Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who needs Harvard?  (Read 1089 times)

ithappensforareason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Who needs Harvard?
« on: July 22, 2007, 12:39:43 AM »

For those in interested in Big law jobs, not attending T14.

http://www.abanet.org/journal/redesign/07as.html

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Who needs Harvard?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 12:47:07 AM »
All this says is that you have to know people and target a regional market.

ithappensforareason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 12:59:44 AM »
All this says is that you have to know people and target a regional market.

Exactly.

BUT.

That for those who are interested in BIG LAW, not attending t14, they can still pull it off. That was the point.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 01:03:38 AM »
Keeping in mind that the people mentioned who got into biglaw jobs from non-t14 schools were in the top 10% of their law school classes and/or on Law Review.
Yale.Law.School.2010

Leo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 03:08:25 AM »
I really don't get the fascination with biglaw. I seems like a life of pain that isn't really worthe the money

TeresaPinfold

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 03:31:04 AM »
It seems like only about 3% make Big Law from schools in Marquette's range, but it may be self-selecting to some degree, and of course for any one student, it should be easier to get high grades at a lower school.
Page 44: http://www.nalpfoundation.org/webmodules/articles/articlefiles/87-After_JD_2004_web.pdf

And I am with Leo, in that such a painful grind seems no great prize, not something I'd take even given the chance.

mikey22

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 10:10:15 AM »
yeah as a 0l who has spoken with many attorneys, if you can make the top ten percent at a tier 2 or even tier 3 school you are going to have a lot of opportunities. you should take biglaw if you can get it. not only does it pay well, but it provides you with invaluable experience and looks great on a resume. it would be to a lot of people's benefit to stick it out for a few years. thanks for the article. it talks about how associates are in demand, is that just for biglaw?
CWRU '10

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 10:39:50 AM »
Who needs Harvard? Apu does.

quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 12:06:17 PM »
It seems like only about 3% make Big Law from schools in Marquette's range, but it may be self-selecting to some degree, and of course for any one student, it should be easier to get high grades at a lower school.
Page 44: http://www.nalpfoundation.org/webmodules/articles/articlefiles/87-After_JD_2004_web.pdf

And I am with Leo, in that such a painful grind seems no great prize, not something I'd take even given the chance.

Page 50 seems much more interesting actually.  It lists the satisfaction levels, and though the chart seems a little cryptic at first, it shows pretty clearly how dissatisfied biglaw lawyers are compared to other lawyers.  While solo practitioners had the highest satisfaction levels, government lawyers weren't too far behind, while biglaw lawyers were at the bottom.

The only area where biglaw seemed to give high satisfaction was, not surprisingly, in the area of compensation/advancement opportunities (the two were put in one metric, so I imagine that most of the satisfaction comes from the compensation, not so much from opportunities for advancement since it's so difficult to make partner at biglaw).
Yale.Law.School.2010