Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Possible Consquences about lying that you are a URM?  (Read 29110 times)

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Possible Consquences about lying that you are a URM?
« Reply #140 on: August 11, 2007, 05:42:06 AM »
I guess I just do not understand how difficult it would be for the Bar Association to compare your college application to your law school application.  If you were white in college but hispanic in law school, you'd have some problems.

They wouldn't have ones college app, they'd have their transcripts, which do not list race.

Many institutions collect race data but do not disseminate it, as they'll tell you, it's collected for statistical reporting only, and in many cases, is not even tied to the applicant.

Again, I just looked at my high school and college transcripts and both list my race and the race of my parents. Does that information not become apart of your official law school record? And is that record not used as the starting point for your BAR app?

Your college transcripts state the race of your parents?  I find that very hard to believe.
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2007, 01:26:51 PM »
I guess I just do not understand how difficult it would be for the Bar Association to compare your college application to your law school application.  If you were white in college but hispanic in law school, you'd have some problems.

They wouldn't have ones college app, they'd have their transcripts, which do not list race.

Many institutions collect race data but do not disseminate it, as they'll tell you, it's collected for statistical reporting only, and in many cases, is not even tied to the applicant.

Again, I just looked at my high school and college transcripts and both list my race and the race of my parents. Does that information not become apart of your official law school record? And is that record not used as the starting point for your BAR app?

Your college transcripts state the race of your parents?  I find that very hard to believe.

That what I thought, but I decided to not call him a liar directly and simply say that mine doesn't.  But isn't that the great thing about the internet?  You can make up supporting arguments.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

Slim

• Sr. Citizen
  • ummm hmmm.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: August 11, 2007, 02:14:34 PM »

That what I thought, but I decided to not call him a liar directly and simply say that mine doesn't.  But isn't that the great thing about the internet?  You can make up supporting arguments.
What?! Wait! Everything on here isn't the truth?!? WTF  ???  ;)
Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day. - Thomas Jefferson.

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: August 11, 2007, 04:04:44 PM »

My hs records state the race of my parents. My college transcripts, however, include my high school demographic information and list my race. So, again, unless one starts the lie four years out from law school, or ten plus years for those of us who are older, than an abrupt change in race between freshman year and 1L would be kind of absurd.
I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 11, 2007, 05:35:55 PM »
Good for you.  Even if that is true, and I'm still skeptical (read:you're a liar) my college never asked my race, and if my high school had it, they didn't record it anywhere.

And you're still assuming bar examiners look at this kind of thing.  Until you, or ANYONE can provide an example of anything happening, it's all just conjecture, hyperbole, or lies.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: August 11, 2007, 08:11:09 PM »
I, too, would like to see a scanned copy of that transcript.

Using Photobucket, I have scanned and uploaded a copy of my transcript from 2005.  I have deleted some of the identifying info, such as SS#, DOB, my last name, my high school, and my address.  No mention of race anywhere.

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x285/sc3pt0r/?action=view&current=Trans1.jpg

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x285/sc3pt0r/?action=view&current=Trans2.jpg

BTW.........we aren't talking about grades here f*ckers... :D
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: August 12, 2007, 12:06:39 AM »
 :D

White man's burden, my boy.  White man's burden.

(BTW, the aforementioned "boy", was not in reference to any black males.)

Also, changing subject a bit, why is socially correct for me to be referred to as "the white boy"?  (I attended a historically black college for undergrad.)  Is it then ok for the lone black kid to be referred to as "the black boy"?

Oh, I forgot.  South Park already addressed that.  His name was Token Black.

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 12, 2007, 12:13:56 AM »

Hopefully this will shut all you naysayers up. I marked out all the personal information .

http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z248/sstar_bucket/?action=view&current=transcript.jpg

:D ;D

:'( I guess I stand corrected  ;) , or simply correct.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 12, 2007, 12:22:44 AM »
Also, changing subject a bit, why is socially correct for me to be referred to as "the white boy"?  (I attended a historically black college for undergrad.)  Is it then ok for the lone black kid to be referred to as "the black boy"?

Oh, I forgot.  South Park already addressed that.  His name was Token Black.

I feel stupid, I never got that.  Though, thinking back, I don't believe I've seen the episode introducing him or even heard his last name.  Is it really black?

But I did love "here comes the neighborhood."

Token: Mom? Dad? Why do we have a bigger house than everybody else in South Park?
Bob: Well, because we have more money, son.
Token: I know. But why?
Bob: ...W-well, because we went to graduate school and therefore have more lucrative jobs than most people in town. For instance, your mother is a chemist for a pharmaceutical company, whereas your friend Eric Cartman's mother is a crack whore. One pays more than the other.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 12, 2007, 12:48:48 AM »
im cursed- i have european american blood through and through, greek, and even though i am first generation here i get no special treatment like a black kid whose family has been here for 4 generations.  pretty shitttty if you ask me.  it all comes down to skin color i dont care what anyone else says.  and its all total bull shite, racist and bigotry.

please comment on how your white skin or European-American heritage has disadvantaged you. preferably speak on what deep seated prejudices you have encountered heretofore.

I think his point is that AA itself is discriminatory and arguably racist.