Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Should Falwell start a law school?

Sure, it's freedom of expression.  Let him do it.
 6 (33.3%)
Hell no! We don't need fundamentalist lawyers!
 5 (27.8%)
I don't care
 7 (38.9%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Dean on Falwell's Law School  (Read 2512 times)

buster

Re: Dean on Falwell's Law School
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2004, 11:51:15 AM »
1. Which rabid liberal interest groups say that all Republicans are fascist pigs (or something comparable)?

2. Regardless of the opinions of reasonable people (of which I consider you one), Falwell is a conservative with a huge following. To me that makes him a prominent conservative.

3. I never said that there was not noxious rhetoric coming from both ends of the political spectrum. As a matter of fact, I said the opposite.

4. Don't tell me to step out of my own shoes. I read, I watch, I listen, I learn, I think, I make judgments for myself. You remind me that we may have different standards for what is noxious (that's fine, we probably do -- I probably have a higher threshhold in this regard) and then complain because I make my judgments based on my standards? bull. You're the one who reminds me time and time again about how much more well-informed I am than you are. I have no idea whether or not that is true, but I have a hard time thinking that you're somehow more open-minded than I am simply because you have not chosen to pay as much attention.

Yeah, we have been over this before, and I still don't agree with you.

Rabid liberal interest groups bother me.  Sorry.  Just like Falwell does.  There's no difference in my mind.

I don't know how you consider Falwell to be a "prominent" Conservative.  He's nothing more than an interest-groupie, and pretty much a joke to everyone but the religious right (the last time he made serious headlines, other than this law school which most consider a joke, is when he accused Tinky Winky of being gay.  Not exactly the most stellar, influential record.).  What about prominent people like Michael Moore on the left?  What about Soros?  I could go on.  There's pretty noxious rhetoric coming from all corners of the political spectrum.

And noxious depends on the perspective too.  The things you find noxious, I less so.  The things I find noxious, you less so.  You tend to forget this.  It's a basic fact though.  You've got to step outside your own shoes on occassion and recognize this as fact.

ZAP

I think you're general point regarding the tone of political debate is a fair one, and I agree that there are assholes on both sides of every debate. My point, not that it was particularly subtle, is that I think there's a difference between people like Falwell and people who may offend you in person on a day-to-day basis. (And, yes, I think there's much more noxious rhetoric from prominent people on the right than there is from prominent people on the left. I suppose we've been down that road before.)

How much power did the people on the left who said that to you wield?

It was one person.  She's actually a lobbyist for Nissan Corp.  She is pretty tight with the Lt. Gov's grandson, who will likely succeed him when he retires. 

So not so much power, but it's the principle of the thing.  And she IS on the political map.  She ought to know better.

ZAP

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2004, 12:04:07 PM »
I'm not going to respond to this.  I think you're getting yourself all worked up (again) over nothing.

No, scratch that, you're right.  As always. ::)

ZAP

1. Which rabid liberal interest groups say that all Republicans are fascist pigs (or something comparable)?

2. Regardless of the opinions of reasonable people (of which I consider you one), Falwell is a conservative with a huge following. To me that makes him a prominent conservative.

3. I never said that there was not noxious rhetoric coming from both ends of the political spectrum. As a matter of fact, I said the opposite.

4. Don't tell me to step out of my own shoes. I read, I watch, I listen, I learn, I think, I make judgments for myself. You remind me that we may have different standards for what is noxious (that's fine, we probably do -- I probably have a higher threshhold in this regard) and then complain because I make my judgments based on my standards? bull. You're the one who reminds me time and time again about how much more well-informed I am than you are. I have no idea whether or not that is true, but I have a hard time thinking that you're somehow more open-minded than I am simply because you have not chosen to pay as much attention.

Yeah, we have been over this before, and I still don't agree with you.

Rabid liberal interest groups bother me.  Sorry.  Just like Falwell does.  There's no difference in my mind.

I don't know how you consider Falwell to be a "prominent" Conservative.  He's nothing more than an interest-groupie, and pretty much a joke to everyone but the religious right (the last time he made serious headlines, other than this law school which most consider a joke, is when he accused Tinky Winky of being gay.  Not exactly the most stellar, influential record.).  What about prominent people like Michael Moore on the left?  What about Soros?  I could go on.  There's pretty noxious rhetoric coming from all corners of the political spectrum.

And noxious depends on the perspective too.  The things you find noxious, I less so.  The things I find noxious, you less so.  You tend to forget this.  It's a basic fact though.  You've got to step outside your own shoes on occassion and recognize this as fact.

ZAP

I think you're general point regarding the tone of political debate is a fair one, and I agree that there are assholes on both sides of every debate. My point, not that it was particularly subtle, is that I think there's a difference between people like Falwell and people who may offend you in person on a day-to-day basis. (And, yes, I think there's much more noxious rhetoric from prominent people on the right than there is from prominent people on the left. I suppose we've been down that road before.)

How much power did the people on the left who said that to you wield?

