Law School Discussion

"Academia"

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
"Academia"
« on: July 23, 2007, 09:46:48 AM »
Not sure if this is the correct forum to address this question, but I need to know:

When NALP or USNEWS publish employment statistics, they reserve one section for "academia". In the context of post-graduate employment, what exactly does this mean? Are there people who go straight from law school to becoming a professor? How difficult is it to become a professor of political science, legal studies, legal history, government, or some related field  with a JD?

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: "Academia"
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 10:17:06 AM »
1. Yeah, academia usually means professor. I think it would also cover other related things like paid researcher and university administration.

admissions, career services, librarians, etc. as well.  I think it is pretty rare to go straight into a professorship unless you have 2+ publications, and then I would think you would still be headed to a low ranked school.  For legal academia a clerkship and a little prior employment are pretty necessary.

Other factors in this might be people who already have advanced degrees and/ or already have teaching experience.  One of my closest profs has centered his dissertation and books/ articles on legal aspects of critical race studies and immigration law.  He is considering going to law school just to get more knowledge about legal theory and to be able to teach both PoliSci and Law classes.

Are there people who go straight from law school to becoming a professor? How difficult is it to become a professor of political science, legal studies, legal history, government, or some related field  with a JD?

I would say that of these options only legal studies would want you without any other degree ... and not every school is devoted to their legal studies dept. (if they even have one) ... there are only two full time profs at my school with JDs and they are in the business school.

But in terms of PoliSci or History you will probably need to do another degree.

Re: "Academia"
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 10:45:25 AM »

How difficult is it to become a professor of political science, legal studies, legal history, government, or some related field  with a JD?

it's as difficult as becoming a law prof; that's because most law profs don't write about or teach legal doctrine. rather, they write about and teach whatever interests them at that moment. honestly, my legal education is perhaps best desribed as a graduate program in democratic theory and economics.