Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Student Budget  (Read 3126 times)

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Student Budget
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 06:25:15 PM »
The first thing to do is get in touch with your school to see about increasing your budget. Many schools will make allowances for families with children.

Second thing to look at is whether your school has family housing. This is the most popular option at my school for families with children because it's cheap and there's a great support network built in so you can trade off babysitting duties and whatnot when needed. You may also want to check into what sort of childcare your school offers.

My school also advertises a lot of flexible positions on campus for spouses of students that your wife may look into. If she can find something to do when you aren't in class, you would avoid having to pay for childcare.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 10:04:11 PM »
There is only so much a school can do for you.  You can do what you want, but I don't know that I would necessarily mortgage your future even more because of child-care issues.  If money is going to be that much of a problem, it might be a better idea to go to school part-time while you continue to work.  You could even take a couple of years, work 2 or 3 jobs, and save money so you will have some extra to supplement what you can get in loans. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

hypergex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 01:29:46 PM »
There is only so much a school can do for you.  You can do what you want, but I don't know that I would necessarily mortgage your future even more because of child-care issues.  If money is going to be that much of a problem, it might be a better idea to go to school part-time while you continue to work.  You could even take a couple of years, work 2 or 3 jobs, and save money so you will have some extra to supplement what you can get in loans. 

I was just complaining that my school does not allow married students, or students with kids, to take out even $1000 more than the single ones. I would much rather go to my eyeballs in debt and actually see my kids growing up than the reverse.
1L - SIU

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 04:20:33 PM »

This is what I'm doing - it's not ideal as I really wanted to go to school full time but I just can't afford to live on that budget...so I'll be going to school part time and working part time.   
University of Toledo 0L