Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The 1L Summer  (Read 1390 times)

ferbear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
The 1L Summer
« on: July 21, 2007, 11:59:31 AM »
So, I know this is a bit forward-thinking of me, but I was recently offered a significant promotion at my place of employment for next summer, which will be after my 1L year. I had planned to seek typical 1L employment, but the pay will be significant -- $3000/wk over a 10-11 week period.

Given that I'm borrowing full cost at Gtown next year, the idea of earning that much money is tempting. I know I should probably just avoid the temptation of the easy money and find some law-related job that will pay at least some money, but -- any thoughts? Is 1L summer employment as important as it's cracked up to be?
'10

Dr. Miles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The 1L Summer
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 12:05:29 PM »
i would take the money. if you also want a law-related job, get some bs p/t research asst job that you can spend 5-10 hours a week on. you're supposed to do something law related, but in this case 1) the job will be more impressive, and 2) everyone will understand. you don't really learn anything from the 1L summer job.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 12:57:46 PM »
Yeah, I agree w/the doctor's diagnosis, except the fact that you don't really learn anything from the 1L summer--you learn stuff, but I don't think not having a firm job for 1L summer puts you too far behind the curve. 

When do you have to respond to this offer from your company?  If you can sit on it until next spring, you could see what kind of firm job you can land--in DC, there are a number close to or above what your company would pay you.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

ferbear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 03:57:29 PM »
Yeah, I agree w/the doctor's diagnosis, except the fact that you don't really learn anything from the 1L summer--you learn stuff, but I don't think not having a firm job for 1L summer puts you too far behind the curve. 

When do you have to respond to this offer from your company?  If you can sit on it until next spring, you could see what kind of firm job you can land--in DC, there are a number close to or above what your company would pay you.

Thanks for the thoughts. I actually will have to respond by about the end of August, so it's a tough call.

Maybe I should e-mail Gtown career services and ask...? Or does the prohibition on 1Ls and career services already apply to me?
'10

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 01:10:43 AM »
If you get a 1L gig at a big firm in DC the pay difference will be minimal......

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 09:38:05 AM »
i would take the money. if you also want a law-related job, get some bs p/t research asst job that you can spend 5-10 hours a week on. you're supposed to do something law related, but in this case 1) the job will be more impressive, and 2) everyone will understand. you don't really learn anything from the 1L summer job.

If you have no practical legal experience/knowledge by the time you are applying for 2L summer positions youll look like an idiot in comparison to the others.  Something to keep in mind, on top of the fact 1L jobs can garner 2L jobs either at the same firm or via connections.

I disagree.  The vast majority of folks don't get REAL 1L gigs anyway. Most folks are interning for a judge, working in public interest, or researching for a prof.

MOST 2L summer associates get their gigs b/c of grades, law review, and/or connections. Legal experience over that first summer helps, but it's not vital.  Besides, the OP could just work for a prof 10 hrs/wk or volunteer in PI law for a day a week.

CCH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 11:08:52 AM »
So, I know this is a bit forward-thinking of me, but I was recently offered a significant promotion at my place of employment for next summer, which will be after my 1L year. I had planned to seek typical 1L employment, but the pay will be significant -- $3000/wk over a 10-11 week period.

Given that I'm borrowing full cost at Gtown next year, the idea of earning that much money is tempting. I know I should probably just avoid the temptation of the easy money and find some law-related job that will pay at least some money, but -- any thoughts? Is 1L summer employment as important as it's cracked up to be?

I would take the job.... what will you be doing for $3,000/wk?

ferbear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 11:57:40 AM »

I would take the job.... what will you be doing for $3,000/wk?

Thanks for the input, everyone. Your thoughts mirror the ones floating in my head, haha.

The job is as site supervisor for summer programs at a yacht club. I could probably arrange for some evening or weekend work in PI. Bridgeport, CT ain't a tough place to find people in need of help with the law, I think.
'10

ferbear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 03:47:59 PM »
da bump
'10

JohnnyOnTheSpot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 03:58:58 PM »
I'd say take the job offer.

IF you find a 1L job worth burning bridges with the yacht club, then there you go.