Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: America Has Lost a Generation of Black Boys  (Read 5031 times)

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: America Has Lost a Generation of Black Boys
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2007, 02:18:20 PM »
I was always particularly interested in how The Great Depression stifled the often forgotten Civil Rights movement in the 1920's. 

When did America shift from having pride in our accomplishments?  There seems to be huge divisions among the nation, along political, social, economical, and racial lines.  It seems as if we cannot unite under any common theme.  What gives?
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2007, 02:25:14 PM »
@ WiQuipedia...

I have to run now, but the bottom line is this...

God's principles work.  They will work, irrespective of culture, condition, religious beliefs, etc.  I'm not talking about "saying grace/doing my Jesus dance/"God is good all the time" religion.  I'm talking about having a heart that has been captivated by the beauty and majesty of our God and is totally surrendered to learning to live life according to His plan and design.  When this happens (at an individual, family, and cultural level), healing and restoration come.  The Bible has plenty of principles, often illustrated through stories about everyday men and women who lived long ago, that people with "eyes to see and ears to hear" can extract and apply to their everyday lives.  Living these things and passing them on to your children (which, not suprisingly, is exactly what God commands) will produce lasting fruit, peace, prosperity, etc.  Not doing these things is guaranteed to produce more of the same mess (despair, hopelessness, poverty, lack, etc.) for you and your children's children.  Plain and simple.  I could refer you to resources that may help you better understand what I'm talking about.  I don't mean "sweating, huffing, puffing preaching tapes" but people who are reasoning from Godly principles in the fields of education, business, family life, etc. in order to find actual solutions to the issues that plague us all.  I don't claim to have all the answers, but I'm open to finding them together.  Just let me know.
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2007, 02:38:25 PM »
So this is where all the cool people are this morning. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2007, 03:35:18 PM »
And if it hit them in the forehead, they might incorrectly assume it was bad!  :P
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2007, 03:39:18 PM »
Yes it is, but my names not Frankly.  ;D

Wow! That was lame!

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2007, 04:04:06 PM »
The second point: It's true that there are individuals who could and do overcome an unstable family background, poverty, lack of good social networks etc. To expect that to happen at a population level without an external stimulus is pie-in-the-sky and doesn't amount to much more than rhetoric.

In general, I agree with what you say here. Yet, I find it interesting that you include "unstable family background" in your list of factors that do not promote cultural success for AAs.  See, blacks have always been entrenched in poverty.  We have historically been denied access to "good" (or shall we say, white) social networks.  What has not always been true, however, is this notion of an "unstable family background."  Before the era of baby-mamas and baby-daddies, cohabitation, more black males in jail than school/employment, and teenage pregnancy -- blacks fought for their families and for the betterment of their children.  This was true from the days of the slave quarters to the days of Jim Crow.  Stable families helped lift AAs out of some of the quagmires to which poverty and lack of access to social networks inevitably lead.  Any attempt to address the current problems facing the black community without realistically acknowledging that blacks have to take responsibility for their own families is destined to fail.  I could go on and on why I believe that the family, as the first institution God ordained, is so critical to this effort...  Suffice it to say for now, however, that the black family is both the cause and cure for many of the ills facing our community. 

I'd agree that the family unit (broadly defined) is central.  I don't believe that the regeneration can or will happen spontaneously. We -- as a society -- need to do better at discovering, designing, and funding support strategies to help black families achieve parity with other groups. 

I agree with the bolded response...extremely well stated.

Agree

Nowadays, blacks have this thing with worrying about themselves. We need to start supporting each other and building our communities up. Look at the Jews. We can do it too.

Black people need to look out for each other and help to take care of one another. Instill better values in our children so when they grow up, they can defeat these stereotypes of being in jail, not getting an adequate education, etc. Get ourselves out of these hoods, because those hoods is whats keeping the black man down.

