Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT Bonus for foreign students????  (Read 962 times)

Georgetown 1st Choice

• View Profile
LSAT Bonus for foreign students????
« on: March 11, 2004, 09:39:02 AM »
?

hamartia

• View Profile
Re: LSAT Bonus for foreign students????
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 08:44:15 PM »
what do you mean by a "foreign student"?
a foreign student in a US college, a foreign student in a foreign school
,or both?

dta

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 09:52:41 PM »
hmmm ... it would seem to me self contradictory if additional points are awarded to foreign ESL students. The authors of the LSAT believe it to be an indicator of first year ability at ABA approved US and Canadian law schools. For better or worse, these US and Canadian law schools teach their law classes in english. Therefore, any difficulties faced by non-native english speakers when taking the LSAT would also be faced by these non-native english speakers in their first year of law school. Since the LSAT is supposed to be an indicator of first year ability in law school any handicaps exposed by a poor score on the LSAT are legitimate (e.g. inability to reason, inability comprehend what one reads, inability to understand the language in which the actual law school classes will be taught, etc.).

I'm not saying that the LSAT actually IS a good indicator of first year performance. I really am ambivalent on that point. But if one accepts that it is a good indicator I think any deficiencies one might have which prevent good performance on the LSAT are deficiencies that would prevent good performance in the first year.

java

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 05:32:59 AM »
Here it is what a study conducted by an East Coast prestigious law school found:

American 160
British 157-158 (it's an American test, so there is a cultural gap beyond language)
Indian  157-158
Scandinavian/Dutch 156-157
German 155-156
French 154
Latin-American 152-154
Spanish/Italian 152
Indonesian 149

Law schools will randomly adjust foreign students' scores by 2-3 points, but they will be reluctant to make adjustments by more than 5 points.
California is no place for a good Italian boy!

johnnydavis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 09:34:00 AM »
I think it's more a question of whether or not English is your first language.

Law schools will randomly adjust foreign students' scores by 2-3 points, but they will be reluctant to make adjustments by more than 5 points.

I can't remember the particular site, but I remember reading something similar.  The site also said that if an applicant's first language is not English, some schools will consider the age at which that particular applicant began learning English before they decide on a reasonable adjustment.