Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Should Falwell start a law school?

Sure, it's freedom of expression.  Let him do it.
 6 (33.3%)
Hell no! We don't need fundamentalist lawyers!
 5 (27.8%)
I don't care
 7 (38.9%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Dean on Falwell's Law School  (Read 2597 times)

lucky7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Dean on Falwell's Law School
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 12:51:02 PM »
I say that he should be free to open one... but i must say that it scares the hell out of me

Fallwell has always scared the crap outta me. and I'm a registered Republican, so I can only imagine how much he scares everyone else

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 01:12:29 PM »
I say that he should be free to open one... but i must say that it scares the hell out of me

Fallwell has always scared the crap outta me. and I'm a registered Republican, so I can only imagine how much he scares everyone else

I think people like Falwell might (gasp!  I'm about to say the unthinkable) have good intentions, but they're out of touch with reality.  Both on the right AND the left.  I mean, I respect someone who stands up for their (unpopular) beliefs and even tries to get involved with politics out of that conviction.  But on the far right and far left, I just kind of cringe.

Then again, for me Falwell and the "I don't like Republicans" crowd are equally distasteful.  Maybe I'm alone, but that's the way I feel.

ZAP

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2004, 01:14:55 PM »
I might add to this that I've had people say to my face, knowing I swing Republican, that all Republicans are fascist pigs.  So ignorance thrives both on the right AND the left.  I just like to remind people around here of that, because it's so easy to hate on the wacko fundamentalists.  And it's easy to forget that wacko liberals are just reverse fundamentalists, and they're just as radical about their beliefs.  All of them scare me, and occassionally offend me.

ZAP

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2004, 01:16:59 PM »
I don't see why you guys are scared of falwell.

he's just an angry old wacko.

lucky7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2004, 01:17:55 PM »
 I don't doubt that he really does believe he is doing the right thing. And yes, people who are extreme, on both sides, scare me. There are people at both ends who seem out of touch with reality, in their own ways

lucky7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2004, 01:20:34 PM »
I don't see why you guys are scared of falwell.

he's just an angry old wacko.

What scares me isn't one angry old wacko. Its the idea that there are more wackos out there.... and they don't all wear little tin foil hats or hand out pamphets about the evils of (insert random corporation or government organization here)

buster

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2004, 08:32:41 AM »
How much power did the people on the left who said that to you wield?

I might add to this that I've had people say to my face, knowing I swing Republican, that all Republicans are fascist pigs.  So ignorance thrives both on the right AND the left.  I just like to remind people around here of that, because it's so easy to hate on the wacko fundamentalists.  And it's easy to forget that wacko liberals are just reverse fundamentalists, and they're just as radical about their beliefs.  All of them scare me, and occassionally offend me.

ZAP

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2004, 10:53:37 AM »

It was one person.  She's actually a lobbyist for Nissan Corp.  She is pretty tight with the Lt. Gov's grandson, who will likely succeed him when he retires. 

So not so much power, but it's the principle of the thing.  And she IS on the political map.  She ought to know better.

ZAP

buster

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2004, 11:08:12 AM »
I think you're general point regarding the tone of political debate is a fair one, and I agree that there are assholes on both sides of every debate. My point, not that it was particularly subtle, is that I think there's a difference between people like Falwell and people who may offend you in person on a day-to-day basis. (And, yes, I think there's much more noxious rhetoric from prominent people on the right than there is from prominent people on the left. I suppose we've been down that road before.)

It was one person.  She's actually a lobbyist for Nissan Corp.  She is pretty tight with the Lt. Gov's grandson, who will likely succeed him when he retires. 

So not so much power, but it's the principle of the thing.  And she IS on the political map.  She ought to know better.

ZAP

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2004, 11:29:45 AM »
Yeah, we have been over this before, and I still don't agree with you.

Rabid liberal interest groups bother me.  Sorry.  Just like Falwell does.  There's no difference in my mind.

I don't know how you consider Falwell to be a "prominent" Conservative.  He's nothing more than an interest-groupie, and pretty much a joke to everyone but the religious right (the last time he made serious headlines, other than this law school which most consider a joke, is when he accused Tinky Winky of being gay.  Not exactly the most stellar, influential record.).  What about prominent people like Michael Moore on the left?  What about Soros?  I could go on.  There's pretty noxious rhetoric coming from all corners of the political spectrum.

And noxious depends on the perspective too.  The things you find noxious, I less so.  The things I find noxious, you less so.  You tend to forget this.  It's a basic fact though.  You've got to step outside your own shoes on occassion and recognize this as fact.

ZAP

I think you're general point regarding the tone of political debate is a fair one, and I agree that there are assholes on both sides of every debate. My point, not that it was particularly subtle, is that I think there's a difference between people like Falwell and people who may offend you in person on a day-to-day basis. (And, yes, I think there's much more noxious rhetoric from prominent people on the right than there is from prominent people on the left. I suppose we've been down that road before.)

ZAP