Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pacing yourself/getting burnt out  (Read 616 times)

HLSecurity

• View Profile
Pacing yourself/getting burnt out
« on: July 23, 2007, 10:41:39 AM »
For all of you who have taken the LSAT, and/or studying for it now, how are you pacing yourself in order to avoid getting burn out? For example, instead of doing all of my 40+ hours a week of studying and questions for my prep class in one sitting (one day or so), I try to study the methods, take a break, do 10 problems at a time, take a break, and then review any missed questions throughout a three-to-four-day period. I find that when I sit down and do more than a couple hours of questions at a time, I just start to try to get done with them toward the end, and make stupid mistakes without analyzing the problem and the lessons behind it. I gradually want to work up my stamina for test day, but has anyone else burnt themselves out with certain ways of studying or prevented themselves from being burnt out with certain study habits? Just looking for some best practices and lessons learned...

madoka

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pacing yourself/getting burnt out
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 12:37:53 PM »
Everyone has a different breaking point.  I've had students who could consistently do 2 tests per day or up to 6 hours straight of LSAT tutoring at a time.  I've had students who refused to do any work no matter how much I begged them.  It's pretty much up to what you are used to and what you can stand, so asking others means you'll just get a wide range of responses.  That said, I think your schedule is on the light side, though I pushed my students more than any other instructor I've ever heard of.  If you find that you can't think for more than 2 hours at a time, you're going to have trouble on test day.  Start building your stamina now rather than later.

HLSecurity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 12:48:33 PM »
I guess I should have been more specific. I study at least an average of 5-6 hours a day, but only study in 2-hour blocks. Perhaps a critique or comment of my study method was more what I was looking for, and wanted to see if anyone else had any good study habits or formats that helped them retain the most information and utilize their time effectively without studying for 10 hours straight and being burnt out a month before the test.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 02:36:18 PM »
I would personally recommend only doing LSAT prep 3-5 days a week, starting out with less work, and gradually building up to more. 

Judgie Poo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nulli Secundus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 04:56:12 PM »
I'd say  do it every day.  Learn some mental toughness.

Set realistic goals.
Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down.

dankus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 05:18:59 PM »

Set realistic goals.

This has been my strategy so far.

At the moment, there has been only one downside.  If I think, after completing a session on any day, that I will take the next day off and rest, my dreams tend to have characters that taunt me about the LSAT, which forces me to study the next day.

HLSecurity

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 05:21:19 PM »

Set realistic goals.

This has been my strategy so far.

At the moment, there has been only one downside.  If I think, after completing a session on any day, that I will take the next day off and rest, my dreams tend to have characters that taunt me about the LSAT, which forces me to study the next day.

HA! Me, too!

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 10:15:51 PM »

1. This won't help in avoiding burnout.

2.  All of J.Poo's posts are flame, designed to hurt, not help.