Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Totally Tanked Logic Games...  (Read 929 times)

J_

• Sr. Citizen
  • YOU! Yeah!!!! That guy!
    • View Profile
Totally Tanked Logic Games...
« on: July 23, 2007, 02:30:54 PM »
Hey folks.  I'm enrolled in a TM course in preparation for the September LSAT.   I took my first diag and totally tanked the Logic Games.   Though I realize I should still definitely work to improve my score on LR and RC (85% correct, 75% correct respectively), I'm really worried about Logic Games (35%).   After three lessons that included LG material, I don't feel like I'm doing any better on the homework or when I did timed LG sessions in a workshop.   I seem to have a tough time making those extra "Big deductions" at the beginning of a game, and creating hypothesis scenarios when it's not there.

I feel like I've totally psyched myself out.   Is this one of those things where if I keep working at it it will eventually "click," or should my concern this early in the course be justified?    I'm debating purchasing the LGB even though TM would tell me I don't need to, just so that I can read up more on techniques and strategies.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Edit: I should note that my instructor told me my strengths in LR and RC put me in an enviable position, as LG tends to be the easiest to improve upon, but it doesn't feel very enviable right now  :-\
LLS '11

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Totally Tanked Logic Games...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 02:34:54 PM »

Purchasing the bible isn't a bad idea, and I'll note that Games are the most learnable area of the exam.

Keep in mind that you don't need to solve all 4 games to get a decent score -- the three easiest games will do if that's all you can eventually hit.  Keep working on the understanding, and it will start to click.

(Obviously work untimed on them a good amount.)

Eveman in Ingmarland

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 02:49:28 PM »
You might want to start be getting rid of the "logic games are my archnemesis" thing at the bottom of your posts. Games are by far the easiest section of the test to improve on, as long as you practice efficiently and maintain self-confidence.

J_

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 02:56:07 PM »
Fixed!   :)

Thanks guys, you were two of the people I was really hoping to hear from based on other constructive messages I've seen you post over the past several weeks.   I suppose I need to really figure out the correct efficient way to practice.  I usually go about trying to make all the initial deductions I can up front and then verifying that those are correct in the back of the book.   Perhaps that's just practicing a bad habit, which is why I'm not great at hypotheticals.
LLS '11

premieraw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 03:09:52 PM »
Hey folks.  I'm enrolled in a TM course in preparation for the September LSAT.   I took my first diag and totally tanked the Logic Games.   Though I realize I should still definitely work to improve my score on LR and RC (85% correct, 75% correct respectively), I'm really worried about Logic Games (35%).   After three lessons that included LG material, I don't feel like I'm doing any better on the homework or when I did timed LG sessions in a workshop.   I seem to have a tough time making those extra "Big deductions" at the beginning of a game, and creating hypothesis scenarios when it's not there.

I feel like I've totally psyched myself out.   Is this one of those things where if I keep working at it it will eventually "click," or should my concern this early in the course be justified?    I'm debating purchasing the LGB even though TM would tell me I don't need to, just so that I can read up more on techniques and strategies.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Edit: I should note that my instructor told me my strengths in LR and RC put me in an enviable position, as LG tends to be the easiest to improve upon, but it doesn't feel very enviable right now  :-\

Take it from me,(someone who's gone from -20+ on games to -5) and probably a good amount of others on this board who would never admitt it: Starting off horribly on games is not uncommon at all and you will greatly improve, if you work at it. Sit down with 10-11 games and work through them all in one sitting regardless of how long it takes. If your have a lot trouble with a particular game, do it two or three times over to really nail down the logic involved. Hard work + patience = game master, trust me.

As for the LGB question, i wouldn't buy it at this point. I'm also in a TM class and the explanations they give for each game in the hwk (which by the way theres a ton) are as good or better. Good luck, keep working.
1L...wait, really?

Judgie Poo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nulli Secundus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 04:14:07 PM »
Games are the most learnable, but you should probably set more realistic goals.
Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down.

J_

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 04:27:43 PM »
Thanks Premieraw, I'll certainly give that technique a go!  I appreciate your candor.

Judgie, you don't even know what my goals are, so how do you know they're not realistic?   ;)

Jeffort, thanks for breaking it down that way!  I realize that was a simplified example, but it helps to see the steps in making the deductions.   It's typically what you're calling third and fourth level deductions that I'm having difficulty with.   I almost always diagram the initial rules correctly and apply them to the master.   But seeing the logic in place here is extremely helpful.

My motivation hasn't faltered, but you definetely increased my self confidence.  Cheers!
LLS '11

Eveman in Ingmarland

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 04:42:50 PM »

Judgie, you don't even know what my goals are, so how do you know they're not realistic?   ;)

The Judge thinks everyone's goals are unrealistic, and if you hated yourself as much as he hates himself, then you would think so too.

SJ101

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 04:44:26 PM »

The Judge thinks everyone's goals are unrealistic, and if you hated yourself as much as he hates himself, then you would think so too.

This is true. Always remember: empathy is the light that guides us out of the dark forest of anger.

Judgie Poo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nulli Secundus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 04:44:46 PM »
EVERY HOMO DANCE NOW!
Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down.