Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Possible Consquences about lying that you are a URM?  (Read 28553 times)

HtownsFinest

• View Profile
Re: Possible Consquences about lying that you are a URM?
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 10:16:56 PM »
"To be sure, even urm's that attend affluent high schools must often overcome racial prejudices and discriminations unlike their white counterparts."

Jews are easily identifiable by their big noses and curly hair, and they must overcome prejudices ("greedy jew", hate jews because "they killed jesus," no Jews allowed at Yale for the longest time, "money-grubber," etc.) I think they deserve a leg up, surely!

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 10:51:21 PM »
Why do Mexicans get special treatment?  They are White and Indian...Same as how someone who is White and Black would get considered URM.  The one drop rule.
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

HtownsFinest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 10:57:01 PM »
Why do Mexicans get special treatment?  They are White and Indian...Same as how someone who is White and Black would get considered URM.  The one drop rule.
Mexicans' Indian blood comes from Indians south of the border. What does that have to do with us? Why are we obligated to remedy wrongs done by the Spanish centuries ago? By that same logic Jews should benefit because they were persecuted in a foreign land.

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 11:00:31 PM »

But where do you get this one drop rule?  This is what I'm asking in my poll in the other-minority forum.  If someone is 3/16's black, does that mean they can put on applications that they are black?  What percentage constitutes an ethinicity?

Could someone who's 1/32 Latino mark that as an ethnicitiy?

Has anyone ever heard of a school asking for proof?
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

HtownsFinest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 11:06:04 PM »
Jews are easily identifiable by their big noses and curly hair, and they must overcome prejudices ("greedy jew", hate jews because "they killed jesus," no Jews allowed at Yale for the longest time, "money-grubber," etc.) I think they deserve a leg up, surely!

lol. I do have a sense of humor so i guess i will take the above comment as sarcasm. i mean you cant really believe that this is the type of discrimination i was talking about.
Actually I'm dead serious d00d.

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 11:06:37 PM »
The one drop rule was a joke, but derived from the fact that if you were "one drop" black during slavery, you would be considered black and consequently, a slave.  It has nothing to do with righting wrongs done in a foreign country, it has to do with the fact that they aren't "White".

By the way, I have no idea what exactly "White" means.  It appears as if the United States census considers Middle Easterners "White".  Those damn White Muslim terrorists!!!
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

HtownsFinest

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 11:10:30 PM »
The one drop rule was a joke, but derived from the fact that if you were "one drop" black during slavery, you would be considered black and consequently, a slave.  It has nothing to do with righting wrongs done in a foreign country, it has to do with the fact that they aren't "White".

By the way, I have no idea what exactly "White" means.  It appears as if the United States census considers Middle Easterners "White".  Those damn White Muslim terrorists!!!
We may see eye to eye on this issue (ultimately) but let me continue my method of questioning... Why does AA rely on skin color alone? Are there not other easily identifiable traits? What about asians? They aren't white.

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 11:17:41 PM »
The one drop rule was a joke, but derived from the fact that if you were "one drop" black during slavery, you would be considered black and consequently, a slave.

It may have been a joke, but the question remains, is someone who is 1/4 African American, black enough to deserve special consideration? 1/8? 1/16?
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 11:19:42 PM »
I don't really know enough about AA to answer it's technical questions.  To me, it seems like a flawed system.  I think the problems AA tries to correct are more class based, than race based.  Same with the LSAT, I think if it discriminates, there is probably a higher correlation of Income VS LSAT Score than Race VS LSAT Score.

I must agree, Asians are not white, and the Japanese were put in internment camps in the U.S.  Like I said, I don't know all the technicals.

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 11:23:48 PM »
The one drop rule was a joke, but derived from the fact that if you were "one drop" black during slavery, you would be considered black and consequently, a slave.

It may have been a joke, but the question remains, is someone who is 1/4 African American, black enough to deserve special consideration? 1/8? 1/16?

My daughter (in my profile pic) is half-black, half-white.  Her mother (my wife) and I both have Bachelor's Degrees.  I will have a J.D. by the time she is four.  My wife will have a Master's by the time she is three.  My daughter should not benefit from AA in any way.  My wife and I do joke from time to time about sending her to a Private school up until she is in high school, and then send her to an inner city school, all in effort to get a higher class rank.  (We are kidding.....somewhat)
 ;D