Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BLACK LOVE  (Read 17967 times)

lawnordertime

• View Profile
BLACK LOVE
« on: July 22, 2007, 05:35:06 PM »
I am new here, but I thought I'd start off something that could be controversial:

How do black men feel about dating women that are mixed? Would you marry a mixed girl?

How do black women feel about it?

Assume the mixed girl grew up in an all white neighborhood, mostly white friends, but is still aware of her black heritage.

Pulchritudinous Male

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: BLACK LOVE
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 06:34:25 PM »
It's funny how mixed automatically defaults to Black and White mixed. Anyway,and I speak solely for myself here, I don't think there's anything controversial about dating a "mixed" woman.

Yes I would marry a mixed woman, as a matter of fact if I was in love I'd marry a woman totally outside of my race. Do I feel that there are plenty of deserving African-American women that I should look towards first to marry? Well in a way yes. I love my sisters and I know that sometimes it can be a little difficult for them to find a black man at or above their level, but I don't feel I'm obligated to do so because of that. I've experienced women from every major race and a few different nationalities, and while they were definitely interesting experiences, I definitely feel that special connection with my black sisters.

SOMETIMES from my experience mixed women had a slight identity crisis, but from the ones I knew like that it wasn't a major hang-up. As far as growing  up with white friends that's no problem. I dated one like that back in the days...she is the one who introduced me to Toby Keith and country music in general. Mind you I was born and raised in Brooklyn during the early hip-hop era.

Cliff Notes Version: It really doesn't matter if she is mixed, even if she grew up in an all-white community. Basically it's about how you get along with the person that is they key issue. If she has major identity crisis issues it could be a slight hang-up, but if your understanding and patient you may be able to help her through it.

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 08:59:45 AM »
I'm mixed. I grew up with the black side of my family in a mostly white area. I have, for the most part, always dated outside of my races. My husband though is white. At some degree, I think it bothers my family that I chose a white guy instead of a black guy even though they wont admit it- but I was raised in an environment where I was supposed to think that race didn't matter and it doesn't. My son is Mexican, my husband is white and chances are the children I have with him will look completely white (which bothers me a little). You can't help who you fall in love with though.
UMiami c/o 2010

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 05:04:36 PM »
I prefer mixed girls..they are the bangendest. FLAME ON
The Tragicomic: Itís embodied in the blues, jazz, (HIP HOP, CORNELL <<one slight deserves another!!!!<< REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THAT ONE!!!) and the African experience in the New World -- the ability to withstand terrorism, embrace oneís worst enemies lovingly and bear the unbearable in song.

hushpuppy

• That I may be free. I love you Jo'burg.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 05:07:54 PM »
I'm as black as coal and I like them light skinned, no matter what race.
GWU 2010 except Vandy calls

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 05:48:19 PM »
I'm black, but people think I'm mixed because I'm fair-skinned. I do have Indian in my family though, lol!!

I don't have a skin color or racial preference, I've dated blond/blue-eyed white boys and dark chocolate men, so I don't discriminate. My husband is West Indian and German, and people think he's Puerto Rican, but for some reason I knew he was a brotha when I met him. Our children are all colors of the rainbow too. Black people are too hung up on skin color though.... My first child is darker than my husband and me and my other two are whiter than us. One is a total blonde. I always get asked (by black folk) if my children all have the same father because of all the different skin/hair colors. I find it annoying.

When I see black men with women who aren't black, I don't have a problem with it, although my black girlfriends always seem to. I think it's silly. I remember getting looks and comments from black men when I dated the white guys too.

They would say things like "Oh, you got somethin against brothas?" lol. Duh, all they had to do was ask me out! ;)

Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 06:59:10 PM »

a mother in law told her son in law, after he broke up with her daughter: "she told me yall had broken up this the first thing I said, I told her, 'now i guess i wont be havin no more pretty grandbabies...'"   
The Tragicomic: Itís embodied in the blues, jazz, (HIP HOP, CORNELL <<one slight deserves another!!!!<< REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THAT ONE!!!) and the African experience in the New World -- the ability to withstand terrorism, embrace oneís worst enemies lovingly and bear the unbearable in song.

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 07:11:25 PM »

a mother in law told her son in law, after he broke up with her daughter: "she told me yall had broken up this the first thing I said, I told her, 'now i guess i wont be havin no more pretty grandbabies...'"   

Funny! I have a couple of girlfriends (both dark skinned) with biracial husbands who married them because they wanted their babies to have light skin and "good" hair. I couldn't believe it but they were serious... ::)

What happened to marrying for love??
Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 08:27:24 PM »

Funny! I have a couple of girlfriends (both dark skinned) with biracial husbands who married them because they wanted their babies to have light skin and "good" hair. I couldn't believe it but they were serious... ::)

He felt used. But wondered what pains she may have felt, in her life, to say something like that.

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 08:39:50 PM »

Black people have that bad

I want my child to come out lightskinned with pretty eyes. Dayum shame

I could care less what lightskinned and light eyes on my child. A child is a blessing of God and i know my baby will be beautiful no matter what