It was one person.  She's actually a lobbyist for Nissan Corp.  She is pretty tight with the Lt. Gov's grandson, who will likely succeed him when he retires. 

So not so much power, but it's the principle of the thing.  And she IS on the political map.  She ought to know better.

ZAP

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2004, 12:21:18 PM »
Just one quick question on the informed thing though.  You obviously spend a large amount of time on the internet.  I do too, but aside from this site I just check CNN.com and Drudgereport.com once a day, check the headlines, and check my email.  Aside from that, in terms of my media exposure, (other than the debates and Buffy and Angel) I watch no television and rarely watch movies.  I don't read the newspaper, except for scanning the headlines of the local one to see what's going on in my neighborhood.  I don't spend my free time researching what may or may not be true on the national political level; I'm lucky if I get past the headlines. 

I'd rather spend my time on other things; like understanding differing viewpoints, and understanding why people believe what they believe and think what they do.  Right now I'm engaging in a study of the Quran, and taking notes as I go.  I just finished Sissela Bok's "Lying" which explored the ethical dimensions of deception... before that I read Paine's "Rights of Man" and Nietzsche's "The Antichrist" and "Thus spoke Zarathustra".  That's where my free time goes, along with songwriting.  If we're talking philosophy or viewpoint, political or otherwise, I just might be your man.  But I have neither the time nor the patience for an overload of current events.  They bore me.  I'm more interested in abstract concepts.

Can I assume you read the daily paper, political journals, and watch daily newscasts?  Cause I don't do any of those things.

Just so we understand where each other stand.

ZAP 

buster

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2004, 12:24:49 PM »
The only time I get worked up is when you start telling me how I need to change.  >:(

I'm not going to respond to this.  I think you're getting yourself all worked up (again) over nothing.

No, scratch that, you're right.  As always. ::)

ZAP

buster

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2004, 12:27:18 PM »
I don't necessarily do all the specific things you mentioned every day, but yes, I meant well-informed regarding current events.

Just one quick question on the informed thing though.  You obviously spend a large amount of time on the internet.  I do too, but aside from this site I just check CNN.com and Drudgereport.com once a day, check the headlines, and check my email.  Aside from that, in terms of my media exposure, (other than the debates and Buffy and Angel) I watch no television and rarely watch movies.  I don't read the newspaper, except for scanning the headlines of the local one to see what's going on in my neighborhood.  I don't spend my free time researching what may or may not be true on the national political level; I'm lucky if I get past the headlines. 

I'd rather spend my time on other things; like understanding differing viewpoints, and understanding why people believe what they believe and think what they do.  Right now I'm engaging in a study of the Quran, and taking notes as I go.  I just finished Sissela Bok's "Lying" which explored the ethical dimensions of deception... before that I read Paine's "Rights of Man" and Nietzsche's "The Antichrist" and "Thus spoke Zarathustra".  That's where my free time goes, along with songwriting.  If we're talking philosophy or viewpoint, political or otherwise, I just might be your man.  But I have neither the time nor the patience for an overload of current events.  They bore me.  I'm more interested in abstract concepts.

Can I assume you read the daily paper, political journals, and watch daily newscasts?  Cause I don't do any of those things.

Just so we understand where each other stand.

ZAP 

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2004, 12:57:23 PM »
Edit.

I have more to say about why I suggested you approach things a little differently, but you might overreact, so I'll hold back.  If you feel you have to hear it, I'll post what I had posted here before, but if not, no skin off my back. 

ZAP

buster

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2004, 03:51:10 PM »
We seem to be at each other's throats a bit today. I will calmly listen to whatever you have to say as long as you agree to give fair consideration to my response. Feel free to PM me if you would prefer.

I don't "have to hear it," but be assured that I can, despite what I imagine to be your impression of me  (:'(), take criticism.

Edit.

I have more to say about why I suggested you approach things a little differently, but you might overreact, so I'll hold back.  If you feel you have to hear it, I'll post what I had posted here before, but if not, no skin off my back. 

ZAP

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2004, 04:12:20 PM »
Nah, I'll hold back and spare you.  I've thought better of it.  I mean, I may still feel a certain way, but you don't need to hear it.  You probably know of your own personality flaws better than I could ever tell you... I'm doing well enough just trying to attend to my own, you don't need my guidance. :)

ZAP

We seem to be at each other's throats a bit today. I will calmly listen to whatever you have to say as long as you agree to give fair consideration to my response. Feel free to PM me if you would prefer.

I don't "have to hear it," but be assured that I can, despite what I imagine to be your impression of me  (:'(), take criticism.

Edit.

ZAP

buster

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2004, 04:13:55 PM »
I have no personality flaws.  ;)

Nah, I'll hold back and spare you.  I've thought better of it.  I mean, I may still feel a certain way, but you don't need to hear it.  You probably know of your own personality flaws better than I could ever tell you... I'm doing well enough just trying to attend to my own, you don't need my guidance. :)