Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Possible Consquences about lying that you are a URM?  (Read 28474 times)

dontknowwheretogo

• View Profile
Possible Consquences about lying that you are a URM?
« on: July 20, 2007, 02:46:22 AM »
Okay, just to give you some background...I am a minority, but I don't consider myslef a URM.  Nevertheless, most people when looking at me are very confused by my race, becacuse I'm mixed.  I could pass as mexican american if I wanted to, based on the color of my skin and the way I look.  Anyways, that really has nothing to do with my question:

Is there any negative consquences if you "check the box" saying that you are some kind of URM (African American, Native American, Mexican American, etc.) when you aren't when you are applying to law school?  I mean, law schools don't define what these different races mean.  Could you still qualify as a Native American if you grew up in a primarily native american community and identify with native americans and their culture?  The law school applications don't provide a specific defintion, so it seems like it's open to interpretation....and if you take it to the most liberal extent, maybe anyone can consider themselves to be a URM given the proper context, regardless of the color of their skin.  Also, it's not like law schools check the color of your skin, or verify your race somehow - since it's all self selection.  So why not check the box?  The advantages are too great to pass up, in terms of admissions and scholarships...depending on which URM you are its equivalent of getting a 6-9 pt boost on the LSAT.  And, they aren't going to revoke your acceptance just because you dont "look" like a particular URM right? 

This is a serious question - I have always wondered this.  I am not necessarily against affirmative action, but, I have always wondered what prevents people from just cheating - since there seems to be no or little verification that the person is infact the race they claimed to be.  Let me know your thoughts on this.

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Consquences about lying that you are a URM?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 02:51:40 AM »
As far as i know, from what ive read, you pretty much self identify yourself as whatever URM or color or race you want to claim.  As far as chekcing the black box and not being black?  You can be an eighth black and be white.  I have no idea though as to any consequence as getting caught lying...i mean, why would you even admit to it if they suspected you of cheating the system? 

im cursed- i have european american blood through and through, greek, and even though i am first generation here i get no special treatment like a black kid whose family has been here for 4 generations.  pretty shitttty if you ask me.  it all comes down to skin color i dont care what anyone else says.  and its all total bull shite, racist and bigotry. 
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

HAL 9000

• Sr. Citizen
  • What are you doing, Dave?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 03:19:51 AM »
OP

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,27879.0.html

im cursed- i have european american blood through and through, greek, and even though i am first generation here i get no special treatment like a black kid whose family has been here for 4 generations. pretty shitttty if you ask me. it all comes down to skin color i dont care what anyone else says. and its all total bull shite, racist and bigotry.

You are Greek-American. Greek is a national, not racial, category. Greeks are Caucasian/White. Your racial group, Caucasian/White, is over-represented in law school.

Cursed? Please explain why you are entitled to special treatment when your race dominates the law school population and the legal profession?
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error.

sstar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 03:33:13 AM »
titcr. thats exactly my point.
T'50 Class of 2011

mscmoreau

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 01:07:11 PM »
I was having similar thoughts.  I'm Italian, and can easily pass for Mexican.  I got a 164, so I'm not quite as dumb as a lot of the URMs out there who get into great schools and get great scholarships.  I take it they don't check up.  If they googled the high school I attended they'd see it was one of the top 100 in the country, but I figure the if the black guy I went to school with can get a leg up, why can't I?  He got a 162 on his LSAT and he's going to UMich. It bears further investigation, for sure.  Jeez, I hope the SC don't strike down AA in the meantime.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 01:34:24 PM »
I'm not quite as dumb

are you sure about that?
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

mscmoreau

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 01:37:15 PM »
You're right, maybe I am dumb enough to pass for a URM.  Thanks.

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 01:52:08 PM »
Seriously?

C'mon kids, lets not get Yanni going again.  ::)
Vandy 1L... really?

jitcher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 06:16:12 PM »
Quite simply, the possible consequence is that when get ready to take the bar exam and they look at your law school applications, they see that you lied about your race and don't let you sit for the bar.

Could you exploit the system? Maybe.  But checking the box on the application does little for you anyways unless you can tell how YOU being diverse will add to the law school. 

And for those who think it's all about skin color- I don't look Native American at first glance.  The indians in my tribe don't have dark skin to begin with, and my mom is really white.  So when you put those two together, you don't end up with what most people imagine as a Native American.  Does that change the fact that I grew up on a reservation?  Or the fact that I grew up watching my grandmother make pottery while my grandfather told me our tribe's traditional stories/myths?

I guess my point is- skin color doesn't determine what your heritage.  But YOU know what culture you identify with.  And if you have no life experiences to back up why you identify that culture, then law schools may not care.  But if you do lie, then the consequences could be grave.  When you sit for the bar, your answer to that question may be questioned.  And if you do lied on your application, then you may not be allowed to sit for the bar.

HtownsFinest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 10:13:09 PM »
OP

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,27879.0.html

im cursed- i have european american blood through and through, greek, and even though i am first generation here i get no special treatment like a black kid whose family has been here for 4 generations. pretty shitttty if you ask me. it all comes down to skin color i dont care what anyone else says. and its all total bull shite, racist and bigotry.

You are Greek-American. Greek is a national, not racial, category. Greeks are Caucasian/White. Your racial group, Caucasian/White, is over-represented in law school.

Cursed? Please explain why you are entitled to special treatment when your race dominates the law school population and the legal profession?

Please explain why Mexicans are entitled to special treatment. PLEASE EXPLAIN IT TO ME.