Black men feel that they cant do anything else but hustle and sell drugs. Some people are at the wrong place at the wrong time, then have to do a bid in jail. Get out and wanna make something of themselves, and cant because the system wont let you...designed for you to fail

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2007, 04:15:19 PM »
I don't know that the system is designed to fail, more than just reward those who aren't "in the wrong place at the wrong time".

My mother spent a great deal of her life in prison.  She previously violated her parole.  She often says that the parole process is BS because it is designed to fail.  I disagree.  She lost her freedom, and is now at the mercy of others, and needs to fulfill each and every requirement they bestow upon her to regain her freedom.

I think that the majority of people in prison committed their underlying crimes.  I think the person who was truly in the wrong place at the wrong time is a commonly spoke about rarity.

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2007, 04:48:17 PM »
I don't know that the system is designed to fail, more than just reward those who aren't "in the wrong place at the wrong time".

My mother spent a great deal of her life in prison.  She previously violated her parole.  She often says that the parole process is BS because it is designed to fail.  I disagree.  She lost her freedom, and is now at the mercy of others, and needs to fulfill each and every requirement they bestow upon her to regain her freedom.

I think that the majority of people in prison committed their underlying crimes.  I think the person who was truly in the wrong place at the wrong time is a commonly spoke about rarity.

A rarity they are, but there are still some

Not making any excuses, but alot of black males come from broken homes with no father, so their upbringing may be a little diff from those who grew up with both parents

Then you have some that are in the hood and are poor. They see drugs as an only mean to get out of the hood and quick. It can go back to crack being put in the black community as well.

I just wish black people can realize there is much more to life than that and that they can do so much better. We need better role models, and not teachers who will tell you that you'll never amount to anything. I dont think that blacks should use the excuse about the man holding us down as a crutch, but in certain circumstances, i can see where people can come from when saying that.

But...
The system may be designed for black males to fail and the man may be holdong you down, but he cant do it if u dont let him. Get out here, get an education, stick by these young mothers, and raise these childrens with hopes, dreams, confidence, and the like

And i can kind of see where your mother is coming from, im supposed to be trying to do better, but i cant even get a chance. The cycle repaeats itself. Get out of jail, try to do better, but cant even get hired. Therefore, the streets are calling and you'll always go back. Sad cycle

We all make mistakes, i think people should be given second chances.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2007, 05:03:40 PM »
Let me just add my 2c. -

"The system" is actually designed to hold everyone down, not just African Americans. In a capitalistic system, everyone needs to struggle to succeed. I hear a lot about white people having outstanding networking opportunities, but in reality, I have never been privy to any such opportunity, and neither has any successful white person who I have ever met.

There are ethnic networks, such as perhaps the hellenic american chamber of conference. There are religious networks, such as a church or synagogue where wealthy patrons go to pray and hobnob. There are even class-sensitive networks, such as country clubs. None of these, however, is innately available to someone just because they happened to pop out of their mother a few shades lighter.

In contrast, progressive african americans do provide networking opportunities, as well as substantial material benefits to a younger generation of african americans who strive to improve their lives. Organizations such as the NAACP, the United Negro College Fund, Historically Black Universities, and racially-sensitive scholarship programs exist solely to benefit African Americans. Even the "white" government, gives significant competitive advantages to minority-owned business.

I will wholeheartedly agree that the historical oppression of African Americans is a primary cause of many of the social ills their grandchildren face today, but I think it is unfair to say that there are no real opportunities to break out of the cycle for many African Americans. The opportunities are there, the real question is - when will the African American community come together, and start to make use of these opportunities to further themselves? Until they do, "the system" will keep holding them down.

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2007, 05:25:40 PM »
I don't know that the African American community should be united.  When do we ever talk about "Whites" coming together?  We might if it seems Barack Obama will win the election, and the whites come out in masses to vote for someone else!  Kidding aside, it is a ridiculous notion that there is a black community.  Races of people do not view issues in the same way.