Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Possible Consquences about lying that you are a URM?  (Read 28263 times)

Re: Possible Consquences about lying that you are a URM?
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2007, 12:52:07 PM »
What about the following hypothetical situation: A white person checks the african american box on his or her application in order to get admitted a T14 school.  After the school of his/her choice has admitted the student, the student informs the school that they were looking over their on-line copy of the submitted application, and noticed that they checked the wrong box for race.  Would the school dare withdraw the offer of admission? 

I thought about doing this.

You probably should have, seeing how now you're stuck at a TTT school.  ;D

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2007, 02:53:37 AM »
This is my litmus test. If you considered yourself a URM before applying to law school then you should indicate that on your apps.

If you didn't, (or magically didn't think of yourself as a URM until applying to law school) chances are that you shouldn't identify yourself as a URM.

If there is any uncertainty check other and explain your unique situation so you can get the appropriate boost. It is disingenuous, to simply put say (fill in the blank) when your like 1/16th of that  (socially constructed) race.

But isn't that their fault for making you check one box?
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2007, 09:08:53 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/12/us/12genes.html?ex=1302494400&en=94e1fa50f8081d8e&ei=5090

This one person from the article is a f-ing idiot.  She used the gene test to pick the most overrepresented minority:

"Ashley Klett's younger sister marked the "Asian" box on her college applications this year, after the elder Ms. Klett, 20, took a DNA test that said she was 2 percent East Asian and 98 percent European.

Whether it mattered they do not know, but she did get into the college of her choice.

"And they gave her a scholarship," Ashley said."

TeresaPinfold

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2007, 05:03:44 PM »
If someone found $100,000 in a parking lot and asked the person who lost it to claim it, I wouldn't lie to try to get the money, even if I had a good chance.

ilsox7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2007, 06:51:33 PM »
If someone found $100,000 in a parking lot and asked the person who lost it to claim it, I wouldn't lie to try to get the money, even if I had a good chance.

Some people have integrity, some do not.

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2007, 07:33:46 PM »
Those who do not, should not become lawyers.
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2007, 09:32:04 PM »
Damn Saints...
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2007, 11:40:49 PM »

That is a false assumption they don't make you check one box. Generally, you can check more than one box (though most people don't) or check other. Here is my broader point though.

If you truly self-identify with a certain race feel free to check that box. However, if you are just trying to game the system,by virtue of the fact that your 1/16th (whatever race) then you shouldn't.

It is simply dishonest to traditional urm's and adcomms to represent yourself as a whole member of just one category when your 1/16th of that category.(this applies to individuals trying to game the system)

I just tried checking more than one box on the available applications for schools I'm applying to this coming cycle (Duke, Cornell, Notre Dame, and William & Mary) and not one of them lets you check more than 1 box.

People are talking about integrity, but "gaming" the system when they refuse to provide clear definitions or standard is not unethical.  What does it mean to identify with a race?  Does a 100% black person raised by a white family who was never (and I know this might be a stretch) discriminated against and comes from a privileged background identify with being black?  Or does a 25% black person raised in an impovershed household deserve this boost?

This check box application of diversity is BS to begin with, and there's nothing wrong with using it to your advantage.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)

ilsox7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2007, 12:06:14 AM »

That is a false assumption they don't make you check one box. Generally, you can check more than one box (though most people don't) or check other. Here is my broader point though.

If you truly self-identify with a certain race feel free to check that box. However, if you are just trying to game the system,by virtue of the fact that your 1/16th (whatever race) then you shouldn't.

It is simply dishonest to traditional urm's and adcomms to represent yourself as a whole member of just one category when your 1/16th of that category.(this applies to individuals trying to game the system)

I just tried checking more than one box on the available applications for schools I'm applying to this coming cycle (Duke, Cornell, Notre Dame, and William & Mary) and not one of them lets you check more than 1 box.

People are talking about integrity, but "gaming" the system when they refuse to provide clear definitions or standard is not unethical.  What does it mean to identify with a race?  Does a 100% black person raised by a white family who was never (and I know this might be a stretch) discriminated against and comes from a privileged background identify with being black?  Or does a 25% black person raised in an impovershed household deserve this boost?

This check box application of diversity is BS to begin with, and there's nothing wrong with using it to your advantage.

I thought this topic was started under the premise of someone checking a URM box when they knew they weren't a URM.  Of course if someone truly believes they are the URM of the box they check, it is not unethical.  But if you blatantly lie, it demonstrates a lack of integrity.  And in the end, those without integrity end up where they deserve to be.

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2007, 12:20:16 AM »
I thought this topic was started under the premise of someone checking a URM box when they knew they weren't a URM.  Of course if someone truly believes they are the URM of the box they check, it is not unethical.  But if you blatantly lie, it demonstrates a lack of integrity. 

It was, but my point is that there's a huge gray area between blatant lying and what the form is actually meant to solicit.

It may demonstrate a lack of integrity, but I think it would be difficult, if not impossible, for there to be repercussions, which is the subject of the thread.

And in the end, those without integrity end up where they deserve to be.

In Hell after a life as a multi-millionaire?
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82