Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BLACK LOVE  (Read 17893 times)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: BLACK LOVE
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2007, 06:18:02 PM »
i can't speak for everyone else.. but i can say this (or a variation of it) is a topic that comes up quite often on this board...typically started by someone that has less than 10 posts.. with that said it can be hard to take the OP  seriously given the content..

personally i think it's ridiculous to differentiate between light skin..dark skin..and mixed when it comes to dating or even friendships for that matter..and the whole conversation takes me back to the white doll black doll situation to be honest...

"i'm black as coal".. oooh weee if the light skinned sista is on the level playing field as the darkie the darkie gotsta go..but lawd if the light skinned sista is dumber than the darkie then i guess i'll settle..

hard not to shake your head at something like that... not only is it wild to me to have that method of thinking in 2007 but it shows that as a people we still have a LONNNNNNNNG way to go...

I didn't think that this thread would be too popular amongst the women of BLSD. 

Care to elaborate? I'm interested. ;)

I'm not sure what Pulchritudinous is implying with the landmine analogy but the woman on here tend to shake their heads at ignorant or blanketed statements and  several have occured in this thread.

Yes I would marry a mixed woman, as a matter of fact if I was in love I'd marry a woman totally outside of my race. Do I feel that there are plenty of deserving African-American women that I should look towards first to marry? Well in a way yes. I love my sisters and I know that sometimes it can be a little difficult for them to find a black man at or above their level, but I don't feel I'm obligated to do so because of that. I've experienced women from every major race and a few different nationalities, and while they were definitely interesting experiences, I definitely feel that special connection with my black sisters.

I thought this next one was flame, at first. ???

I'm as black as coal and I like them light skinned, no matter what race.

I'm black, but people think I'm mixed because I'm fair-skinned. I do have Indian in my family though, lol!!

When I see black men with women who aren't black, I don't have a problem with it, although my black girlfriends always seem to. I think it's silly. I remember getting looks and comments from black men when I dated the white guys too.

Why? Why not dark skinned or brown skinned women. Ive met many darker sisters who look better than some lightskinned sisters. But i suppose you'd choose the lightskinned one because she is light right?

I'm afraid you're right. I would but not blindly. I wont jump on a chick just cos she's light skinned, she would still have to pass some basic tests. I would not pass up a brilliant dark skinned woman over a dumb light skinned chick, I just mean that in a situation where all things remain equal, I would opt for the light skinned one. No disrespect to my dark sistas, I still love and respect 'em, just would rather have a light skinned one with me. I have three sisters, one is lightskinned and the other two are beautiful dark skinned women but do I love one more than the other cos she's light skinned and the other is not? No. But on the romantic side, thats just what I'm attracted to. My mom's light skinned, some folks say that's got something to do with it, I dont believe 'em. For some reason I just like 'em better.

From here, I SMH and digress.

Oh well. My statements were neither ignorant nor blanketed, as I was speaking from my own personal experience. If anything, the reactions from people I described in my posts were what I would shake my head at.

Interesting subject matter though. I like the outspoken nature of some of the posts, though I do not agree with everything said.

I wonder why people are being so tight-lipped about what they think anyway.  These seem like the types of issues we should address and try to understand why people think the way they do, and perhaps offer them some insight into a different point of view, especially if their statements seem ignorant or appalling(sp?).
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2007, 06:21:22 PM »
are u intellectual cop #1 or #2? :D ;D ;)

I wonder why people are being so tight-lipped about what they think anyway.  These seem like the types of issues we should address and try to understand why people think the way they do, and perhaps offer them some insight into a different point of view, especially if their statements seem ignorant or appalling(sp?).

Very true Cali, very true. You know how it can get in here though...a person makes a questionable statement and then the intellectual police comes out in force and slice and dice, and dissect the statement in a way that could come off as belittlement.

Uh-oh I think I just stepped on a mine. bwahahahaaaaaa

people aren't commenting bc this convo is stale and trite...there are too many threads about this to rehash a whole new convo
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2007, 06:34:18 PM »

Very true Cali, very true. You know how it can get in here though...a person makes a questionable statement and then the intellectual police comes out in force and slice and dice, and dissect the statement in a way that could come off as belittlement.

people aren't commenting bc this convo is stale and trite...there are too many threads about this to rehash a whole new convo

henh..not everyone participates in every convo ever posted here nor cares too peruse the archives...  at any rate, I think it's a interesting topic and I wish it was stale and old but the truth of the matter is I encounter sh*t like this almost everyday of my life; so it actually stays fresh in my mind, but it still stinks.  

SMH @ the SMH'ders.  at least throw some fuel into it and see where the flames fan-may learn something new.  or? just remain silent, no need to express your discontent @ the topic with those of us who may be having this convo for the first time.  I think everyones been honest.  I appreciate it at least.  besides, quite a few folk have chimed in.  Some with more interesting comments than others (looking at you SMH'ers).

personally, I think we all have preferences.  Cant help what gets the Jimmy up...its just kind of sad when you examine the "why fors" of the situation.  But who says you need to make those examinations?  if its not self destructive and/or harming others, why even go there?  just do what makes you happy. 
The Tragicomic: Itís embodied in the blues, jazz, (HIP HOP, CORNELL <<one slight deserves another!!!!<< REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THAT ONE!!!) and the African experience in the New World -- the ability to withstand terrorism, embrace oneís worst enemies lovingly and bear the unbearable in song.

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2007, 06:38:09 PM »
I didn't think that this thread would be too popular amongst the women of BLSD. 

Care to elaborate? I'm interested. ;)

I'm not sure what Pulchritudinous is implying with the landmine analogy but the woman on here tend to shake their heads at ignorant or blanketed statements and  several have occured in this thread.

Yes I would marry a mixed woman, as a matter of fact if I was in love I'd marry a woman totally outside of my race. Do I feel that there are plenty of deserving African-American women that I should look towards first to marry? Well in a way yes. I love my sisters and I know that sometimes it can be a little difficult for them to find a black man at or above their level, but I don't feel I'm obligated to do so because of that. I've experienced women from every major race and a few different nationalities, and while they were definitely interesting experiences, I definitely feel that special connection with my black sisters.

I thought this next one was flame, at first. ???

I'm as black as coal and I like them light skinned, no matter what race.

I'm black, but people think I'm mixed because I'm fair-skinned. I do have Indian in my family though, lol!!

When I see black men with women who aren't black, I don't have a problem with it, although my black girlfriends always seem to. I think it's silly. I remember getting looks and comments from black men when I dated the white guys too.

Why? Why not dark skinned or brown skinned women. Ive met many darker sisters who look better than some lightskinned sisters. But i suppose you'd choose the lightskinned one because she is light right?

I'm afraid you're right. I would but not blindly. I wont jump on a chick just cos she's light skinned, she would still have to pass some basic tests. I would not pass up a brilliant dark skinned woman over a dumb light skinned chick, I just mean that in a situation where all things remain equal, I would opt for the light skinned one. No disrespect to my dark sistas, I still love and respect 'em, just would rather have a light skinned one with me. I have three sisters, one is lightskinned and the other two are beautiful dark skinned women but do I love one more than the other cos she's light skinned and the other is not? No. But on the romantic side, thats just what I'm attracted to. My mom's light skinned, some folks say that's got something to do with it, I dont believe 'em. For some reason I just like 'em better.

From here, I SMH and digress.

Oh well. My statements were neither ignorant nor blanketed, as I was speaking from my own personal experience. If anything, the reactions from people I described in my posts were what I would shake my head at.

Interesting subject matter though. I like the outspoken nature of some of the posts, though I do not agree with everything said.

I agree

and mine was merely a question. I wanted to see if he had the same mentality as some people on this other message board i'm on. Because sure enough, no matter how pretty the darker sista is, they will choose the lighter sista, even if the darker one is pretty, based soley on her being lightskinned. I really think its sad. House negroes and field negroes. We need to get over that seriously. Not saying i dont have my preferences in men, but i would never exclude one over the other because of skin tone. I just dont work that way

Black as coal. Lol. I think he has some insecurities within himself for even beginning the sentence with that

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2007, 06:40:56 PM »

henh..not everyone participates in every convo ever posted here nor cares too peruse the archives...  at any rate, I think it's a interesting topic and I wish it was stale and old but the truth of the matter is I encounter sh*t like this almost everyday of my life; so it actually stays fresh in my mind, but it still stinks.  

SMH @ the SMH'ders.  at least throw some fuel into it and see where the flames fan-may learn something new.  or? just remain silent, no need to express your discontent @ the topic with those of us who may be having this convo for the first time.  I think everyones been honest.  I appreciate it at least.  besides, quite a few folk have chimed in.  Some with more interesting comments than others (looking at you SMH'ers).

personally, I think we all have preferences.  Cant help what gets the Jimmy up...its just kind of sad when you examine the "why fors" of the situation.  But who says you need to make those examinations?  if its not self destructive and/or harming others, why even go there?  just do what makes you happy. 

Agree

Im pretty new to the board, so i had no idea that this topic was a beaten horse

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2007, 06:47:47 PM »

henh..not everyone participates in every convo ever posted here nor cares too peruse the archives...  at any rate, I think it's a interesting topic and I wish it was stale and old but the truth of the matter is I encounter sh*t like this almost everyday of my life; so it actually stays fresh in my mind, but it still stinks.  

Agree

Im pretty new to the board, so i had no idea that this topic was a beaten horse

Me too, I'm a newbie over in this neck of the woods. :)  Yeah, skin color divides us in our own community, and now on BLSD. So sad.

Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

Pulchritudinous Male

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2007, 06:48:48 PM »
No doubt Blk_reign we do have a long way to go. Then again we have some very very unique issues to deal with.

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2007, 06:51:22 PM »

lol, I had no idea.

I have been drawn more and more to BLSD for the opposite reason though, I feel the camraderie and "love" on this board more than on the rest of LSD...
Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

LadyKD

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2007, 06:57:54 PM »
AWWWW the paper bag test lives ::) :-[

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2007, 06:58:17 PM »
that's one perception cali... most of us are cool on the board with one another.. some of us have met outside of the board.. some attend the same schools... but we all have our opinions and can be outspoken.. some people can't "deal with it"...other's can... at the end of the day though.. it's all love..

lol, I had no idea.

I have been drawn more and more to BLSD for the opposite reason though, I feel the camraderie and "love" on this board more than on the rest of LSD...