Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Best 4th tier school  (Read 6753 times)

ffej

• View Profile
    • Email
The Best 4th tier school
« on: July 22, 2007, 04:41:41 PM »
If you had to pick the best 4th tier school, what would it be?
P.S. Who made U.S. News the authority on law school rankings and why does everyone accept it as scripture?

beattyot

• Liberator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Best 4th tier school
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 05:54:03 PM »
Is Valpo T3 or t4?

John Marshall?

Tommy Cooley that decadent bastard.

If your spanish skills are par you can attend the puerto rico law schools for the cost of a well packaged bicycle. If you don't fancy that gloriousness then what about Western New England, New England, and other drunken sailors of the fourth tier?

I empathize with my 150 LSAT I have been hitting on the dirty hoochies of the 4th tier but shall be re-taking LSAT in September to hopefully befriend more classier broads of 3rd or so tiers....

This probably did not help at all but felt good all the same.
Zoltar.
Anything worth anything necessitates a struggle. -F. Douglass

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 06:31:21 PM »
Who made U.S. News the authority on law school rankings?

The job market.

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 06:55:30 PM »
it's an infuriating mix of self-fullfilling prophecy and your inability to do well on the LSAT.  you can only control one.  life is not fair.

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 07:32:16 PM »
P.S. Who made U.S. News the authority on law school rankings and why does everyone accept it as scripture?

Maybe with some exceptions, the best 4th tier law school is likely the one in the area you wish to practice after law school.

Also, while the US News ranking is probably given too much attention, everyone regarding it as 'scripture' is quite an exaggeration.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 08:55:44 PM »

U.S. News, while imperfect, tends to reflect actual reputation and placement in the profession, which is why students take it seriously. 

The "best" 4th tier school will be the one that is most respected in your desired region of the country.  No 4th tier school is national, so figure out where you want to work, and then decide which 4th-tier school is most respected in that area.  Some 4th tier schools are relative jokes, while others are genuinely respected locally.

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 09:47:26 PM »
Being from Houston, and having heard a lot about it's local reputation, I'd say South Texas is a viable 4th tier option.  It is the second-best school in the the 4th largest city in the country.  It has a very solid local reputation, and places students at the big Houston firms with regularity.  Lindbergh is correct, no T4 is going to have a solid National reputation, but South Texas is definitely one of the schools that he is talking about with genuine local respect.
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 10:24:09 PM »
SRSLY though, the schools in PR have a deflated ranking because they ignore the LSAT and only require it to appease the ABA.
VIP.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 09:39:30 AM »
SRSLY though, the schools in PR have a deflated ranking because they ignore the LSAT and only require it to appease the ABA.

Presumably b/c everyone speaks spanish there?

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 10:41:32 AM »
Burn!  ;D
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill