Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD vs Loyola  (Read 1034 times)

prokrastinator

• View Profile
USD vs Loyola
« on: July 23, 2007, 01:37:05 AM »
Hi everyone:

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I've been accepted to both Loyola and U.San Diego - I have to make a decision in the next few days. I'm going to visit both campuses in the middle of next week, but I was hoping to get some insight/opinions here on which school I should attend.  Thanks!

sno

• Sr. Citizen
  • run from this law bitches
    • AOL Instant Messenger - snobord99999
    • View Profile
Re: USD vs Loyola
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 03:13:54 AM »
do you perfer la or sd?
usd class of '09!

harold: what happened to my car?
nph: i left some loves stains in the back seat

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=snobord99

prokrastinator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 04:01:21 AM »
It's been a long long time since I visited LA and SD...
From what I've gathered so far, SD is a much nicer city to live in while Loyola might have an advantage in the rankings, and name-recognition. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 04:34:54 AM »
do you perfer la or sd?

lol

Hi sno.

How's it going?

To the OP: sno is right.  That's the question to answer.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

prokrastinator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 04:54:19 PM »
Any more thoughts on USD vs Loyola from anyone? I know...to boil it down to whether i like LA or SD is the most basic answer, but it seems a bit simplistic..? (Or is it really that easy...that the schools are so similar that it just depends on which city i prefer?)

I really appreciate any help...thank you..! I need to make a decision in the next 3 days..!  Thanks..

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 04:59:57 PM »
Any more thoughts on USD vs Loyola from anyone? I know...to boil it down to whether i like LA or SD is the most basic answer, but it seems a bit simplistic..? (Or is it really that easy...that the schools are so similar that it just depends on which city i prefer?)

I really appreciate any help...thank you..! I need to make a decision in the next 3 days..!  Thanks..

I'd go with USD, because it's the only local school in the market.  Loyola is one of 5-7 local schools in L.A., with two of those schools T20. 

babyeatsdingo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 05:05:38 PM »
Do you know where you want to practice? If, for example, you want to practice in, say, NY or SF, I doubt it matters which school you pick. If you want to practice in SD, go with USD. If you want to practice in LA then ... wait ... why would you want to practice or live in LA?

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 05:09:45 PM »
Do you know where you want to practice? If, for example, you want to practice in, say, NY or SF, I doubt it matters which school you pick. If you want to practice in SD, go with USD. If you want to practice in LA then ... wait ... why would you want to practice or live in LA?

L.A.'s actually a pretty cool town in some respects. 

I'm a big fan of Malibu.

babyeatsdingo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 05:13:16 PM »
I like Malibu too. Pacific Palisades is nice. Many Loyola JDs at either?

Einstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 05:15:54 PM »
Ok here is my run down of the two schools.  Like the last poster said.. loyola is in a HUGE market BUT there are a TON of other law schools that are similarly ranked or higher ranked in the city.  And from what I have heard Loyola is in a bad neighborhood and it doesn't feel like a college campus.  There are pluses to Loyola, it is basically in the center of LA.  They have had some famous alumni graduate from the law school.  And it is the place to go if you want entertainment law but can't get into the other LA schools.  

USD on the other hand is the highest ranking school in the city of San Diego.  USD out ranks the other two school in San Diego by 2 tiers.  The surrounding area is beautiful, and the faculty has been ranked top 20 in the nation a few years ago.  On top of that, USD dropped in the rankings this past year by 20 points, traditionally it has been ranked around 65 in the USNEWS rankings which is almost tied with Loyola's traditional rankings spot.  And rumor has it, USD is fixing the problem for next years rankings which should bump it back up to normal again.  

USD is located on a huge hill overlooking the ocean.  The campus is amazing.. the weather is awesome.  And graduating from USD you will have a degree from the top university in San Diego which has 3million people.  

Just some things to consider...  ;)

Practice LSAT: 147(d), 150, 151,143,152, 156,161,163,161,160,157,163,158,162

University of San Diego School of Law!