Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Important question on the funding schedule.  (Read 1205 times)

dac

• View Profile
    • Relationship-Buddy
    • Email
Important question on the funding schedule.
« on: July 20, 2007, 01:11:18 PM »
Concerning the financial timeline for law school, when does a student receive his loan funds? (What is the schedule?)

For example, say Joe is moving across the country to law school. If Joe moves a month before class begins, through what means would he be expected to fund the expensive moving process/month‘s rent? Credit Cards? Old summer job income? Or will the loan have been received by then?

Thanks

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Important question on the funding schedule.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 01:13:59 PM »
I rec'd my disbursement the Friday before the first day (Monday) if school. Most schools do the same.  Contact your school's FA office to confirm.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 01:21:35 PM »
Concerning the financial timeline for law school, when does a student receive his loan funds? (What is the schedule?)

For example, say Joe is moving across the country to law school. If Joe moves a month before class begins, through what means would he be expected to fund the expensive moving process/month‘s rent? Credit Cards? Old summer job income? Or will the loan have been received by then?

Thanks

Most schools expect you to have "seed money."  There may be exceptions, but I would think they would expect you to have enough money to move and get settled on your own.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

LBJFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 02:51:57 PM »
Yeah, you usually receive money around the first week of school (as long as all paperwork is done and everything has dispersed).

Not to sound callous but they don't really concern themselves with how you're going to get there. Thats your responsibility. They may be willing to give you an advance (my school did this, even though I hadn't started yet) but, that will probably leave you short for the semester because your semester budget was not meant to cover those types of expenses.

dac

• View Profile
    • Relationship-Buddy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 07:02:40 PM »
Thanks for the answers.

Cheers