Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Possible Consquences about lying that you are a URM?  (Read 27605 times)

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Possible Consquences about lying that you are a URM?
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2007, 10:41:33 PM »
Grad studies in musicology?  Are you studying Prince?  LAME! :P

Does BU have a better lacrosse team than Duke?  EXTRA LAME!  :P
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2007, 11:12:02 PM »
Well, my football team hasn't one in about a decade....at least we are consistent!  :P
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

TheJudge

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2007, 06:53:54 PM »
Check the box.

Enjoy your free 8 lsat points, you lucky bastid!

HtownsFinest

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2007, 01:32:43 AM »
sc3pt0r is the voice of reason in this thread, and I admire his story and viewpoints.

Saradsun, I don't think you understood cjrosina's point on the previous page.

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2007, 02:09:35 AM »
Htownsfinest, thank you for the kind words.  Now if everyone else would admire my viewpoints, I might get elected President!

It is quite pleasing to me that a discussion board like this exists.  Too often discussion boards are bogged down by people making ridiculous comments, and the discussion tend to evolve into basic name-calling.  Contrastingly, our discussions tend to be civilized, and even though I win all the arguments, the insight gained from these discussions is quite valuable.

In a few years, most of us are going to be lawyers.  We are going to have an immense influence on lives.  We should not take these societal burdens lightly.  These discussion boards are a way to express our different viewpoints, and to gain more information about the burdens we will shoulder.

The issues regarding education have always been intriguing to me.  Intertwined with the issue of AA, a particularly fertile ground for disagreement arises.

I have tried brainstorming the issue, and suggesting alternatives to the application process, that might provide for a legitimately fairer system for the disadvantages, based more on class than on race.  I understand that for the black race, there tends to be a very high correlation between race and disadvantage.  I also understand that this is truly an issue that can be overcome with hard-work.  Hard-work is a quality that is first instilled by parents.  This quality is then heavily influenced by societal pressures when you begin your venture into society.  Parents need to provide a solid foundation for this quality, but we as a society need to ensure that this foundation is not destroyed by the other members of society.

Given our education levels, everyone on this board has the responsibility to every child in America to ensure that we will protect that foundation.  Let's advance our society.

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2007, 11:09:06 AM »
Saradsun, I don't think you understood cjrosina's point on the previous page.

I understood the point. I just disagree that things are now "equal" once an URM gets into a good university.

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2007, 01:17:42 PM »
Cjrosina, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I've often said that there is less room for error for poor kids.  If we get caught with drugs, we lose financial aid, and subsequently, nd education.  If that happens to a kid from a wealthier family, it may not be as debilitating.

But so what, you have to mature faster?  Once you get to college, you learn quickly what it takes to make an 'A' in a class.  You realize that you might need to spend 30-40 hours studying for a particular test, but another person only needs to put in 20.  So what, make the 'A'.

At that point, everything is equal.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2007, 01:19:20 PM »
Interviews.. addendums... all great ideas to replace checking off that little box. But at the end of the day, AA is still AA. Even if there is no box to check off on your application, the school is still checking it off on theirs. Those addendums just slow down the process.

I'm not an AA fan, but I get why it's there. Until there's a reasonably equal number of those classifed as URM in white collar jobs like business, science and law, AA will exist. As another poster mentioned, it's hard to picture yourself doing something when it isn't the norm for "your people" to take on those kinds of roles. AA will continue to be hardest "soft factor" in admissions decisions for that reason.

I have a Jewish friend who will reject clothing on the basis of it looking "too goy-ish," too Gentile, on her. It's against her social norms. That's a silly example, but you get the idea. Select Whites, Asians and East Indians may be disadvantaged, but as a majority, you still have plenty of role models to look toward. Blacks and Native Americans don't have as many of these examples. The numbers are growing, but they still have a ways to go.

And no offense intended: I feel Hispanics have quickly become the over-represented majority in the US in the last several years, so I don't quite understand why Hispanics receive AA, but I suppose it has something to do with establishing role models and social norms, as well. I think this group will probably be taken off of the AA list before the others. We've made significant accomodations (IE: bi-lingual voting ballots and government literature) and there are a great number of respected government dignitaries and professionals (not to mention celebrities) of Hispanic descent. These people have earned great respect not only within the Hispanic Community, but in throughout the general population. Thoughts on Hispanic AA?
Vanderbilt 2010

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2007, 01:25:20 PM »
It's probably because there are less Hispanics than Blacks in college.  From my understanding, the Hispanic graduation rates are WAY lower than that of Black graduation rates.

c0in

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2007, 03:28:38 AM »
My mom is part Creek Indian and part African American but she looks more like a Native American. When she went to college she always checked the "other" box under race. My dad was part African American and Part Cherokee/Chickasaw Indian (he looked black) and always checked the "Black/African" box.

Sometimes I check "Other" and sometimes I check "Black/African." Mainly it depends upon what you want to be classified as, but as for outright lying about your race? It's shady, but insofar as I know it's a decision you can make and deal with the consequences if any.