Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: America Has Lost a Generation of Black Boys  (Read 5057 times)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: America Has Lost a Generation of Black Boys
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 01:12:56 PM »
What exactly is the "white man"?  I'm not trying to be funny, but race is a social construct, and I'd like to know what the parameters of the definition are for this particular conversation.

Also, Naturallybeyoutiful, you say you are an African-American.  What country are you from?  I've never really understood (and I'm not targeting you, I don't know where you are from) why people would call themselves African-Americans, but yet are not from Africa.  I mean, wouldn't they just be Americans?  I attended an HBCU with a large number of Africans, and the cultural differences between Africans in America, and black Americans was like night and day (no pun intended).

see, that's part of the reason that i don't designate myself nor any black person i see on the street as African America...i just say that I'm black...and if ppl go further, say my dad is from JA
Columbia 3L

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 01:13:15 PM »
I definitely agree that there are innumerable forces working against the formation of healthy families in general and black families in particular.  As for the latter, however, there has never really been a period in our country when this was not the case.  What I believe has changed, however, is the fact that black families are now decaying from within (not simply without) at an alarming rate.  In the span of a few decades, we have begun to do to ourselves what even generations upon generations of slavery and segregation couldn't do.  I think this is something for which we, and only we, are ultimately responsible. The flip side of this, however, is that we have the power to restore, heal, and rebuild our families. We don't have to (and indeed cannot afford to) wait for the government, the white man, or the nameless, faceless "society" to do for us what we ought to have the sense to do for ourselves.  Just my $0.02...   

I don't agree with this.

Like I said, it's just my thoughts.  You're free to disagree.  If you want to share what you think though, I'm open to hearing you out.  :)
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

lawschoolboundlady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2007, 01:14:43 PM »
Admittedly, I only skimmed that article.  Nonetheless, I think it more accurate to say that "black parents have lost a generation of black boys." The old African proverb that says "the ruin of a nation begins in its homes"  can aptly be applied here.

Wow. Are you an African American?

Yes, and proudly so.   ;D

I agree with you, but wouldn't you agree that society at large, as well as historical injustices have surely had a crippling impact on the african american family dynamic?

I definitely agree that there are innumerable forces working against the formation of healthy families in general and black families in particular.  As for the latter, however, there has never really been a period in our country when this was not the case.  What I believe has changed, however, is the fact that black families are now decaying from within (not simply without) at an alarming rate.  In the span of a few decades, we have begun to do to ourselves what even generations upon generations of slavery and segregation couldn't do.  I think this is something for which we, and only we, are ultimately responsible. The flip side of this, however, is that we have the power to restore, heal, and rebuild our families. We don't have to (and indeed cannot afford to) wait for the government, the white man, or the nameless, faceless "society" to do for us what we ought to have the sense to do for ourselves.  Just my $0.02...   

TITCR.

I agree that inumerable forces are working against a healthy family structure and inhibiting  the black community in its ability to grow and prosper. At this point, I think it is pointless to blame these forces or pinpoint one person/group to hold responsible. In the end, the person most in power to change a situation is the individual/groups of individuals. There is enough power within the community to fix this problem. I think the days of asking for retribution etc should be over. I'm not saying I don't agree that acts from the government or "whiteman" would be long overdue/deserved/justified. I just think it's obvious intentions are not genuine and that if these are the only means relied upon.. the black community is destined to remain at a standstill or never reach its full potential. We have to build from within because other people just don't understand or care enough to truly help beyond a surface effort to evade their own feelings of guilt or save face in a culture where diversity is a buzz word. ( even if they contributed immensely to the problem...pointing fingers doesnt do anything for the promise of the future  ) Fight the power! lol

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2007, 01:15:25 PM »

I don't agree with this.

Care to elaborate?
Yale.Law.School.2010

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2007, 01:15:53 PM »
What exactly is the "white man"?  I'm not trying to be funny, but race is a social construct, and I'd like to know what the parameters of the definition are for this particular conversation.

Also, Naturallybeyoutiful, you say you are an African-American.  What country are you from?  I've never really understood (and I'm not targeting you, I don't know where you are from) why people would call themselves African-Americans, but yet are not from Africa.  I mean, wouldn't they just be Americans?  I attended an HBCU with a large number of Africans, and the cultural differences between Africans in America, and black Americans was like night and day (no pun intended).

see, that's part of the reason that i don't designate myself nor any black person i see on the street as African America
...i just say that I'm black...and if ppl go further, say my dad is from JA

I agree with you there.  Where I grew up, we had blacks and whites.  Period!  And by black, I mean African-Americans...people whose ancestors were slaves in the very town/county in which they live.  When I began to travel during and after college, I began to meet black immigrants from the world over.  That's when it finally hit me that not all blacks are African-Americans.  When I use the term AA though, I am referring to people who are indeed AA (by my definition).  Otherwise, I speak of black people in general.

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2007, 01:17:03 PM »

see, that's part of the reason that i don't designate myself nor any black person i see on the street as African America

I agree with you there.  Where I grew up, we had blacks and whites.  Period!  And by black, I mean African-Americans...people whose ancestors were slaves in the very town/county in which they live.  When I began to travel during and after college, I began to meet black immigrants from the world over.  That's when it finally hit me that not all blacks are African-Americans.  When I use the term AA though, I am referring to people who are indeed AA (by my definition).  Otherwise, I speak of black people in general.

cool...that wasn't directed at you in particular though!  :)

i was talking to Massa one day, and i realized that i barely know anyone that's straight up African America...most of my friends have parents that r from Africa or the WI
Columbia 3L

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 01:19:56 PM »

i was talking to Massa one day, and i realized that i barely know anyone that's straight up African America...most of my friends have parents that r from Africa or the WI

No prob.  I just wanted to clarify in case I wasn't clear though.  :)  As for your experience, I think that's part of the issue, too.  Do you mean people that you've met in elite institutions, programs, and the like?  If so, it would underscore my point that AA are largely out of the game in these arenas.  This is troubling.

ETA As for me though, I barely know (I mean really "know") someone whose parents aren't AA. 

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2007, 01:22:56 PM »

No prob.  I just wanted to clarify in case I wasn't clear though.  :)  As for your experience, I think that's part of the issue, too.  Do you mean people that you've met in elite institutions, programs, and the like?  If so, it would underscore my point that AA are largely out of the game in these arenas.  This is troubling.

ETA As for me though, I barely know (I mean really "know") someone whose parents aren't AA. 

well...i'm from bk, and a good amount of the blacks that live are immigrants or descendants of.  i went to a nondescript catholic school--damn near everyone was WI.  then i went to my ug, and most of the black ppl there were either from/or their parents were from Africa or the WI.  but i don't think that's uncommon at ivies tho.
Columbia 3L

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 01:25:25 PM »
You are implying, in your first major post, that the disintegration of the black family is new and self-inflicted. It is neither.

I think you've misunderstood my first post.  Let me quote the relevant portion below.  Give me a sec.

Hopefully, rereading my first post shows that I do not believe that challenges facing the black family are "new" in any way.  I also do not believe that they are only self-inflicted or only external.  I acknowledge the reality of life as a black American in this country.  What I do not accept, however, is the (lack of) responsibility and accountability some blacks do not shoulder as to a) how we got here, and b) how we can move beyond this. 

Rule of Reason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2007, 01:26:06 PM »
I attended an HBCU with a large number of Africans, and the cultural differences between Africans in America, and black Americans was like night and day (no pun intended).

I think this is touching on a pretty important nerve (I'm a white male btw)... in some ways, there are probably less barriers culturally facing Africans in America than black Americans.