Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chicago-Kent 3L Taking Q's  (Read 2117 times)

middlelanguage

• View Profile
Chicago-Kent 3L Taking Q's
« on: July 23, 2007, 03:16:24 PM »
Preliminary Facts:

Top 5%
No Law Review
Moot Court
1L Summer: Judicial Externship
2L Summer: BIGLAW

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chicago-Kent 3L Taking Q's
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 05:12:12 PM »
I've got a bunch, seeing as how I'm from Florida and don't know too many Chicago people, especially any with legal knowledge...

-What's the atmosphere like? Ultra-competitve or Collegial? Clique-ish? Do people just go to class and then go home and study, or do people actually hang out outside of school? I ask this because I worry that a school in a city wouldn't foster too much "collegiality", if that's a word.
-How are the facilities? Nice neighborhood? What are some popular living arrangements for students, and how much do those typically cost?
-Do you struggle with the school not having as much "name-recognition," or is it generally well-known to those who matter?
-If I have no interest in IP and no science background, would I be naieve in choosing a law school that's associated with a tech school.

A lot of questions, so thanks in advance to whatever you can answer
Tulane c/o 2011

middlelanguage

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 05:55:17 PM »
1. Atmosphere. For the most part, everyone is very friendly and collegial. Like any law school, there are a few gunners, though none of them is particularly malicious. There certainly are "cliques," but not to the extent there are at other law schools. Parties always had open invitations to everyone and no one cared who came. Many, if not most, people hung around at the library to study. Like any other school, it depends on the students' preferences.

2. Popular living arrangements for students. Presidential towers is popular because it is one block from the law school, but I highly discourage you from renting there. Most students rent an apartment--anywhere in Chicago typically works. The school is building student housing, I think, but I'm not sure when that will be completed. Typically, rent can range from $500-1300+ a month depending where you live and if you have roommates. 

3. The facilities. These are great. The building is relatively new (less than 10 years old I think). The classrooms are all wired and wireless, as is the rest of  the building. The School is in the "West Loop." The area is two blocks from the Sears Tower. It's not the "Loop," but its close enough. It's a city.

4. Name Recognition. Not a problem in Chicago. Unless you go to UC or NU, you will have stiff competition. If you want to practice outside of Chicago, I am less knowledgeable. I do know people working in Boston, Minneapolis, CA, and NY, however. The name recognition problem is the same at Kent as at any other similarly ranked school.

5. IP. No, you wouldn't be naive. While the school has a very good IP program (I am in it), it also has top rate programs in other areas, such as Environmental law, Employment law, Public interest law, etc. The professors are typically very good.

Also, its worth noting that the school has a great externship program. Essentially, this program allows you to work in real world situations, including working for state, local, and federal judges.

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 07:18:45 PM »
Thanks, I'm learning a bunch. Just a couple clarifications....
You mentioned that there is stiff competition for Chicago jobs, but what kind of class rank do you need at Kent in order to land a pretty good job? As in biglaw, or OCI cutoffs for middle Chicago firms, etc.
Also, what do you think are the major differences, if any, between the three T2 schools in the city (Kent, LUC, Depaul)? Is choosing one a no-brainer type of decision over another, or would it all depend on how you feel at each school?
Thanks again!
Tulane c/o 2011

middlelanguage

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 08:32:11 PM »
Competition. To be involved at OCI at Kent, you have to be at least in the top 1/3 of the class, but you need to be in the top 15% (maybe 20%) to land more than a few interviews (i.e., BIGLAW) That being said,  cut-offs for Loyola and Depaul are either equal or worse. I was in the top 15% at the time of OCI and I had around 12 interviews, which is pretty good. If you rank higher, I'm guessing you'd probably get more. I think firms are starting to loosen their requirements. There are also, much to my surprise, a significant number of OCI interviews for 3Ls. While I will not be participating, I noticed that the requirements for interviews were looser, if not less stringent altogether.

Differences in Schools. The reputational differences between Loyola and Kent is negligible.   Both schools are better regarded than Depaul, so I'd keep that in mind. Also, Kent has a great IP program, which many other schools, including U of C and NU, don't. Also bear in mind that Depaul just recently moved into the second tier. I cannot speak for the experiences of students at other schools, but I'd choose Kent over Loyola and Depaul again.

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 12:07:02 AM »
If your looking for a Loyola students view, IlSox usually has pretty good insight.

Papagena

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 12:21:46 PM »
Hi middlelanguage:

You said that you got 12 interviews through OCI and that you were in top 15% of class and specializing in IP.  Do you think you got more interviews than others in top 15% because of the IP specialization (e.g. did that increase your desirability to firms), or was that not a factor?

Again, I had always heard that BIGLAW cutoffs for OCI at Kent were about 5%, whereas you mention 15-20%.  Is this specifically for IP, or are firms starting to recruit deeper into Kent class because of perceived increase in quality of students?

Just curious!

murph0110

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 03:35:38 AM »
middle, do you know anything the the part time program?  What are the professors like?

middlelanguage

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 10:25:04 AM »
The Professors for the PT program are typically professors for the FT as well. The faculty typically rotates each semester. Sometimes one Prof. will teach a day and night class, other times they will teach one day class one semester and one night class the next semester.

If you are wondering about the quality of the profs., it would follow from my discussion above that the quality is the same. The students, however, are different. Many students from the PT program transfer into the FT program, though.

Anything else?

middlelanguage

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 02:38:56 PM »
Hi middlelanguage:

You said that you got 12 interviews through OCI and that you were in top 15% of class and specializing in IP.  Do you think you got more interviews than others in top 15% because of the IP specialization (e.g. did that increase your desirability to firms), or was that not a factor?

Again, I had always heard that BIGLAW cutoffs for OCI at Kent were about 5%, whereas you mention 15-20%.  Is this specifically for IP, or are firms starting to recruit deeper into Kent class because of perceived increase in quality of students?

Just curious!

My IP specialization has absolutely nothing to do with my interviews. I do not have a technical background. Cut-offs for K&E and Sidley are around 5%, but I didn't get interviews with those firms. Most firms don't have such stringent cut-offs. Some even reach into the top 30%. Also, even if you don't meet the % criteria, you can still apply to interview if you are within 10% of the firm's cut-off. So, to answer your question, my IP background (of which I had NONE at the time of the interviews) did not factor into my interview schedule. In fact, it DISCOURAGED some firms that had a small IP practice. Hope that helps.