Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BLACK LOVE  (Read 17972 times)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: BLACK LOVE
« Reply #210 on: August 13, 2007, 04:33:32 PM »
at the time it was 1 degree and i was entering law school...believe it or not.. i don't wear academe on my sleeve.. i was simply making an example in my first post.. just made it personal...it's very seldom that those things even come up once the relationship begins...

sometimes i think there's a misconception on this law board.. simply because of what it is.. but (at least i believe) more of us are more down to earth than you'd think...

but i spose it's good to keep them guessing

Show time doesn't start until one o'clock
And once I entered your mind I wouldn't wanna stop
Caressin' ya thoughts till we was thinkin' the same
Calm ya nerves, massage ya brain
Each mic is a mineral, poetry's protein
Verse is a vitamin - affects like codine
So tell me how you feel and I'll reveal
A pill that'll heal ya pain - 'cause I'm real

yeah.  thats what I'm saying.  people can see four degrees and think a million different things for each person out there.  I think it's problematic that those guys pushed how they feel about "four degrees" and "lofty goals" on you as an individual.  Instead of appreciating another way of doing things they imposed their own worldview, which is inherently limited, onto you.  Not right, but in all fairness two wrongs rarely do make right.   
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 13, 2007, 06:06:01 PM »
at the time it was 1 degree and i was entering law school...believe it or not.. i don't wear academe on my sleeve.. i was simply making an example in my first post.. just made it personal...it's very seldom that those things even come up once the relationship begins...

sometimes i think there's a misconception on this law board.. simply because of what it is.. but (at least i believe) more of us are more down to earth than you'd think...

yeah.  thats what I'm saying.  people can see four degrees and think a million different things for each person out there.  I think it's problematic that those guys pushed how they feel about "four degrees" and "lofty goals" on you as an individual.  Instead of appreciating another way of doing things they imposed their own worldview, which is inherently limited, onto you.  Not right, but in all fairness two wrongs rarely do make right.   

I just wonder what is meant by case by case.  Isn't every relationship case by case?  No one would pair just because of pedigree, surely...

EDIT:

I get it.  I would even get it if you wanted to marry someone out of another Ivy.  I totally get it and am not mad.  but lets not be deluded about it, nor be too persecutory. I think it is good to know these sorts of things about ourselves.  we just cant fall asleep at the wheel.  Its too easy to miss out on good things. 
The Tragicomic: Itís embodied in the blues, jazz, (HIP HOP, CORNELL <<one slight deserves another!!!!<< REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THAT ONE!!!) and the African experience in the New World -- the ability to withstand terrorism, embrace oneís worst enemies lovingly and bear the unbearable in song.

dat_raw_n_tellect

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My song!
« Reply #212 on: August 13, 2007, 06:14:58 PM »
lol y'all are a trip!

I won't lie...I get all hot and bothered for nerdy boys but one doesn't necessarily have to have a college degree, in my book, to be "nerdy" (i.e. intelligent).  A college education is icing on the cake for me (the higher the education, the more icing...yuuuuuuuum!)

What I really need is: A man that can cook!  I have a high metabolism...I like to eat and the only thing I can make is reservations.
"What you get free costs too much."
-Jean Anouilh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 13, 2007, 06:35:02 PM »
is there a difference between having a fetish for individuals of a certain complexion and having one for degrees?

do people even have legitimate fetishes for something like degrees? 

would your preference for degrees classify as a fetish?  or more a thought out, rationalized notion?   

on a scale of 1-10 where does passion rate in relationship development:

ideally;

most of the time;

and that time you were really hurt?

The Tragicomic: Itís embodied in the blues, jazz, (HIP HOP, CORNELL <<one slight deserves another!!!!<< REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THAT ONE!!!) and the African experience in the New World -- the ability to withstand terrorism, embrace oneís worst enemies lovingly and bear the unbearable in song.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 13, 2007, 07:22:45 PM »
I don't think you got it at all honestly.. it isn't a "fetish".. it's not even that deep..degrees don't "turn me on"..what kind of sense does that make?? it's like some of you guys have completely ignored what i said regarding marriage and preserving family etc..

I just wonder what is meant by case by case.  Isn't every relationship case by case?  No one would pair just because of pedigree, surely...

EDIT:

I get it.  I would even get it if you wanted to marry someone out of another Ivy.  I totally get it and am not mad.  but lets not be deluded about it, nor be too persecutory. I think it is good to know these sorts of things about ourselves.  we just cant fall asleep at the wheel.  Its too easy to miss out on good things. 
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 13, 2007, 07:41:29 PM »
I don't think you got it at all honestly.. it isn't a "fetish".. it's not even that deep..degrees don't "turn me on"..what kind of sense does that make?? it's like some of you guys have completely ignored what i said regarding marriage and preserving family etc..

