
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2007, 12:05:58 PM »
Here's the variation of baked French toast that I like to make.  It's stuffed with a yummy cream cheese filling, but doesn't use the half-and-half in the Paula Dean version, so it might be even a little lighter (especially if you make it with neufchatel, which I do -- it tastes exactly the same here).

http://www.leitesculinaria.com/recipes/cookbook/deep_dish_fr_toast.html

And for something a little healthier, this is my favorite vegetarian recipe:

Ginger Sesame Portobello Steaks

2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbs. minced fresh ginger
1 tbs. tahini
1/2 c. tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 c. toasted sesame oil
1 tbs. light brown sugar
3 tbs. white wine
4 large portobello caps
1 tbs. peanut oil

1. In small bowl, combine garlic, ginger and tahini. Stir in tamari, sesame oil, sugar and wine until well blended.
2. Put mushroom caps in shallow bowl. Add tamari mixture, turning to coat mushrooms and let stand 15 to 30 minutes, turning once.
3. In large skillet, heat peanut oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms (reserve marinade) and cook, turning once, until browned and slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
4. Cut each mushroom on a slight angle into 1/4-inch-thick slices. In small saucepan, heat reserved marinade.
5. To serve, spoon hot mashed potatoes (or whatever -- I really like serving this with broccoli and/or couscous) on serving plates. Fan out mushroom slices over potatoes and lightly drizzle with marinade.

Sooo good.
UPenn '10

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2007, 10:46:34 PM »
As much as I tell ya'll about the stuff that I cook, I'm surprised that no one has turned me on to this thread.

Generally speaking, any meat seasoned with montreal steak seasoning by mccormick is good--especially pork chops and chicken.

Tony Cachere's creole seasoning is a must. I scramble it in my eggs in the morning.

Anyone made homemade cinnamon rolls before?

For now, for all of those sausage eaters, here's something you might want to try:

Sausage and Rice Casserole:

2 cups of cooked rice
1 pound of ground sausage
2 small cans of cream of chicken with herbs soup
seasoning of your choosing, to taste

First, cook your rice in a large pot.  As you are cooking your rice, brown your sausage in a pan. Once the rice is done, add the cream of chicken according to directions on can.  Stir rice and cream of chicken together well. Drain sausage on paper towels.  Add sausage to large pot. Season to taste.  Stir well, and keep on medium low heat for an additional 10-15 minutes for seasoning to settle in.

That's it! We normally eat this with green beans or a green salad, and biscuits.  This also makes a really good breakfast the following day. 

Does anyone have a folding griddle?  My husband and I bought one with a giftcard from our wedding.  It is fabulous.  Its not a perfect design, but it is very versatile.  It's by Rival, and it has 2 sides you can set at 2 different temperatures.  The only thing I wouldn't recommend cooking on there is scrambled eggs.  The surface is just too slippery for all of that.  But we make hamburgers, bacon, brown sausage, make quesadillas, and great pancakes on this things.  And the nonstick plates pop right off and are dishwasher safe.

Hands down, one of the best cooking appliances ever invented. I nromally use it at least once a day.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2007, 10:55:08 PM »
tag
2L

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2007, 05:09:14 PM »
Here's a recipe that, while holding little flavor, holds a lot of nostalgia for me:

----------------------------------------------

Ugali:

Ingredients:

4  cups finely ground cornmeal (If you can find the kind that is so finely ground as to be like flour, grab it!!) 
8  cups water 

Recipe:

Heat water to boiling in a saucepan. Slowly pour the corn flour into boiling water. Avoid forming lumps.

Stir continuously and mash any lumps that do form. Add more corn flour until it is thicker than mashed potatoes.

Cook for three or four minutes, continue to stir. (Continuing to stir as the ugali thickens is the secret to success, i.e., lump-free ugali.)

Top with a pat of butter or margarine, if desired.

Cover and keep warm.

Serve immediately with any meat or vegetable stew, or any dish with a sauce or gravy.
Yale.Law.School.2010

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2007, 07:32:16 PM »
Denny, have you lived in East Africa?
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?