Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ultimate Guide to Your Legal Career - Charles Cannon  (Read 748 times)

Dukeblue12345

• View Profile
    • Email
Ultimate Guide to Your Legal Career - Charles Cannon
« on: July 24, 2007, 01:06:17 AM »
Has anyone read The Ultimate Guide to Your Legal Career by Charles Cannon?  I was told it is the most insightful book around about the way law school and the practice of law really is today (like a modern One L only with more practical advice and focusing on more than just the first year) and achieving your legal career objectives and that it is written by a leading lawyer who went to a top law school (Columbia) worked at the top firms (Cleary) and held a senior position at the Securities and Exchange Commission.   ???

UCLAJD

• View Profile
Re: Ultimate Guide to Your Legal Career - Charles Cannon
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 07:05:25 PM »
Read it and most of the other law school prep books.  Most of the advice books are about the same.  Advice on how to get in, study for exams, make law review, write a resume, etc.  Most of the books didn't tell me anything I didn't already know (am a 3L at UCLA) and didn't change what I would have done anyway.  This book was a little different - it did make me think a differently about how to choose my first job after law school and whether doing a legal clerkship was consistent with my overall career strategy/plan.  Its a pretty inexpensive paperback but I already read it and you can have my copy if you like (going for the paperless office look).  Let me know.