Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GWU vs. W&L  (Read 1868 times)

AppleSidra

• View Profile
    • Email
GWU vs. W&L
« on: July 23, 2007, 02:58:17 PM »
Hi,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about GWU vs. W&L. W&L is offering me a great scholarship offer, and GWU is offering me basically nothing but loans. I've heard that employment prospects are better at GWU, and their IP program is nationally ranked to be one of the best. A few posts about the negative environment at W&L towards minorities is also making me leery despite the great financial incentive. It's just so much more expensive to be at GWU that my real question is: is it worth it?

Any opinions/advice? Thanks in advance.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: GWU vs. W&L
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 03:04:36 PM »
A) what is your degree?

B) are you interested in IP?

c) which town/ city did you like better

4) where do you want to practice?
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 03:23:07 PM »
I had to make the same decision and chose W&L.  I could not be happier, especially when my coworkers, several of whom are GW alums, are complaining about their loans. 

The IP program makes for very interesting academics, I'm sure, but it is a red herring when it comes to job opportunities.  The biggest factor in the IP job market is whether you have a hard science background.  If you do, you will be just as marketable from W&L as from GW, even in spite of GW's program.

Although I am not a minority, I found W&L to be extremely open and inviting. 

My opinion is that W&L and GW are very similar schools with regards to job opportunities in general.  The huge financial disparity only makes the decision that much easier.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 03:27:32 PM »

The IP program makes for very interesting academics, I'm sure, but it is a red herring when it comes to job opportunities.  The biggest factor in the IP job market is whether you have a hard science background.  If you do, you will be just as marketable from W&L as from GW, even in spite of GW's program.

this was basically going to be my point ... if you have a science background you are going to have an easier time finding work (in IP) than other people with the same grades but no science/ IP.  If you like Lex-vegas I would take the money.  Also, I like smaller schools much better than large ones.
2L, Boston College Law

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 03:37:22 PM »

How larges is the W&L scholarship?

If it's a full ride, I'd definitely take W&L -- the schools are fairly comparable, although G&W has a stronger presence in D.C.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 03:44:06 PM »
I think your decision should really rest on where you want to be working after graduation.  I think that GWU would have better placement in the northeast and W&L might have better placement in the southeast. 

As for the minorities issue, I assure you that we are all very comfortable at W&L.  If you speak to any minority student except one I can guarantee you that they will tell you about their positive experiences at W&L.  I think most people automatically assume that the campus is uninviting towards minorities because it's in the south but that's a really silly assumption.  it also appears that a lot of those rumors are started by students that never attended nor even visited W&L so i'm not sure how they came up with it.  You will only experience racial slurs and discrimination from other minorities such as myself... because we can get away with it... and it's funny... and i get really bored otherwise...

as for the loans issue, if you're planning to do public interest, government work, or you're unwilling to do biglaw, coming to W&L and taking the scholarship offer might be a good idea.  you should also take into account that the cost of living in lexington is MUCH MUCH cheaper than in DC. 

I don't know anything about IP so you might wanna talk to Lenny about that.  I'm also gonna reserve my comments on job prospects until after my job search this upcoming semester.   :D
testing testing 1 2 3

AppleSidra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 08:50:03 PM »
It's not a full ride, but tuition wise, very nearly there. I've almost signed a lease for housing at D.C. and I have to admit it was a bit of a shock to learn how expensive it was. I just called W&L and they still have reasonable rates and no waiting lists for on-campus housing which is pretty reassuring.

I have a B.S. in Computer Science, and I'm interested in doing Patent Law.

I haven't visited Lexington, and I've only done a tourist-type visit of D.C. Well I enjoyed D.C., I've spent most of my undergraduate career at small-town type colleges like W&L, and I can't help but feel that I would be more comfortable there.

My only problem is that I would like to work somewhere in CA or NY, and I feel that I might have problems getting a job in those markets if I went to W&L as opposed to GWU. I've heard that W&L has a lot of regional appeal, but not a great deal of national pull when it comes to big firms. Is that true?

Thanks.

misschar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 10:29:58 PM »
I agree with pd112aux- it may seem a little overwhelming now to move to the city now, but will it be any easier to move to the city after school? If you choose W&L recognize that you're choosing your comfort zone and possibly lowering your chances of making it to NY or CA.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 11:49:28 PM »
It's not a full ride, but tuition wise, very nearly there. I've almost signed a lease for housing at D.C. and I have to admit it was a bit of a shock to learn how expensive it was. I just called W&L and they still have reasonable rates and no waiting lists for on-campus housing which is pretty reassuring.

I have a B.S. in Computer Science, and I'm interested in doing Patent Law.

I haven't visited Lexington, and I've only done a tourist-type visit of D.C. Well I enjoyed D.C., I've spent most of my undergraduate career at small-town type colleges like W&L, and I can't help but feel that I would be more comfortable there.

My only problem is that I would like to work somewhere in CA or NY, and I feel that I might have problems getting a job in those markets if I went to W&L as opposed to GWU. I've heard that W&L has a lot of regional appeal, but not a great deal of national pull when it comes to big firms. Is that true?

Thanks.

GW will place better in NYC and CA.  On the other hand, low debt is nice.  If you do well at W&L, you'll be fine everywhere. 

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 12:35:17 AM »
You're leaning towards W&L because you're comfortable in small towns, yet you want to work in CA or NY?  I think it's about time you got used to the latter.  Go to GW, milk its IP program and clinic for all they're worth, then pay off your $200k loans in four years.

I remember when I had such a simplistic view of the future...
2L, Boston College Law