EDIT:

i get that you have the right to limit whoever you want to date for whatever reasons, and as far as reasons go, yours arent that bad and Ive heard much worse.  i dont think our problems lie in us having too many four degree power couples.  i see them as a good thing.  really just wondering why it was necessary to say you take exceptions on a case by case basis - isnt that a given with or without post b.a.- that you would take suitors on a case by case basis.  You imply some level of extra scrutiny when you spell out what is a given. if it is indeed extra scrutiny, becareful how its received.  People are capable of sensing things in interpersonal relationhips, even if they cant/dont/wont articulate them.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 13, 2007, 10:04:21 PM »
A BA is my minimum requirement.  I tend to think graduate degrees are overrated, so it's definitely not required and not even necessarily a plus!  Maybe that's my business background showing, where MBAs are definitely overrated.

That said, my bf will end up with a master's and DDS.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

MachuPicchu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 13, 2007, 10:08:17 PM »
(...since this thread is already highjacked...)

blck_reign's point about the challenges women face in equalizing or at least balancing their partnerships is well-made.

But it reminds me of what some feminist scholars have argued: Women entering high-powered, long-hour or highly visible professions might consider marrying "down" (academic, outside-the-home ambition level, etc.) instead of "equal." They cite stats that show highly educated and/or professional women with similar husbands are almost always the partners to give up their full-time jobs or high salaries and to either stay at home or take time cuts/hiatuses that derail their career trajectories  (and from what I've read, private law work is still mostly unaccomodating to parental leave and people who try "come back" to the practice after a few years' leave).

In this schema, the male partner would work part-time or 9 to 5, shouldering the majority of during- or after-work childcare, preparing meals many days of the week, etc.

Marrying a man with either less formal ed or with a less demanding job helps on two fronts: (a) it helps each individual woman realize her academic/career potential in a society often hostile to this, and (b)it creates and helps sustain a core mass of women role models for the next generation.

*Note that less demanding job or less education =/= less intelligent, less conversant in politics or literature, etc. or anything else two people like to talk about.

This is the way some female and male feminists/humanists think the U.S. can take steps towards gender and human equality. I am intrigued by this, and wonder what high-powered and/OR educated women feel about this.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 13, 2007, 10:12:44 PM »
i didn't say i take exceptions to anything on a case by case basis.. you're getting me mixed up with someone else it seems.. no two people are alike so that logic is faulty.. what works in one situation may not work in the next...

the funny thing is that i never said anything about limiting who i'd date or what reasons i'd limit them... the point that i made was that in our generation it is very hard to establish yourself and prepare for family on the salary of a BA.. there are circumstances where that doesn't hold true but there are some serious questions that i have when it comes to making decisions that are of importance (SO/marriage/family/career)..

for me family is #1.. academics and career are secondary.. career and academics are in place to provide for family in the future..and that has always been the way that i look @ things..maybe i think too critically.. maybe i think about situations in the long run..

what if i get sick? would my husband be able to take care of the children and me if i could no longer work?  what if he gets sick? would i be able to take care of him and the children if he could no longer work?

things happen... and i'd feel more comfortable being in a position with my SO where neither one of us are carrying most of the financial weight which could ultimately become a burden @ one point or another...

i get that you have the right to limit whoever you want to date for whatever reasons, and as far as reasons go, yours arent that bad and Ive heard much worse.  i dont think our problems lie in us having too many four degree power couples.  i see them as a good thing.  really just wondering why it was necessary to say you take exceptions on a case by case basis - isnt that a given with or without post b.a.- that you would take suitors on a case by case basis.  You imply some level of extra scrutiny when you spell out what is a given. if it is indeed extra scrutiny, becareful how its received.  People are capable of sensing things in interpersonal relationhips, even if they cant/dont/wont articulate them.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 13, 2007, 10:20:54 PM »
not certain if this was directed @ me or not but i'll bite..

as i said i don't have any "fetishes".. and i can't say that i know of anyone that is seeking out someone solely on their academic prowess.. but for reasons mentioned earlier in this thread i believe that there could be some issues for people who decide that they are opposed to dating men or women who are light or dark skinned.. (i'm really not trying to go back to that convo btw)

it isn't degrees in as much as it's job security and ambition with action...

what's your definition of passion? that's the better question.. it's a broad word interpreted differently by people..

is there a difference between having a fetish for individuals of a certain complexion and having one for degrees?

do people even have legitimate fetishes for something like degrees? 

would your preference for degrees classify as a fetish?  or more a thought out, rationalized notion?   

on a scale of 1-10 where does passion rate in relationship development:

ideally;

most of the time;

and that time you were really hurt?