Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: America Has Lost a Generation of Black Boys  (Read 5030 times)

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: America Has Lost a Generation of Black Boys
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2007, 02:11:48 PM »
LadyKD, that was an awesome response!  But actually, my grandparents quit high school.  Though I think way later in life they did get their GED's.  But they didn't do a great job of teaching their children either.  Five of their six kids (including my mother) ended up in prison, and the other is a cop (don't you love the irony)?  They may have done a better job with my sister and I, but they really never stressed education as I got older.  The only reason I was as successful as I was is because I lived with my dad when I was 11-16.  He went to law school during this time (he had originally quit high school, and now is a partner at his firm).
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2007, 02:28:23 PM »
LadyKD, that was an awesome response!  But actually, my grandparents quit high school.  Though I think way later in life they did get their GED's.  But they didn't do a great job of teaching their children either.  Five of their six kids (including my mother) ended up in prison, and the other is a cop (don't you love the irony)?  They may have done a better job with my sister and I, but they really never stressed education as I got older.  The only reason I was as successful as I was is because I lived with my dad when I was 11-16.  He went to law school during this time (he had originally quit high school, and now is a partner at his firm).

tru indeed

When you see your folks getting educated and doing well, it will make you strive to do well also. My mother dropped out of high school, got her GED, and got a job. My mother pushed me so hard to go to school and to do well because the job market is competitive. I look at my stepmom who has 6 children, and none of them went to college except one who had to take care of his responsibilities so he dropped out. Her girls got pregnant and only 3 of the 6 graduated high school. I truly believe had they been pushed harder and a zero tolerance would have been had for their laziness and not going to school, they wpuld have came out better. But where they're from, it seems the norm to get pregnant, work at Mickey D's, go to the club to look for a man to take care of you while struggling in the process

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2007, 02:37:31 PM »
No one said it isn't human, but is it a legitimate excuse, and if so, for how long?  If you are 8 and not doing well in school, you need to get your @$$ kicked.  My grandparents (who I lived with until I was 11) are/were (my grandfather is dead, hence the 'were') probably among the ranks of the highly uneducated, but they would have killed me if I brought home bad grades.  That being said, once I finished high school, they told me to get a job, and to go to school part-time (isn't that the uneducated way of thinking?)  I told them I'd just live off of student loans, and go to school full-time.

Not uneducated just that in their time if you got through high school you were really doing something. My aunts and uncles all graduated high school..Why? Because my grandfather wouldn't have it any other way. Now after that you choose your path. For most of them it was get a job, start a family, join the miltary, get a trade(masonery, construction) the point was to do SOMETHING. As each generation came behind the next you pushed that group to do better. We(insert race here as needed) have lost the idea of pushing the next generation to do better. Now we say things like ever one learns differently, he a more creative thinker and my favorite... school is not for everyone. Alright then if school is not for you, that doesn't excuse you from doing something other than scratching your ass. Get a trade. If you can boost a car, learn to fix one. There are apprenticeships... plumbers, carpenters, construction, etc. We had our time to whine about why we couldn't and if not for a few brave souls standing up and saying just because I am black doesn't limit me in how far I can go. Some of us would still be whining and crying asking Massa to throw us a damn scrap. What am I saying some of us still do..

Wow. Here Here.

FrankWhite

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2007, 04:21:04 PM »

tru indeed

When you see your folks getting educated and doing well, it will make you strive to do well also. My mother dropped out of high school, got her GED, and got a job. My mother pushed me so hard to go to school and to do well because the job market is competitive. I look at my stepmom who has 6 children, and none of them went to college except one who had to take care of his responsibilities. Her girls got pregnant and only 3 of the 6 graduated high school. I truly believe had they been pushed harder and a zero tolerance would have been had for their laziness and not going to school, they wpuld have came out better. But where they're from, it seems the norm to get pregnant, work at Mickey D's, go to the club to look for a man to take care of you while struggling in the process

Its mos def the parents. I also grew up with my grandparents. One worked was a custodian and the other worked at Superfresh. I didn't have much to "look up at" but ever since I can remember they always told me "your going to college and you don't have an option". Out of 6 kids only my mom went to college. I think parents are too willing to accept mediocrity now. B's weren't even enough for my grandma.
Emory Law Class of 2010

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2007, 04:27:25 PM »
I remember getting in trouble for fighting in 5th grade.  My grandfather wrote on a cone "DUMB", and made me sit in the front yard for the whole afternoon.  Then I had to mow the freakin lawn, rake and bag the cut grass.  It didn't help that I got my @$$ kicked in the fight either.
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2007, 10:01:19 AM »
I remember getting in trouble for fighting in 5th grade.  My grandfather wrote on a cone "DUMB", and made me sit in the front yard for the whole afternoon.  Then I had to mow the freakin lawn, rake and bag the cut grass.  It didn't help that I got my @$$ kicked in the fight either.

lol at cutting the grass!  Ah, the memories!
Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford