Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: America Has Lost a Generation of Black Boys  (Read 4755 times)

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: America Has Lost a Generation of Black Boys
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 11:10:47 PM »
Here is a good African Proverb:

Do not step on the dog's tail, and he will not bite you.

and the Americanized version:

Do not step on the dog's tail, and he will not bite you, unless it is one of Michael Vick's dogs, in which case he'll bite you anyways.

Lulz.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 11:44:04 AM »
Admittedly, I only skimmed that article.  Nonetheless, I think it more accurate to say that "black parents have lost a generation of black boys." The old African proverb that says "the ruin of a nation begins in its homes"  can aptly be applied here.

Wow. Are you an African American?

Yes, and proudly so.   ;D
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 12:12:52 PM »
Admittedly, I only skimmed that article.  Nonetheless, I think it more accurate to say that "black parents have lost a generation of black boys." The old African proverb that says "the ruin of a nation begins in its homes"  can aptly be applied here.

I agree with you, but wouldn't you agree that society at large, as well as historical injustices have surely had a crippling impact on the african american family dynamic?

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 12:17:07 PM »

I agree with you, but wouldn't you agree that society at large, as well as historical injustices have surely had a crippling impact on the african american family dynamic?

But those aren't the only culprits.  Society doesn't force boys to impregnate girls and then run off.  Nor does it force boys to not pay attention in school and join gangs. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 12:19:49 PM »

But those aren't the only culprits.  Society doesn't force boys to impregnate girls and then run off.  Nor does it force boys to not pay attention in school and join gangs. 

Agreed. At the same time, if you grow up in an unhealthy environment, I think it's possible that you will not have the benefits of proper socialization, and be somewhat more unlikely to be susceptible to accepting social norms that further harm society.

Some people are capable of overcoming their environmental circumstances, but I think it's pretty clear that the chips are stacked against you if all the kids on your block are drugdealers, and your only rolemodels are ballers, pimps and rappers.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 12:23:51 PM »

I definitely agree that there are innumerable forces working against the formation of healthy families in general and black families in particular.  As for the latter, however, there has never really been a period in our country when this was not the case.  What I believe has changed, however, is the fact that black families are now decaying from within (not simply without) at an alarming rate.  In the span of a few decades, we have begun to do to ourselves what even generations upon generations of slavery and segregation couldn't do.  I think this is something for which we, and only we, are ultimately responsible. The flip side of this, however, is that we have the power to restore, heal, and rebuild our families. We don't have to (and indeed cannot afford to) wait for the government, the white man, or the nameless, faceless "society" to do for us what we ought to have the sense to do for ourselves.  Just my $0.02...   

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 12:26:40 PM »

I definitely agree that there are innumerable forces working against the formation of healthy families in general and black families in particular.  As for the latter, however, there has never really been a period in our country when this was not the case.  What I believe has changed, however, is the fact that black families are now decaying from within (not simply without) at an alarming rate.  In the span of a few decades, we have begun to do to ourselves what even generations upon generations of slavery and segregation couldn't do.  I think this is something for which we, and only we, are ultimately responsible. The flip side of this, however, is that we have the power to restore, heal, and rebuild our families. We don't have to (and indeed cannot afford to) wait for the government, the white man, or the nameless, faceless "society" to do for us what we ought to have the sense to do for ourselves.  Just my $0.02...   

Edit: As a "white man" and a member of "society", I wholeheartedly agree with you. :)

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 12:28:09 PM »

Well said.
Yale.Law.School.2010

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 12:38:21 PM »
What exactly is the "white man"?  I'm not trying to be funny, but race is a social construct, and I'd like to know what the parameters of the definition are for this particular conversation.

Also, Naturallybeyoutiful, you say you are an African-American.  What country are you from?  I've never really understood (and I'm not targeting you, I don't know where you are from) why people would call themselves African-Americans, but yet are not from Africa.  I mean, wouldn't they just be Americans?  I attended an HBCU with a large number of Africans, and the cultural differences between Africans in America, and black Americans was like night and day (no pun intended).
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 01:12:11 PM »
What exactly is the "white man"?  I'm not trying to be funny, but race is a social construct, and I'd like to know what the parameters of the definition are for this particular conversation.

Good question.  I'm not sure what or who "the white man" is.  I was simply repeating a term I often hear used as to why black people can't get ahead.  Besides, I'm not sure who "the white man" is in this day and age.  It sounds a lot like an excuse to my ears though.

Also, Naturallybeyoutiful, you say you are an African-American.  What country are you from?  I've never really understood (and I'm not targeting you, I don't know where you are from) why people would call themselves African-Americans, but yet are not from Africa. 

I call myself African-American because I believe it is the most accurate descriptor I've ever heard to date.  I am an American of African descent, as distinguished from an American of Italian, English, Scottish, Chinese, Arab, etc. descent.  Both terms apply and apply equally as far as I'm concerned. 

Although I definitely use the term "black" people when the situation warrants it, I prefer AA when it comes to describing my nationality/ethnicity.  It is more specific than "black", a term which describes a shade of skin that a) few people really have, and b) does not tell you anything meaningful about a person's background.  Seriously...there are "black" people in the US, Canada, Jamaica, most African nations, England, France, India, Puerto Rico, Australia, Mexico, and the list goes on and on.  When the conversation merits not lumping us all together in a "one-size-fits-all" approach, I use AA to distinguish myself from Nigerians, Ghanaians, Bajans, Jamaicans, etc.

I mean, wouldn't they just be Americans?

That's the million dollar question of centuries past.  If America treated all her black citizens like "just Americans", then I'd reconsider AA.

I attended an HBCU with a large number of Africans, and the cultural differences between Africans in America, and black Americans was like night and day (no pun intended).

Some of those cultural differences were not as marked just a few decades back.  This brings me back to my original point.  African-American families are largely failing to pass to subsequent generations the values that build productive students, employees, entrepreneurs, and citizens.  To the extent that you see African students with families doing this, they will be successful (or at least have had every opportunity to do so).  To the extend that you've seen African-American students without this, they tend to be, on the whole, unsuccessful.  I thank God every day for an African-American family that has preserved and transmitted the cultural, spiritual, and educational values that have helped me become the person I am.  I have plenty of family and friends who can say the same.  Unfortunately, I have another plenty that cannot.  It is the latter group that concerns me.