Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Possible Consquences about lying that you are a URM?  (Read 28075 times)

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Consquences about lying that you are a URM?
« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2007, 12:53:50 AM »
OP

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,27879.0.html

im cursed- i have european american blood through and through, greek, and even though i am first generation here i get no special treatment like a black kid whose family has been here for 4 generations. pretty shitttty if you ask me. it all comes down to skin color i dont care what anyone else says. and its all total bull shite, racist and bigotry.

You are Greek-American. Greek is a national, not racial, category. Greeks are Caucasian/White. Your racial group, Caucasian/White, is over-represented in law school.

Cursed? Please explain why you are entitled to special treatment when your race dominates the law school population and the legal profession?

The problem is that these various categories of "race" and "nationality" are all largely arbitrary.  You really think mediterraneans suffered no discrimination in our history?  That greeks as a nationality are overrepresented in law school?  That non-jewish whites are overrepresented in law school? 

How about arabs, who are technically caucasian/white as well?  Guess they never suffer any discrimiation.

Your post highlights the fundamentally fuzzy thinking and faulty assumptions underlying AA today. 

Say Yes

• Won't you come see me, Queen Jane?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 12, 2008, 04:00:33 PM »
bump.  very curious about this.  has anyone here sat for a character and fitness exam?  if it truly is self identification, then the bar has no way to say you lied right?  i read over on TLS that only somehting like .002% of applicants are denied.  one anecdote says that a former cop who covered up a murder was denied, but also encouraged to re-apply in a few years.  surely self-identifying with a race that might not be your nationality isn't going to keep you from being admitted to the bar?
With great lawyers you have
Discussed lepers and crooks
You've been through all of
F. Scott Fitzgerald's books

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 12, 2008, 06:37:11 PM »
I responded on the other thread.  I recently saw that Georgia only rejected something like 50 applicants in the history of c & f.  So yes, virtually everyone passes.  I think the only way you would fail that is if you embezzled money b/c of the trust account concerns.

I seriously doubt lying about URM status would come to light in C & F.  The only way I could see is if they compared college applications (which to my knowledge they don't).

How can you even prove one is or isn't a URM?  What constitutes minority? 1/2? 1/4? 1/128?  There are some serious proof problems here.

bt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: August 12, 2008, 07:03:25 PM »
Something that should be kept in mind if it hasn't been mentioned is that it could be bad if you suddenly switch (I assume).  I can certainly pass for Native American due to my olive skin but I have always identified as white despite the fact that I may (and probably am) 1/8th NA.  Since I have identified as white on my college apps and now on the LSAT when I took it, it would probably do more harm than good if I suddenly took advantage of my possible URM status.

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 12, 2008, 08:54:38 PM »
That's what the entire argument for the last few posts have been.  I never indicated race to my college, and doubt most include it on the transcript.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago