Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Historically Black or just law school...what should I do?.....what did YOU do?  (Read 2020 times)

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile

Finally, make sure you don't take schools' low minority enrollment as a sign that they don't want minorities. You may find that they will give you more merit scholarship money as a way to get you there, regardless of your income.

no, you SHOULD take that as a sign that they don't want Minorities there. Considering that law schools and firms favorite word to toss out in brochures is "Diversity" and whatnot, Law Schools are clammering for qualified minorities. If a school has a low acceptance rate of minorities then that is because they WANT to have a low enrollment of minorities. Hell, I know 3 people from my graduating class who are going to Harvard and we all know how selective they are.

Pay close attention to the admissions of black folx and of those that are admitted, HOW MANY ACTUALLY STAY ALL 3 YEARS AND GRADUATE.

It don't mean anything if you get into the school, but then flunk out and have no support network.
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile

Finally, make sure you don't take schools' low minority enrollment as a sign that they don't want minorities. You may find that they will give you more merit scholarship money as a way to get you there, regardless of your income.

no, you SHOULD take that as a sign that they don't want Minorities there. Considering that law schools and firms favorite word to toss out in brochures is "Diversity" and whatnot, Law Schools are clammering for qualified minorities. If a school has a low acceptance rate of minorities then that is because they WANT to have a low enrollment of minorities. Hell, I know 3 people from my graduating class who are going to Harvard and we all know how selective they are.

Pay close attention to the admissions of black folx and of those that are admitted, HOW MANY ACTUALLY STAY ALL 3 YEARS AND GRADUATE.

It don't mean anything if you get into the school, but then flunk out and have no support network.

Do you have stats on percentage of minority admits versus enrollment, and minority attrition? I was talking about enrollment, meaning how many are enrolled, not how many leave that's the attrition rate (or retention rate.) That would be good to know as well, but a school that has 20% black folks is not necessarily more hospitable to black people than a school that's 10% black.

20% black? What law school do you know outside of Howard, TSU(barely), FAMU(barely, give'em 10 more years and that might be all they have), or NCCU?

My school was ranked the #7 amongst Non-HBCU's as far as being diverse and we had our whole 1L Class was 25% diverse.
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

chydiva82

• Did God take permission from U when he created ME?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks for the responses.

What's wrong with planning ahead? I don't want it to be 2009 and I'm about to be a senior and I'm just now looking into law schools and the LSAT. That does fly with me. I have a cousin who wants to go to law school and he will be a senior this year and he hasn't even took a practice LSAT.

When I was a junior in high school my parents and I went around touring colleges...they all thought it was funny when I stayed in the dorms at just 16. But ny senior year in high school I didn't have to worry about a thing, I had already taken the ACT and SAT and applied and toured the schools I wanted so I ONLY applied to the ones I liked.

I had friends in April who were still unsure of what college they were going to...I was already designed my room theme.
I've invested too much in my future to quit now, there is NO way I'm dropping out saying "it's too hard" life is hard and expensive...I need this and I WANT it

Nothing is wrong with planning ahead....

However,  IMO your primary focus at this point (having completed your freshman year in college) *should* prolly be getting and maintaining a high gpa. That was my only point and I believe what TruOne was getting at. You will of course have a secondary or third focus. .....my UG GPA was not horrible (3.5) but I know I could have done better...I'm sure I/we dont have to tell you that LSAT/GPA are a significant factors in the LS admissions process...

chydiva82

• Did God take permission from U when he created ME?
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm new here. I found this sight just by luck and it's a Godsend. I will be a sophomore in college this fall majoring in political science and psychology and my ultimate educational goal is going to law school and becoming a lawyer. I've always known the law was my passion and I know that it is the career I want. I went back and forth with law and psychology so I combined them and I hope to also be a psychologist, that way if the firm I'm working for needs help with jury selection or evaluating witnesses they have an in home person to do that as well.

When it came to my undergrad education I chose a private university. I had numerous people, including some family members and friends ask why I didn't want to go to an all black school. For high school, my parents put me in a private college prep high school which was about 90% white....in my graduating class there were just 4 of us. Honestly, it didn't bother me one bit, I never felt out of place or inferior. I know who I am and I don't "act" like one race over another.

Now the university I'm currently at is small but very diverse but still whites make up the most.

Now for law school, I have in mind a good 5 schools that I wouldn't mind going to. I'm comparing them all and they all offer me so much. I've gotten feedback from others who have been helping me but the end decision will be my own. But an aunt was completly shocked that I didn't list TSU - Thurgood Marshall School of Law as one of my choices since I live in Texas. No offense to TSU students, alumni, and so forth but I would never go there. The current things going on right now only reinforce that. I have on my list almost every other law school in this state....but them I have people trying to shy me away from those schools saying "oh they don't want you there...look they barely have good minority number"

I want to go to law school here because I'll be practicing here plus I'd rather pay the instate tuition and we have top rated schools

I just never thought of going to a historically black university or law school. I don't know why. Part of me thinks that I won't get a good job because employers will think I didn't learn or that it was too easy and I wasn't challenged. And another part of me asks myself why I would go....the world is not one race so why should my school environment be.

As far as money, I am in no way rich. But let others tell it: I went to a private high school, I got a car at 16, and now I go to a private university......they say we're rich. And the fact that my parents pay for my school full with NO finanical aid whatsoever. A non-practicing lawyer gave me the CLEO website and told me to look into it....well that's a no because it clearly says low income.

They won't even give us anything, I've always resented that and I'm sure the same will be for law school. I want so badly to have it paid for on my own. I did so many scholarships for college and nothing surfaced.........I did all kinds....what got me were the "black" ones that also included parents income ::)I'm sure that was the killer of the whole thing. I'll bet they didn't even read what I had to say.

Both of my parents work so hard and I just really want to let them be free and do things for themselves. Most of the time through the week I see them in moderation but their always working to pay for my college right now and I can only imagine what law school will be like.

They keep saying that we'll do loans for law school but I really don't like loans...I don't want us to be paying back for the next 30 years.

I have an overall GPA of 3.5 and last fall my first half in college I made a 4.0 so I make the grade yet I never get a scholarship or anything like that. I'm still prayerful and I do believe it will happen.

Should I just forget my list and go to a black law school or the cheaper price or stick with what I want and just pray that the money will sort out itself.

What did you do? Anyone NOT go to a historically black law school? Anyone not get financial aid...how is that working?

The bolded is good work...now maintain that for the 3 years you have left or shoot for higher, rock the LSAT, and then you can start looking at scholarships being offered from schools, thus avoiding choosing a school wholly based on it being *cheap* or affordable.

that's all I'm saying.....